Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

New System = Need ideas/help with trunk setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005 | 07:30 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

You probably need more power to those interior speakers. The can handle alot and will sound better with more power.

filtor do you have pics of you're system? A website?
Old 09-13-2005 | 08:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

In my last system, i had a 4channel amp putting 50X4. With this setup, its suppose to be putting 75 and its a JL Amp vs. the Planet Audio 4channel i had before. The output and soundquality was WAY Better with the planet audio 4channel and mbquarts. But i'm probably going to end up going with a 4channel instead of the 2channel anyways, i don't like not having the front sound stage.

But here's my other question, at high volumes the 2 channel amp will cut out completely, with only the sub playing. This is with the car ON and Running. WIth the car off, i am able to go higher and the speakers sound better. Does anyone know why this is? This stumps me because i would think if the alternator or battery is struggling it would cut out the sub amp. I'll have to see what they used for a ground or something for the 2channel. Any thoughts?

Overall, the bass is incredible with this system. More than satisfies me there, but the highs just don't cut it, it sounds raspy and muffled. I would much rather take good sounding mids and highs anyday.
Old 09-13-2005 | 09:23 PM

I agree that the installer probably didnt even tune the deck. The Alpines are definitely a PITA to tune. Read your manual, or find someone who knows what theyre doing.
Old 09-13-2005 | 10:00 PM

I worked with iPersonalize tonight and did EQ Settings and crossovers. This helped a little. Still doesn't explain why it would cut out only when the car is on though.
Old 09-14-2005 | 09:45 PM

Thanks to DCman he was nice enough to help me figure out the problem. We found out that the installers used 8gauge wire from the batter and to the amps. So i'll do what he recommends and run at least a 4gauge. I agree that when 8 gauge is rated to 400watts, and when i'm pushing 800rms, i'm going to have some problems. So i'm going to swtich out the wire and that should solve most of my problems. So props to DCMan for helping me out!
Old 09-14-2005 | 09:47 PM

actually if it was me i would use 0 gauge but then again thats me :] . 4 gauge should do the job. Remember BIGGER IS BETTER!!!!
Old 09-14-2005 | 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by DcMaN
actually if it was me i would use 0 gauge but then again thats me :] . 4 gauge should do the job. Remember BIGGER IS BETTER!!!!
I'll see what they can do for me. Maybe i can get away with them doing 0 for me
Old 09-14-2005 | 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by nismos14
You probably need more power to those interior speakers. The can handle alot and will sound better with more power.

filtor do you have pics of you're system? A website?
I have been lazy as hell. I was waiting for my new computer to load my pics but $ has been holding me back. I will post up as soon as I can. There is an older pic of the trunk in the show me what's in your trunk thread. Same equipment, just re-arranged. And the addition of the deadener and 0 gauge throughout. I just need to get off my lazy butt.
Old 09-15-2005 | 12:08 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by kpr10is
Yes, he hated them.
With a passion and Gave them away !

Cant believe that pic was still floating around...my little weekend project.
Old 09-15-2005 | 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by DcMaN
Not always, especially in lower wattage/amperage applications. Going to a larger wire than needed could yield poor results.
Old 09-15-2005 | 05:39 AM

What would you reccomend don? 4 gauge from battery to amps?
Old 09-15-2005 | 06:06 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

With 800 watts 0 gauge would be fine. Plus it leaves you the option of adding more without having to change wiring again.
Old 09-15-2005 | 10:48 AM

honestly your pushing about 1000 RMS 4 gauge should be fine. But its gonna be pretty hard to find a distro for 4 gauge in and 4 gauge out. Thats why i said go with 0 gauge in and then split it off to 4 gauge.
Old 09-15-2005 | 11:32 AM

So use 0Awg because its difficult to find a 4 in, 4out dis block??

4awg back to 8 from the dis block is sufficent.
Old 09-15-2005 | 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Not always, especially in lower wattage/amperage applications. Going to a larger wire than needed could yield poor results.
How so? Do you have some documentation to backup your statement?

I would definately go 0 gauge.
Old 09-15-2005 | 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by cscm094

Please tell me your joking. I am honestly not sure if your joking or not.

