Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

New headunit questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 06:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

New headunit questions

Hey guys. I'm thinking about getting a new head unit to replace my Sony cdx-m630. I've been looking at the Pioneer Premier deh-p860mp. I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with it. I've heard good things about it. I was wondering if any of you know if I can hook up an ipod adapter and and aux input. I noticed that I need to get the adapters for them. I was planning on getting an Ipod nano in the near future and was wondering if I could hooked it up and have my PS2 at the same time.

I wondering what would be needed to hook up a sirius sat radio reciever. Would it be external or would it be controlled through the head unit. Pioneer's web site says thats it's XM and sirius ready but most online retailers just say XM. Thanks
Old 12-11-2005, 07:23 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Originally Posted by 99NJMAX
Hey guys. I'm thinking about getting a new head unit to replace my Sony cdx-m630. I've been looking at the Pioneer Premier deh-p860mpGood choice, great xover, display, and features. I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with it. I've heard good things about it. I was wondering if any of you know if I can hook up an ipod adapter and and aux input.I have the deh 80mp, which is the one under it. The xover is pretty much on par with an old radio i used to run the P1r, and it was , pretty much one of the most thorough units pioneer has put out, this is almost like a higher voltage reskin of the same radio I noticed that I need to get the adapters for them. I was planning on getting an Ipod nano in the near future and was wondering if I could hooked it up and have my PS2 at the same time.You can go with the CDRB 20. This will allow you to go ahead and daisy chain onto the unit. When you get the ipod station it should allow you to add an output unit IE ipbus input for the ipod, and then output that you can connect to another unit (Sirius), the same can be on your unit as well, which may allow you to run the ps2 as well, but I believe they max at two (UNSURE as their old capabilities were up to four units for each headunit)

I wondering what would be needed to hook up a sirius sat radio reciever. Would it be external or would it be controlled through the head unit.It will be an external box but can be controlled through the unit Pioneer's web site says thats it's XM and sirius ready but most online retailers just say XM.You have to purchase the proper unit. They sell a pioneer xm tuner and a seperate xm tuner. You buy which you want, it will go with either. Thanks
hi, I would say go with the two items on ip bus and run the ps2 on a fm modulated setup as a third source
Old 12-11-2005, 07:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have the non Premier version, the DEH-P8600MP. You can hook up both a Pioneer i-Pod adapter or use the auxillary input adapter. They have two auxillary adapters, one for around $30 bucks and the other for around $50 bucks. The more expensive one will allow you to use a cd changer. I emailed Pioneer directly about the i-Pod adpater, and they said it would only give me limited control over the Nano. The guy thought it would be better to go with the auxillary adapter.

You can hook up either XM or Sirius to it. I believe the newer units, lower in the line, have more control over all of these sources. These are nice units, I would also take a look at some Eclipse models.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:02 PM

i'm glad to hear that this is such a good unit. I just bought one off ebay, should get it in about a week. Only thing that bothers me (and i can punch myself in the face furiously for not noticing this before) its a pioneer refurb. But it supposed to be refurbed to the original specs, so as long as it has no scratches or defects on the face or ***** and does everything its supposed to i'm cool with it. It was a pretty good price at $300 shipped. The main thing that hooked me on this radio is the 6.5 volt pre-outs and the awesome x-over controls that pioneer has.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:18 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Great unit, but does have some faults. Primarily some issues with CDs either skipping or not playing at all. More importantly bad preouts. Common problem on them.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:18 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

+1 to Eclipse.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:04 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Great unit, but does have some faults. Primarily some issues with CDs either skipping or not playing at all. More importantly bad preouts. Common problem on them.
I wonder if mine had that probem? I

I have had both pioneer version and premier version, and I love the sound output and versatility. I have yet to try it in Pro mode though.