Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

LED's attached to speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 03:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

LED's attached to speakers?

I have a bunch of blue LED's on the way, and was thinking about using the extras that I don't use for my LED dome light in my car with the speakers in my basement. I would literally be hooking up the LED's (1 - 3 per speaker) into the back of each speaker where the input from the amp goes with the idea being louder music = brighter light.

However, I have a $400 amp hooked up to said speakers and I don't have a whole lot of understanding about ohms or what damage could be done to the amp if I try this. I know there are resistors I can buy that should allow me to do this, but I have no idea what kind of resistor or at how many ohms the resistor should be at. Any input is appreciated.

If this is dumb, and I'll damage my amp, just tell me and close the thread.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:17 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

You'll fry the LED in no time...I doubt there are economical resistors that could handle the load. Your only option would be to hook up a potentiometer to convert the load, but that's a helluva lot of work for such a simple mod. IMHO, just tap a 12V source, and light it that way.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:42 PM

a 12V source such as what? Or I guess I should ask if there another use I could put the extra LED's to if I can't find a use in my car? I'd like to do something indoors, but don't really have any other ideas aside from the speaker idea.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:36 PM

yea, you'de probably blow the resistors in no time. -
You could find out the wattage rating. Go to wal-mart find a small cd player with close to the same ratings - Put them around your living room window and annoy the hell out of your neighbors playing. "I wish you a merry christmas" over and over again.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgenmaxima
yea, you'de probably blow the resistors in no time. -
You could find out the wattage rating. Go to wal-mart find a small cd player with close to the same ratings - Put them around your living room window and annoy the hell out of your neighbors playing. "I wish you a merry christmas" over and over again.
that would be pricless to his idea though ^^^^
Old 11-29-2005, 08:08 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by Anarchist
a 12V source such as what? Or I guess I should ask if there another use I could put the extra LED's to if I can't find a use in my car? I'd like to do something indoors, but don't really have any other ideas aside from the speaker idea.
You'd need a 5.6kohm resistor for indoor use.