There are guidlines from every manufacturer. I personally would do 0ga in this application, but that is just what I get from the sheets I have. For 1000+watts anyway. 4ga will however work as well.

There are also pleanty of 4ga to 4ga distribution blocks around. Should be easy to find.
Old 09-15-2005 | 04:45 PM

Isn't there a 2 ga as well? Just wondering if that might be an option as well.

Also, wouldn't 0ga back and 8 from dis. block be kind of pointless? Wouldn't 8 just still bottleneck it?

thanks for the input guys, i'm taking the car back this weekend.
Old 09-15-2005 | 08:22 PM

How about YEARS AND YEARS of installs and sales

Or how about this. I've been doing installs for a little over 8 years now... and I agree with Don.

Old 09-15-2005 | 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by filtor1
Please tell me your joking. I am honestly not sure if your joking or not.

There are guidlines from every manufacturer. I personally would do 0ga in this application, but that is just what I get from the sheets I have. For 1000+watts anyway. 4ga will however work as well.

There are also pleanty of 4ga to 4ga distribution blocks around. Should be easy to find.
No why would I be joking? He's trying to tell me that using too much of a conductor will result in a loss of power. Incorrect. This is simple. Think of a water pipe. A larger diameter power will allow more water flow. A larger gauge wire will allow more current. I've been doing this for a while now, and work on half-million dollar cars everyday. Don't question my opinion.

-Chris
Old 09-15-2005 | 08:35 PM

No why would I be joking? He's trying to tell me that using too much of a conductor will result in a loss of power. Incorrect. This is simple. Think of a water pipe. A larger diameter power will allow more water flow. A larger gauge wire will allow more current. I've been doing this for a while now, and work on half-million dollar cars everyday. Don't question my opinion.

-Chris
OK, I did industrial water treatment for 8.5 years. Your analogy is terrible. Not only does pressure and actual volume of water play into the equation, water has totally different properties than electricity. Therefore your argument is invalid. If I am wrong, at least tell me why using an applicable and reasonably close comparison. I will admit it with any proof you can show me. And finally, I will question anything I believe, with my experience and education taken into consideration, is innacurate or misleading. Sorry. But not really.

On a civilized note. Please show me why I am wrong. I will give credit where it is due.
Old 09-15-2005 | 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
With a passion and Gave them away !

Cant believe that pic was still floating around...my little weekend project.
Yep, I had to dig it up

cscm, you should really simmer down and listen to those who know more than you. Like Don for example.
Old 09-15-2005 | 09:11 PM

speaking of Don where is he? btw he was never really finished with that setup in the 4thgen
Old 09-15-2005 | 10:36 PM

Im guessing hes been busy as hell.
Old 09-15-2005 | 11:39 PM

i have a 4 gauge in 4 out distro...easy as cake to find.
Old 09-15-2005 | 11:47 PM
Hit 'em with the stun gun

Originally Posted by kcidmil
How about YEARS AND YEARS of installs and sales

Or how about this. I've been doing installs for a little over 8 years now... and I agree with Don.

OK, I did industrial water treatment for 8.5 years. Your analogy is terrible.
cscm094=
Old 09-16-2005 | 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by MainSource
cscm094=
Two BMW's in my driveway, one of which is turbo running low 13s (at the age of 19), and you people still driving cheap asian cars =

The fact of the matter is, if you want to cap yourself with 4 ga, go right ahead. I would use 0 gauge. That way if i ever wanted to throw in another or different amp, just tap right off that distro block and not have to worry about running another dedicated wire to the battery. But I mean maybe you should listen to the guy who works on water systems for 8.5 years because that really has alot to do with car audio. Or maybe the guy who couldn't provide me with documentation as to why too much of a conductor yields a power loss. E-Thugs, gimme a break.
Old 09-16-2005 | 06:40 AM

Btw I've done some research and drawing a maximum of 90 amps, over 17 feet of conductor here are the voltage loss/resistance values:

4 gauge: 0.0043ohms / 0.387 drop in volts
0 gauge: 0.0017ohms / 0.153 drop in volts

There are laws to this sort of thing, not just opinions. But go ahead, use 4 gauge.
Old 09-16-2005 | 07:54 AM

I haven't talked to them yet about rewiring the car, but i will ask how much of a $$ difference there is between the two. Do i have to jump between 0 and 4ga or would 2ga be something to consider as well.

cscm, that's interesting research. That's quite a big difference in voltage drop. I'll try to get as low as ga as possible.

