Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Question bout Alpine satelite radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 10:12 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Question bout Alpine satelite radio

Hey guys I have a question, I got a older alpine CDA-7873 which works flawlessly for what I have in my car (got it right after I bought the car new in May 01) . I also have the Alpine XM box in the trunk along with XM subscription. But in the last week or so I got really pissed off as XM took down Ch 83- The System, which plays alot of good trance/dance and I am not happy bout it at all. I called XM to complain bout it- they repleaced the station with Christmas Carrolls ! I don't feel like listening to that ****, especially since one of my most listened stations is now gone. XM told me they will forward this info to their management... basically told me F-U.

I wanna go Sirrius and I noticed that you can purchase Alpine Sirrius boxes now that work with XM ready units. Do you think my head unit will work with it ? They call for Ai-Net compatible head unit- which mine is. Sirrius has more dance stations and I don't mind paying 2 bux more a month for it as long as the music selection I WANT is there. I been a XM subscriber for almost 4 years, and wasn't ever too happy bout the dance stations knowing that Sirrius has better ones.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:55 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Yes it will work.

Isnt The System channel 82 and Chrome is 83? I know I have "Special Xmas" on 82 now and now System. Although I cant complain when getting service for free.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Black...I know exactly what you mean. I was wanting to switch as well. Good thing the new H/U is Sirius ready.

Now all I need to do is sell this Alpine 9833/XM reciver(hopefully together) and I can work on getting the Sirius equipment paid for. Shameless plug....
Old 11-28-2005, 05:27 AM
You will lose

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Yes it will work.
Are you sure? I thought the radios that were marked as "XM ready", and not "SAT ready" would not run the Sirius tuner box, or the Ipod interface.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I need to chime in on this too. I have an Alpine CDA-9807 radio which is XM radio ready, but was thinking of getting the Sirius Alpine connect. Here's the link from Crutchfield http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1097008928421

Would this work or would I have to get a newer radio? Thanks!
Old 11-28-2005, 03:49 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by TAPOUT
Are you sure? I thought the radios that were marked as "XM ready", and not "SAT ready" would not run the Sirius tuner box, or the Ipod interface.
No actually Im not 100% sure on it, now that you point that out you are most likely correct. I dropped Alpine about 2 years back, so Im not completely familiar with all of their products, nor do I try to familirize myself with them anymore.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:09 PM
drag racing is for wussies

I called an b!tched up a storm to get my station back, but all I got was some guy who barely spoke english and I could only understand his name was Habib or something like that. And then I got some chick who spoke OK english but I felt bad bout b!tchn at someone who probably can't understand half of what I am trying to get accross. I wanted to speak to someone up higher, and she told me that I cant. So I send em a E-mail tellin em how I'm going to make the switch or just stick to my MP3s and wait till I can get internet in the car so I can listen to streams that I do listen to at home. XM dance selection sucks, their channels play old stuff all the time. I want Digitially Imported to become one of their channels .

I guess I will have to be a guinea pig and try out Sirrius on my old Alpine XM read-unit.