Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Problem with CD player...help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 09:40 AM

Problem with CD player...help!

Hi guys, I have a 97 SE and the bose audio. The Cd player will play regular CDs just fine, but it wont play CDR's at all. I like making mix Cds and stuff but they wont play. I tried getting one of those Cd laser lens cleaners from Wal Mart but that didnt work either. Anyone else have the same problem?
Old 10-14-2005, 09:49 AM
Team Ramrod

Are the tracks mp3 format? If so, then they won't play.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:55 AM

get yourself a nice aftermarket cd player
Old 10-14-2005, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by enjoyincubus504
Are the tracks mp3 format? If so, then they won't play.
no they arent they are converted its not an mp3 cd payer. and i dont want to get an aftermarket ive had 3 stolen which also included my car being damaged, cds getting stolen and a radar detector and gps. if they see its factory they wont take it.

The screen comes up saying "err" most of the time. sometimes it will play kinda but skip so badly that you literally cannot hear what song its on or anything
Old 10-14-2005, 10:41 AM

the bose systems back then didnt have the technology to play cdr's and cdrw's ... they will play sometimes if your lucky but the reason it skips is because the technology is out dated .. get a simple looking aftermarket cd player .. or get a dvd and mount is under your seat and then u can play your cds through that
Old 10-14-2005, 10:45 AM

My old '95 maxima started doing this a few months before i wrecked it last year (but before it did this it had NO trouble with CD-Rs so it definetly had the technology to play them) , and a bunch of ppl told me that it was a bad headunit and i needed to replace it, also i've heard there's a connection inside the HU that has gone bad and needs to be resoldered so if anyone has the link to that you could try that...luckily when this happened i was able to use my factory changer to play cd's.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by ThisMaxIsTight
the bose systems back then didnt have the technology to play cdr's and cdrw's ... they will play sometimes if your lucky but the reason it skips is because the technology is out dated .. get a simple looking aftermarket cd player .. or get a dvd and mount is under your seat and then u can play your cds through that
you know thats what i was thinking but then i thought a cd laser is a cd laser. how big of a difference is there btwn a cdr and a pre recorded? they are both in the same (CDA) format once finalized. I mean they are the same thing really as far as I know. A professional Cd is burned on a computer by a very similar process as the CDRs
Old 10-14-2005, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by dontouchmymoney
My old '95 maxima started doing this a few months before i wrecked it last year (but before it did this it had NO trouble with CD-Rs so it definetly had the technology to play them) , and a bunch of ppl told me that it was a bad headunit and i needed to replace it, also i've heard there's a connection inside the HU that has gone bad and needs to be resoldered so if anyone has the link to that you could try that...luckily when this happened i was able to use my factory changer to play cd's.
yeah that would be fantastic if someone could provide that
Old 10-14-2005, 10:48 AM

My problem is the opposite. It plays some origionals but always plays burnt CD's so I have to burn everything I buy before I can play it in my car. It also has a problem with playing in different weather. When it's hot outside, it won't play. I haven't had it for a winter so I guess I'll find out about how she likes the cold later.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by GREENlight
My problem is the opposite. It plays some origionals but always plays burnt CD's so I have to burn everything I buy before I can play it in my car. It also has a problem with playing in different weather. When it's hot outside, it won't play. I haven't had it for a winter so I guess I'll find out about how she likes the cold later.
thats weird. at least you can play cdrs though. it has to be a connection or something. i hope someone knows what to do about it
Old 10-14-2005, 11:08 AM

http://madchef.5u.com/maxima/bose/fixes.html

#2 (i think) is the problem i used to have , and sounds like yours too b/c it says "ERR" when you try to play a cd. Just check it out, it says you need to resolder all the resistors, so if you know someone who can do that (it's pretty basic really if someone has the tool) try it and see what it does. Also, one of my cd players in my room quit playing CD-Rs and eventually all cds. I tried a cleaning disc and it didnt work so what i did was take apart the top of the cd player and clean the lens with a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol. If you can get a LONG qtip or something give that a try too. Good luck.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by dontouchmymoney
http://madchef.5u.com/maxima/bose/fixes.html

#2 (i think) is the problem i used to have , and sounds like yours too b/c it says "ERR" when you try to play a cd. Just check it out, it says you need to resolder all the resistors, so if you know someone who can do that (it's pretty basic really if someone has the tool) try it and see what it does. Also, one of my cd players in my room quit playing CD-Rs and eventually all cds. I tried a cleaning disc and it didnt work so what i did was take apart the top of the cd player and clean the lens with a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol. If you can get a LONG qtip or something give that a try too. Good luck.

Mine`s not a boss unit but i have the same problem as well. when i first got the car it only plays regualr CD but not CD-Rs, so stupid me just keep on feeding it CD-Rs unit one day it quit playing any CDs LOL. It doesn`t show no err message but just keep on rejecting the CDs. thankx for the link, will try it once i got off work
Old 10-14-2005, 12:01 PM

Not that it matters but CD-Rs have an Ink on them that reacts to change color from the Ultravilot laser in the burner craeting light and dark regions. An Actual CD from the store has raised portions on it that refract the light away when the laser from the cd player hits it instead of absorbing the light like the CD-R. This is why leaving burned CDs in the sun ruins them (try it go ahead)
So there IS a difference in the surface of a store bought CD and a CD-R you burned, and sadly many of the older CD players could not cope with the difference.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have the 95 Bose & it plays CD-Rs fine...

anyone know what to do when the amps to the back speakers short out? you cant just stick aftermarket ones in there with the bose speakers, right?