Also, what do you guys think of the 300/4 amps? Would it be worth the extra money to go with that instead of the 2 channel?
Old 09-16-2005 | 08:16 AM

Two BMW's in my driveway, one of which is turbo running low 13s (at the age of 19), and you people still driving cheap asian cars =

What does this have to do with the debate? Nothing.

The fact of the matter is, if you want to cap yourself with 4 ga, go right ahead. I would use 0 gauge. That way if i ever wanted to throw in another or different amp, just tap right off that distro block and not have to worry about running another dedicated wire to the battery.

Good point. I agree totally. Especially if upgrading is in the car owners plans.

But I mean maybe you should listen to the guy who works on water systems for 8.5 years because that really has alot to do with car audio.

I only brought up my previous work experience to nullify a terrible analogy. Nothing more. An unquailified example, such as yours, was just that.

Or maybe the guy who couldn't provide me with documentation as to why too much of a conductor yields a power loss. E-Thugs, gimme a break.

I still havent seen your explanation or documantation. A link would be sufficient. I personally also agree that a smaller power wire will yeild a larger voltage drop over a specified legth given the same initial level of voltage. I believe the differential to be very small and ultimately negligable in this application. I know I would never notice a fraction of a volt when listening to my stereo. Not audibly atleast. I also don't think the corresponding amplifiers output would be drastically effected by this small difference either.

No E-thuggery here. I don't take well to people telling me what I can and cannot do. Sorry if such a small intellectual argument threatens you to the point where you have to tell others that are here to learn what to do.

Just for the record, you set the tone here with your first post. I just helped keep it alive.
Old 09-16-2005 | 08:28 AM

Btw I've done some research and drawing a maximum of 90 amps, over 17 feet of conductor here are the voltage loss/resistance values:

4 gauge: 0.0043ohms / 0.387 drop in volts
0 gauge: 0.0017ohms / 0.153 drop in volts

There are laws to this sort of thing, not just opinions. But go ahead, use 4 gauge.

Does this take into account for different types of copper wire? Higher/lower strand count? If this is true in all fo the above cases, the drop in voltage and ohms IS negligable. Especially for a daily driver.
Old 09-16-2005 | 09:14 AM

I still havent seen your explanation or documantation. A link would be sufficient.
http://www.stealth316.com/2-wire-resistance.htm
Old 09-16-2005 | 10:44 AM

Kick a$$ resource. Saving in my favorites. That might come in handy one day. I appreciate your contribution.
Old 09-16-2005 | 03:45 PM

Cheap a$$ asian cars have half the maintenance costs of your overgrown german junk. Especially true of Hondas. God you could build a whole Civic hatch for less than $25,000 and that's from the ground up.

Btw... the DEA usually starts watching when they notice 2 BMWs in the ghetto

And also... is only used when you have a bunch of people backing you up. And last time I noticed, this site had mainly Maxima owners, not BMW
Old 09-16-2005 | 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by kcidmil

Cheap a$$ asian cars have half the maintenance costs of your overgrown german junk. Especially true of Hondas. God you could build a whole Civic hatch for less than $25,000 and that's from the ground up.

Btw... the DEA usually starts watching when they notice 2 BMWs in the ghetto

And also... is only used when you have a bunch of people backing you up. And last time I noticed, this site had mainly Maxima owners, not BMW
Dude your rediculous. Look at your $hitbox. Its a 3rd gen. Might as well drive it to the junk yard. I used to have a 4th gen, at least that was a real maxima. I've owned/driven/fixed all types of cars. My "overgrown german junk" (i don't know what that means) has yet to give me a problem. Anytime I worked on my maxima it was a pain in the ***. Even down to the hardware used, the quality is just not the same. Maybe when you learn how to fix a car and not bring it to a mechanic you'll understand.

