Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

My CD player is working again!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 04:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My CD player is working again!

I've got the Bose system and a few weeks ago, it started giving me a 'CD Err' message every once in a while after putting in a disc. Then just over a week ago, it started spitting the disc back out after a few seconds. Two days later, the disc would go really slowly in, the come really slowly out after about 5 seconds. Well I checked out the How to's and decided to try out the fix (How to dissasemble your Bose Headunit (95-96) - about halfway down the page)

Well, I took the whole thing apart, resoldered all the resistors I could reach, and then put everything back together. Here's a pic:

The circled resistors are the ones I resoldered. There was one or two I just couldn't reach.

I gotta tell ya, I was a bit shocked when I put in a disc and it slid in nice and quick, then it started playing immediately. I wasn't really expecting it to work but thought I'd give it a shot since I don't listen to the radio and all my old tapes are sitting in a box somewhere buried under other boxes in the basement.

So here are a few things I found: taking the head unit out of the center console was the toughest part of the job, and it wasn't all that tough, just awkward. Taking the unit apart was really easy. Since I've never used a soldering iron before, it took a bit of practice on an old 33.6 modem I had lying around before I felt comfortable with soldering on the Bose board. And putting things back together (including the center console) was a whole lot easier than taking it apart.

One thing I would have done differently in hindsight would have been to park either on a flat section of road, or even on a slight decline. I found working on the center console was uncomfortable, since even after adjusting the seats I found myself leaning back, which made the work just a bit harder than it should have been.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:17 PM

you lucky bastard. Mine surely didnt come back to live, and caused me to buy a 99 BOSE off ebay. I like it though.

Congrats
Old 08-09-2005, 05:05 PM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by rocco5446
I gotta tell ya, I was a bit shocked when I put in a disc and it slid in nice and quick, then it started playing immediately. I wasn't really expecting it to work but thought I'd give it a shot since I don't listen to the radio and all my old tapes are sitting in a box somewhere buried under other boxes in the basement.
I am shocked too, I have no faith in that stupid head unit, it works when it's cold out and doesn't most of the time when it's hot. And to top that off, Bose in their infinite wisdom run their systems at (I think) 2 ohms instead of a normal 4, so to really be correct you would have to replace speakers with some wacko special ohm rating.
I also hate the fact that it's even more finicky when you try to make it play burned CD's.
As they say "no highs, no lows, must be Bose".
It doesn't matter though, my brother got a newer 2001 altima and he purposefully avoided the Bose head unit and his is crapping out the same way.
And before anyone gets smart, we both have tried the cleaning CD's, makes no difference.
Nissan seems to install crappy stereos that don't last very long.
My mom's cherokee doesn't have those problems, neither my other brother's land rover.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:22 PM

MAN!!! i didnt solder that many. But when i did solder the 2 near the bottom left, somehow i messed something up and my radio didnt work or nothin. I should tamper with it some more when i have free time, if i get it to work I'M SELLIN THAT SH**.
congrats. man...this brings me back to the time when i first got on the org. i remember me and mdeezy screwin with those damn HU's for like days straight.
haha
Old 08-09-2005, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
you lucky bastard. Mine surely didnt come back to live, and caused me to buy a 99 BOSE off ebay. I like it though.

Congrats

Is there any info on which units are interchangable? I need to find a CD player for my 99 and I see plenty of 98-97 Bose units but they look somewhat different than mine.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:26 PM

