Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

How to diagnose amplifier problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 10:55 AM

How to diagnose amplifier problems?

I just sold one of my amplifiers, and the buyer installed it and swears that I ripped him off and it is defective. Here are the details, he purchased a JBL 1200.1 amplifier, I had only used it for about 50 hours. I had it connected to 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1's, bridged into 2 ohms, and they hit really hard, and everything was working perfectly. He gets the amplfier, hooks it up to a JBL GTi and tells me that it's not hitting as hard as he expected so the amplfiier must be bad. According to him, "my friend has the same amplifier on the same sub and it hits really loud, a lot louder than mine."

He's accusing me of selling him a 600.1 when clearly it is the 1200.1 model, I was showing him the fuses and so on. I was sponsored by JBL when I got the amp, and it came in a freaking factory sealed 1200.1 box. But that's beside the point.

I just need to know if there is a possibility that the amplifier is bad. I haven't been in the audio scene for a while, so I've forgotten a ton of stuff, but to my knowledge, an amp can't just "lose" power. If it's bad, it pretty much just doesn't work? He's telling me that the amp is hitting, but not as loud as it should. I'm trying to explain to him that maybe he hasn't wired the sub correctly, ie 4 ohms instead of 2 ohms, and it just appears that he isn't getting it. So can an amp still work but be down on power? He's telling me that everything functions properly, but that it has no power.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:18 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

It can be attributed to his box design, the amp not getting proper current, poor installation IE Bad ground, him not having any idea what the hell hes doing.

The amp powers up, provides output, just not what he wants he needs to troubleshoot his install and get it right.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:21 AM

it sounds like the person installing this is a TOTAL moron basing another persons system to his with his ears. this sounds like a problem with the integrity of the install. this is kind of besides the point, but if the amp works, and hits but not as loud as he thinks it should be, the amp was used and sold to him. i personally would tell him to F off based on the responses he seemsto give. there are so many isuses with his statement "a lot louder than mine": his friends car could be different, different box size/type, different electrical upgrades, different gain settings, different h/u settings, etc.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:34 AM

yeah, if it powers on, and the subs are actually getting some power, odds are the amp is still in good working order. installer error seems to be the culprit right now.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:47 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Originally Posted by Shadow
I just sold one of my amplifiers, and the buyer installed it and swears that I ripped him off and it is defective. Here are the details, he purchased a JBL 1200.1 amplifier, I had only used it for about 50 hours. I had it connected to 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1's, bridged into 2 ohms, and they hit really hard, and everything was working perfectly. He gets the amplfier, hooks it up to a JBL GTi and tells me that it's not hitting as hard as he expected so the amplfiier must be bad. According to him, "my friend has the same amplifier on the same sub and it hits really loud, a lot louder than mine."Can be a possibility he has it bridged incorrectly, not bridged at all, wires crossed, an rca sending no signal, low voltage on the rcas, etc. This in no way aligns with his claim that the amp doesnt work. It works just not what he was expecting. Bringhim on and we can troubleshoot with him.

He's accusing me of selling him a 600.1 when clearly it is the 1200.1 model, I was showing him the fuses and so on. I was sponsored by JBL when I got the amp, and it came in a freaking factory sealed 1200.1 box. But that's beside the point. he probably switched the board himself if he even dropped that stupidness

I just need to know if there is a possibility that the amplifier is bad. I haven't been in the audio scene for a while, so I've forgotten a ton of stuff, but to my knowledge, an amp can't just "lose" power. If it's bad, it pretty much just doesn't work? He's telling me that the amp is hitting, but not as loud as it should. I'm trying to explain to him that maybe he hasn't wired the sub correctly, ie 4 ohms instead of 2 ohms, and it just appears that he isn't getting it. So can an amp still work but be down on power? He's telling me that everything functions properly, but that it has no power.
I would have to say that this is on him, without an actual malfunction
Old 12-12-2005, 12:02 PM

Has he properly adjusted the gain? What about his x-overs? Running at the proper impedance?

Sounds like install error to me.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:01 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I'm trying to get the details out of him, but I don't think he knows what he's talking about, he talks like a stunna. So far all I know is, he hooked it up to his JBL GTi, swears it is wired perfectly. I've asked him if it's bridged properly, and so on, and he hasn't gotten back to me on that yet. I keep asking him to check his wiring, and he just keeps telling me that it's wired perfectly and it can't be that. His words were "I know a thing or two about these amps since my friend had one. On his, the gain was set maybe 1/3 of the way up and it pounded hard! On mine, I've maxed out the gain and it still doesn't hit that hard"

That's the extent of his details. And he's telling me that he took it to a stereo shop and they told him it was a 300wattx2 amp according to the serial number. I told him that was impossible since it is a monoblock and only has 1 channel.

If I can get more details, I'll post them. I just wanted to get some input on if it was possible that the amp is bad, or if he's just an idiot. I'm leaning toward the latter. I had 4 JBL amps in my car, all have been sold to different people, and the 3 others told me the amps are working great. The only reason I'm even entertaining his babble is that this amp was sold on eBay, and he keeps threatening negative feedback for fraud. And it's a huge hassle to get feedback removed even though it would be groundless.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:29 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

He does indeed sound like a moron. Comparing to a friends car? Does his "friend" have the same Exact car? HU? wiring? Impedance load? Enclosure design/build? Etc, etc...if EVERYTHING is not EXACTLY the same, then its pointless to compare. No two cars will sound alike.

Guy sounds like he had higher expectations and now just doesnt want to pay for it.

All in all I think hes full of ****

copy this thread and email it to him.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:01 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

no good if you dont let him know that don is an audio guru/shop owner/etc and tell him hell live on in our sigs forever.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:53 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Where does the guy live? If he is local you should check out his install and see if there is something he did incorrectly. Otherwise offer him a refund and have him ship it back to you so you can test it then go from there.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:00 AM
tastey wheat

what a retard. dont offer him a refund!! its not your problem that the amp didn't live up to his expectations, theres way too many variables to justify that the amp 'isn't working correctly'..

does it power on? yes. does it power the speaker(s)? yes. did you both agree on a price? yes. the rest is his problem.. its probably his setup thats the problem anyways