Ghetto? Hmm cool dude

EDIT: Nice rims ahahahahhahahahahahhahhahaha
Old 09-16-2005 | 04:41 PM

Cscm, either grow the fu(k up, or leave. The end.

That is, if you dont get a vacation from Don first.
Old 09-16-2005 | 05:11 PM

Dude your rediculous. Look at your $hitbox. Its a 3rd gen. Might as well drive it to the junk yard.
our little "$hitbox" is known to last over 500K. let see YOUR bmw last that long.
Old 09-16-2005 | 05:29 PM

I used to have a 4th gen, at least that was a real maxima.
Talk about being a moron. The 3rd Gen is the last real Maxima. You know why? Of course you don't. You're too self centered and stupid to realize it. My generation of Maxima was the last one developed by Nissan itself. Your little POS 4th was the result of a merger with Renault. A french POS company.

Not only are you a even bigger idiot because of your lack of knowledge. You also assume too much. I am a mechanic and do my own work. The only thing I don't do is oil changes. Guess that's the part about being too lazy.

So if you're not a drug dealing ghetto living idiot. Then you're a spoiled rich brat or think that you're parents BMWs some how add to your "coolness". BTW... I REALLY, REALLY HATE little fu(king rich kids. GO OUT AND ****ING WORK FOR SOMETHING IN YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everything I own I worked to get. And not only do I work to keep food on the table for my family. I put my life on the line so your little snobbish *** can have 2 ****ing BMWs. OR THINK YOU HAVE 2 BMWs.

Don is working his butt off for the same thing. Going to work everyday to provide for everything he has, and having to deal with customers. Not too mention volunteering his free time to spread his knowledge and help others. To only be questioned by some punk who has 2 BMWs.

WOW 2 BMWs... WORLD.... EVERYONE, we all have to stop and look at cscm094's 2 hunk of junks.

I have no problem admitting my Maxima is a POS. All cars are POS. They all break down. Mine happens to have 15" motegis to travel on, hail damage, and engine that's gaining miles. whoopty do. It ****ing moves. And cost less than 1/4 of yours.

Old 09-16-2005 | 05:44 PM
Im izz sexay

Dude your rediculous. Look at your $hitbox. Its a 3rd gen. Might as well drive it to the junk yard. I used to have a 4th gen, at least that was a real maxima. I've owned/driven/fixed all types of cars. My "overgrown german junk" (i don't know what that means) has yet to give me a problem. Anytime I worked on my maxima it was a pain in the ***. Even down to the hardware used, the quality is just not the same. Maybe when you learn how to fix a car and not bring it to a mechanic you'll understand.

Ghetto? Hmm cool dude

EDIT: Nice rims ahahahahhahahahahahhahhahaha

I call BS on the whole you got two BMW's. I call your bluff. I live within 30 mintues of you what's up, mini-meet?? I go to shelton every once in a while also. BTW I use a 5 guage wire that can handle 900 rms with a inline 100 amp fuse. Good enough for my Solobaric 12L5's powered with a Cheap Legacy 1200rms/2400max LA2070. But I paid 50 off of eBay for and it does a decent job. Can't argue that.
Old 09-16-2005 | 07:16 PM

Within the context of a good argument, open debate is good and refreshing. I think we might need to refocus this thread. I would hate to see regulars take a vacation over someone so clearly geared tward getting his own.
Old 09-16-2005 | 08:26 PM

Documentation? Nah dont need it, try drinking soda through a fire hose and lemme know how that works out for you. Larger isnt always better.

I could give two ***** about your theory and your "supposed half million dollar car" jobs that you do. I think your boss has even less sense than you IF what claim has ANY validity at all.

Furthermore, this is a MAXIMA website in which case...
A: You dont have one
B: You *try* to bash them
C: I personally think your an @ss

So....you can take your arrogant attitude down a few notches or leave. This isnt baseball and theres no 3 strikes, consider this your first and only warning. Have a very pleasant evening.

Quick Reply: New System = Need ideas/help with trunk setup