i'm assuming they all connect the same. i have a 99 headunit currently thati bought from ebay, and my car is a 95. so i dont see why there would be a different plug in any of the other 4th gen hu's.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 97SEdriver
I am shocked too, I have no faith in that stupid head unit, it works when it's cold out and doesn't most of the time when it's hot.
Man, that just reminded me. I had my car at a body shop getting some work done about a month and a half ago, and it was one of the hottest days of the year. After picking it up and driving for a while, I popped a disc in and got the 'cd err' message for the first time. Then it was pretty intermittent, but yeah, on really hot days, it just wouldn't work. Cool thing is, today was pretty damn hot and it worked like a charm.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:48 PM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by rocco5446
Man, that just reminded me. I had my car at a body shop getting some work done about a month and a half ago, and it was one of the hottest days of the year. After picking it up and driving for a while, I popped a disc in and got the 'cd err' message for the first time. Then it was pretty intermittent, but yeah, on really hot days, it just wouldn't work. Cool thing is, today was pretty damn hot and it worked like a charm.
I hate my head unit, it sucks, and oh yeah, I'm down to 3 buttons, so I can't back skip or program (repeat etc.) anything anymore.
Did I mention I hate my head unit?

Bose
Old 08-09-2005, 11:48 PM

well, mine did the same thing just out of nowhere, turned the car on, didnt work...i changed my fuses, it came bak and was never the same. it started keeping my cds, so after two or three punches it would give me my cds bak, and would work as long as i put in a cd that i really wanted to listen to, cuz i wasnt gettin it bak!! after punchin the sh*t out of it so many times, the display dissappeared but i still had radio, but soon that went away, and only two things worked on my bose, and luckily they were the important things...volume and bass. but that even suked cuz wen i went on a road trip it changed from my favorite station to some love music 2 hours away!! so i took it apart but couldnt get any screws to come out, tried drilling two holes apart with a dremel (dont ask), the dremel glowed bright orange and melted, so i was stuck, put it together yesterday and nothing now. no radio wutsoever, so i gotta go today and buy an in-dash monitor and a new player!!
Old 08-10-2005, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by PeterK
Is there any info on which units are interchangable? I need to find a CD player for my 99 and I see plenty of 98-97 Bose units but they look somewhat different than mine.

ALl years are interchangable. Any year will fit any year other year, the only difference is they look different, but they all work just the same.

The 99 Bose looks the Best out of them all.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:10 PM

A question about the CD Err message....

My Bose CD player will frequently not play discs, but I have only seen it say "CD Err" once. Every other time, it just makes noise like the laser is searching for the right track on the disc but never gets there. Is this the same problem. Do you think this soldering might do the trick? Did you have the same symptoms (i.e. hearing a sound but getting no "CD Err" message most of the time)?
Old 08-10-2005, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by isawyou
A question about the CD Err message....

My Bose CD player will frequently not play discs, but I have only seen it say "CD Err" once. Every other time, it just makes noise like the laser is searching for the right track on the disc but never gets there. Is this the same problem. Do you think this soldering might do the trick? Did you have the same symptoms (i.e. hearing a sound but getting no "CD Err" message most of the time)?

Sounds like your discs are dirty, a cleaner should do the trick for you.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:31 PM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by MDeezy
Sounds like your discs are dirty, a cleaner should do the trick for you.
Could be, but not always, because my stupid head unit right AFTER you clean it will do the same thing, and I don't even punch the thing like MaximaSpd85 does. I think at some point I'm just going to break down get a new one and go to town on the Bose like that copier in "office space"
Old 08-10-2005, 05:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My **** sorta "works", but... usually buttons don't light up, but if I sock the HU really hard, the buttons light up for a few seconds; display randomly comes on about 5% of the time; get random white noise while playing CDs...
Old 08-11-2005, 10:56 AM

Thanks, but I don't think it is due to dirty discs, as it worked perfectly with all my discs until about two weeks ago. Then, suddenly, I have the same problem with all of them. If it were due to dirty discs, I think it would not hit them all suddenly. I bought a lens cleaner, but that did no good. I guess I'll just buy a replacement.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:33 PM

supposidly you could also replace it with a bose headunit from a 2002 infinity, not sure how accurate that is but it looks way better than the 4th gen hu's
Old 08-11-2005, 03:38 PM

I'm pretty sure it wont fit without modification.