Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Alright, set me straight!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2001, 02:34 PM

ok, in 4th Gen forum, someone said that they bought a JVC KD-SH99 head unit, and that it plugged right into the Bose Din connector... go to crutchfield and check it out, it plays MP3's too... it looks decent, but i want to know what you think. im skeptical of it being compatible with the bose speakers. my HU is in need of repair which is $150 online, or replacing JUST the HU with a different one, but this means stock bose speakers gotta be compatible. i already have 2 10" subs, so im ok in that aspect. i know this is a repetitive Q, but straight up, can ANYTHING be put in place of the bose unit with NO problems with the stock speakers?? anything would help... PLEASE post a response!! Hall
Old 06-05-2001, 04:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Any HU will work as long as you install it with the proper adaptor.
Old 06-05-2001, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by Micah95GLE
Any HU will work as long as you install it with the proper adaptor.
If the impedance of the Bose speakers is 1 Ohm, as posted in several areas of this board, then it gets a bit more complicated than that. Most HU's are spec'd to drive 2 or 4 Ohm loads. If one of those is used to drive 1 Ohm speakers, then you run the risk of burning the HU since the load is too great. So at one particular volume setting, the HU will be over-working to drive the 1 Ohm speaker compared to driving a 2 ohm or 4 ohm speaker.

I haven't personally verified the impedance of the Bose speakers.. but if it is in fact rated at 1 Ohm, you run the risk of frying your HU. If you're willing to take that risk, then you can find the appropriate adapter, install an HU, and you will get sound... but you may definitely want to keep the volume down.
Old 06-06-2001, 07:38 AM

Originally posted by jashick

If the impedance of the Bose speakers is 1 Ohm, as posted in several areas of this board, then it gets a bit more complicated than that. Most HU's are spec'd to drive 2 or 4 Ohm loads. If one of those is used to drive 1 Ohm speakers, then you run the risk of burning the HU since the load is too great. So at one particular volume setting, the HU will be over-working to drive the 1 Ohm speaker compared to driving a 2 ohm or 4 ohm speaker.

I haven't personally verified the impedance of the Bose speakers.. but if it is in fact rated at 1 Ohm, you run the risk of frying your HU. If you're willing to take that risk, then you can find the appropriate adapter, install an HU, and you will get sound... but you may definitely want to keep the volume down.

alright, thanks... so basically you cant replace it with ANYTHING else at all... i mean every stereo can run an adapter, so nothing else is compatible with the stock speakers. i guess its time to send bose in for a repair then. Thanks for the know how... Hall
Old 06-06-2001, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by jashick

This is incorrect. The HU doesn't care what the impedence of the speakers is because the HU doesn't drive the speakers in the Bose system. As I stated before, any HU will work with the correct adaptor. I've seen it done many times.
Old 06-06-2001, 05:12 PM

This is incorrect. The HU doesn't care what the impedence of the speakers is because the HU doesn't drive the speakers in the Bose system. As I stated before, any HU will work with the correct adaptor. I've seen it done many times.
Damn, you're right... why was I thinking it went straight through?
Old 06-06-2001, 05:47 PM

ok, not to kill the subject... but if i do replace the bose HU with a different CD player, W/ an adapter.... i can not/ will not hurt/ruin the stock bose speakers?? i just want to do this once... i want to either repair the bose HU, or replace ONLY the HU with an aftermarket one. thanks for any clarification. Hall
Old 06-06-2001, 07:09 PM

new speakers...

are only $100/pair for good speakers, if they do burnout just get new ones...The bose sounds crappy as it is. Also, you should have no problem installing speakers yourself, it's very easy.

PJ
Old 06-06-2001, 09:51 PM

Re: new speakers...

Originally posted by speednsound007
are only $100/pair for good speakers, if they do burnout just get new ones...The bose sounds crappy as it is. Also, you should have no problem installing speakers yourself, it's very easy.

PJ
yeah, i know its easy to install, ive done many stereo installs, thing is i dont have the $ for new speakers all around, i just bought the car, and want something decent for now. thats the reason i asked about adding the CD player with stock speakers. now how are the tweeters set up on a 95 ?? will i have to replace them too?? or are those off the fronts?? alright.. let me know
Old 06-07-2001, 04:27 AM

You don't have to do anything to the speakers. Get just the HU and the adaptor.
Old 06-07-2001, 05:49 AM
OG and counting...

Truth be told......

Since each Bose speaker has its own amplifier, the head unit does not have to drive the speakers. Therefore, what Micah said is correct. Get the HU, get the adaptor, connect it and enjoy!