Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Should I change my speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 08:33 AM

Should I change my speakers?

Hey all,

Wanted your opinions on this set up…. I have a 05 Max non-Bose. I already changed out the head unit to a Sony CDX-MP70 (from the old car) Now I am considering changing the speakers to CDT’s

EF-8 - CDT Audio Carbon Fiber 8" Audiophile Subwoofer - Rear Deck
CL-6X - CDT Audio Classic 6.5" Coaxial Speakers - Rear Doors
CL-61A - CDT Audio Classic 6.5" 2-Way Component Speakers - Front Doors

This will run me about $350. I know this is not remotely a high end system but I wanted to get a bit more than stock. I am planning on using the OEM amp in the rear deck to power the subs and the head unit to power the speakers. I promised myself that I would keep this car as stock as possible. So what do you think? Would this be worth it or should I just leave it alone?
Old 01-03-2006, 08:48 AM

what you should do is sell the Sony HU and get an Eclipse. And all you'll need as far as speakers is a 3-way component system for the front (Eclipse, CDT, Rainbow, Focal, Diamond Audio, or DLS). Don't get a sub or any rear speakers. With a nice powerful amp powering the 3-ways, you'll have perfect, concert-like sound.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:53 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Don't use the stock amps to power ANY subs. Get rid of the stock amps. What are you smoking. Plus I thought the non-bose didn't have amps.

Also for a nice clean sound that setup would probably sound good. You just should mate the setup to a nice 5 or 6 channel amp. An ark 5150xxk would do wonderful with the setup you're looking at.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:57 AM

I actually like the sony HU, I can read the display in direct sunlight.... I really want to keep this car as stock as possible so the three way up front is out. I spend about half my time in the car with the radio off, so I am not overly inclined to spend a lot on a system. That's why I chose this route not expensive, little mod and hopefully an improvement over what I have.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:01 AM

hell if you like your head unit by all means keep it

but i would get a seperate amp to power the speakers. the head unit puts out ~22 watts (if that). properly amp the components to really make them shine.

i have the non-bose in the 6th gen as well. it's all about to change though
Old 01-03-2006, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by nismos14
Don't use the stock amps to power ANY subs. Get rid of the stock amps. What are you smoking. Plus I thought the non-bose didn't have amps.

Also for a nice clean sound that setup would probably sound good. You just should mate the setup to a nice 5 or 6 channel amp. An ark 5150xxk would do wonderful with the setup you're looking at.
Marlboro Ultralights (trying to quit). There is a amp on the rear deck a tiny little itty bitty one! I think it puts out 100 watts but not sure if its RMS or MAX. I do want to see how it sounds before I go the route of amp replacement. I want to try avoiding doing and entire system swap....
Old 01-03-2006, 09:12 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Alright, well most likely thats peak power. But how is it setup? With your sony headunit is this amp bypassed?
Old 01-03-2006, 09:23 AM

the system claims to have 280 watts (non-bose). to IMO it sure as hell doesn't sound like it has 280 watts to work with!
Old 01-03-2006, 09:30 AM

The sub amp is tied into the rear speakers, high level. So no the Sony has no control over the rear sub amp. What I want to avoid is running all the wires through the car making a mount for an amp etc. etc. What I am hoping to do is Plug and Play...
Old 01-03-2006, 09:30 AM
LeX
Nissan by Nature

if you're not planning on amping the speakers i would probably just leave them alone. If you can afford a small amp i would change them out

does the 2005 have an opening in the rear deck for that sub or would you have to custom make it? going for the sizes you want and if you want to stick to CDT i'd do this...

Directed Audio 600/4 amp from ikesound $88+ship
CDT EF-61 / 20 compsB stock $150+ship full warranty from CDT outlet(ebay)
CDT EF-8 subwoofer $90+ship (bridged to 2 rears of 4ch for 150watts power)

so here's a nicely balanced CDT system for $328+ship......
Old 01-03-2006, 09:31 AM

For 350, you could do very well. As recommended by others, I'd suggest looking into an Eclipse or an Alpine (983x), although its not quite as important if you're not going active. For speakers, If you're looking to keep it stock, I'd recommend only doing a 2 way (6"). Alpine Type-X's used to be a pretty good deal if you wanna stay with a passive crossover, or perhaps a lower line of DLS or Rainbow. I had JL XR's for a while, they're pretty good, and can be found for about 180ish used.

