Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

What is this part called?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 07:29 PM
Maxima lover

What is this part called?

So I'm trying to fix my volume control because it acts retarted whenever it is cold inside the car and was hoping I could just replace this part and it woud solve my problems. I don't know what it is called though or where to find it. I'm not sure if anyone has replaced it, but I wanted to try it before having to buy another unit.

Here is the part I need to replace.

Old 10-23-2005, 07:32 PM

take that to a local junkyard and see if you can get a hold of one.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:42 PM

I agree and disagree with AscendantMax.... good luck finding one at a junk yard at a reasonable cost. Around here, they strip all electronics and charge an arm and a leg for them.

It's also going to be very tough to find a replacement piece (typically I believe you would refer to this as a potentiometer or variable resistor). Its just plain going to be hard to find one that will work perfectly for that board.

I vote to replace the whole thing, just get an aftermarket.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have a radio already taken apart I'll sell you so you can get that part and any others you want. The radio is a 2001 though, piece looks exactly the same though.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:34 PM
Maxima lover

Originally Posted by GuZo
I have a radio already taken apart I'll sell you so you can get that part and any others you want. The radio is a 2001 though, piece looks exactly the same though.
I have a couple of questions. Is it the 2001 Bose out of a maxima? How much are you looking to get for it? Why did you take it apart? Was it in working condition?

Old 10-23-2005, 08:41 PM
Maxima lover

Originally Posted by Jake9190
I vote to replace the whole thing, just get an aftermarket.
I know. I was pretty happy with the Bose sound quality and loudness even though I know a lot of people say it's terrible. I was really just looking for the cheapest fix beacuse I don't plan to have this max forever. It still works great except for the volume. I was hoping it wasn't the "brain" of the unit and just this part, since it's only really bad when it's cold inside the car.

How much money would it cost to replace the HU with an aftermarket one? I don't need anything special and just want it to match the Bose SQ. I know I need some type of adapters to bypass the amps. I used to know all about the Bose system, but haven't read anything about it for a long time.

Old 10-23-2005, 11:21 PM
Maxima lover

Aww F'uck... I almost had to use my fire extinguisher when I plugged the Bose back in after putting it back together. It wouldn't turn on and then all of a sudden smoke. This sucks because I don't have any money to spend, but need to replace this g'ay @ss thing. Nissan never fails to disappoint me with the crap they put in their cars. I was real careful to make sure everything went back just how I took it apart.

Old 10-23-2005, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima lover
Aww F'uck... I almost had to use my fire extinguisher when I plugged the Bose back in after putting it back together. It wouldn't turn on and then all of a sudden smoke. This sucks because I don't have any money to spend, but need to replace this g'ay @ss thing. Nissan never fails to disappoint me with the crap they put in their cars. I was real careful to make sure everything went back just how I took it apart.
nissan is better at putting stuff into a car..even thought the stealerships suck..they are ALWAYS better then honda (period)
Old 10-23-2005, 11:51 PM
Maxima lover

Originally Posted by PandaXpress
nissan is better at putting stuff into a car..even thought the stealerships suck..they are ALWAYS better then honda (period)
I'd like to think that, but my family used to have a 90 accord that lasted over 200,000 miles without any kind of problems. We got rid of it for just something newer. We have had a 97 I30 that was pretty good until someone totaled it at 100K and then we got a 2002 maxima that has had a good amount of problems with only 70K on it. Then a 2002 Altima that is just plain built cheap. Then my 1997 has had so many problems it makes me almost cry to think of all the money I have spent on it. I can't believe I even bought the maxima. I'm sorry for hating on Nissan, I'm just mad I have to keep throwing money at this car for things that shouldn't be breaking so early.

Old 10-23-2005, 11:55 PM
Maxima lover

I have this unit in my old truck and I was wondering how much more I would have to spend to use it in the max with the Bose speakers. Also will the sound quality be at least equal to the Bose. It sounded not so great in my truck, but I was using super sh*tty speakers with it, so IDK.

Old 10-24-2005, 04:25 AM

[QUOTE=Maxima lover]I have this unit in my old truck and I was wondering how much more I would have to spend to use it in the max with the Bose speakers. Also will the sound quality be at least equal to the Bose. It sounded not so great in my truck, but I was using super sh*tty speakers with it, so IDK.

Awww sorry to hear about the problems. Definately frustrating.

I have an adapter I'm looking to sell that would work perfectly to let you use that deck with the bose speakers. It's a Peripheral NISAH4N (http://www.cardomain.com/sku/PERNISAH4N) never been used, bought and decided to replace everything instead of just the deck. Give me a shout if you're interested, I believe it should sound fine.

*Edit* I should also mention that you will need a DIN adapter kit, which normally run around $20, plus a wiring harness (I really recommend that you get *an* amp adapter so you don't blow the bose system).

Jake
Old 10-24-2005, 02:45 PM
RR5

Yikes, you could have just desoldered that part, take it to radio shack and see if they can match the specifications on that part. Jake9190 was right, it is a potentiometer (also known as a variable resistor) The problem you'd face is finding one that is the exact same size to reinstall on that pcb.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:52 PM
Maxima lover

Well since I am pretty sure the Bose is shot for good now I am trying to figure out what route I should go.

1. Buy used Bose HU off of ebay
2. Use my cheap JVC HU with all the special pieces to make it work with the Bose speakers
3.Use the JVC and just by new component speakers up front and not have any speakers in the back

Old 10-24-2005, 05:15 PM

that part looks like a potentiometer. pretty cheap actually at Radio Shack

oops just read above someone beat me to it.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:40 PM
Maxima lover

Originally Posted by Maximeltman
that part looks like a potentiometer. pretty cheap actually at Radio Shack

oops just read above someone beat me to it.
Yea and I would have just replaced except I put it back together last night and when I plugged it in, it started smoking and didn't turn on. That is why I said it was shot and no useable even if I fixed the volume control.

Old 10-24-2005, 09:20 PM
RR5

Originally Posted by Maxima lover
Yea and I would have just replaced except I put it back together last night and when I plugged it in, it started smoking and didn't turn on. That is why I said it was shot and no useable even if I fixed the volume control.
Ouch man. I hate working with electronics. I get stumped way to easily, but I'd rather take it to someplace and ask questions until I can 100% safely get it fixed.. or I leave it alone ...
Old 10-24-2005, 10:53 PM
Maxima lover

I'm really pretty good at electronics, I don't know what happened to this. I'm not to worried about it any more since I found some savings bonds I'm going to use to replace the system. College is overrated anyway.