However, if you're not willing to at least put in a 2 channel amp (I'd recommend 150 watts/channel), then don't bother replacing the speakers. Although headunits claim to put out 50watts x 4, thats peak... RMS they put out about 15 watts per channel. Don't bother with the Bose amp(s).
Old 01-03-2006, 09:37 AM

The rear deck has a cutout for 6x9's but I trying to find the boss adaptor to go to the 8in. Yeah, I really did not want to go that route of getting an amp and wiring it, trying to go the minimalist route.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:40 AM

I guess its up to you what you really want. What are your goals from replacing the speakers? If you're satisfied with the stock Bose, stick with them. It doesn't seem like you want to go crazy SPL, as you're only looking at an 8.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:44 AM

i run the same interior speakers and you can run them off a h/u...although it is a sony deck. if you expect ANY bass from the mids you need to amp them. but running the CDT's off the radio is still worth it IMO than running stock speakers. however, amps are so cheap these days...just pick one up.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by shorty3870
I guess its up to you what you really want. What are your goals from replacing the speakers? If you're satisfied with the stock Bose, stick with them. It doesn't seem like you want to go crazy SPL, as you're only looking at an 8.
Just trying to get a little more volume but also cleaner sound with better highs...
Old 01-03-2006, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by slickrick
i run the same interior speakers and you can run them off a h/u...although it is a sony deck. if you expect ANY bass from the mids you need to amp them. but running the CDT's off the radio is still worth it IMO than running stock speakers. however, amps are so cheap these days...just pick one up.
Actually I just rid of two hIFonics amps one 4 way and on two way....
Old 01-03-2006, 09:52 AM

ok. Volume and clarity will best be achieved (unfortunately), with an aftermarket amp. For better highs, look for components or higher end coaxials (certain CDT's and Image Dynamics... both are essentially components that you can mount onto the mid). Coaxials will allow for an all around easier install.

Focus on your front speakers. For your lowend, an 8 would be very good to consider. In terms of mounting it on the rear deck, I don't know what the 6th gen's are like, but i know the 5th gen rear deck looks like it would need to b e reinforced pretty well to mount one on there. For an amp, a 2 channel would do fine for w/o a sub, but if you still want the 8, consider perhaps a 4 channel (bridge the rear channels for the sub).

I know this might start to sound complicated, but its really not bad.

Actually, some 6x9's might actually give you enough punch for you to be satisfied (they won't go as low as an 8, but it would make install easier)
Old 01-03-2006, 10:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by -Sin-
I actually like the sony HU, I can read the display in direct sunlight.... .
If thats a main priority, then keep it- cause my Eclipse is non-visible, let alone legible in direct sunlight...

I understand you want to keep everything simple and cheap, but i'd stay away from using the OEM amp on the sub- a small 2ch amp(bridge it) to power an 8" shouldn't set you back too much coin.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:02 AM

My other car had a Boston Accoustics Pros front and back with two JL 10's with a 200 RMS Hifonics 2channel amp and a 4 channel Hifonics 50rms amp but it took a lot of work to get that to get together, routing wires mounting amps custom box, dynamat etc. I just don't listen to the radio as much as before nor am I in the car as much, so I can't justify spending too much or putting the sam amount of work into it... at least in my own mind...
Old 01-03-2006, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
If thats a main priority, then keep it- cause my Eclipse is non-visible, let alone legible in direct sunlight...

I understand you want to keep everything simple and cheap, but i'd stay away from using the OEM amp on the sub- a small 2ch amp(bridge it) to power an 8" shouldn't set you back too much coin.
The rear deck of an 05 accomodates 2 6x9's or two 8's if I can find an amp that can mount close to the orignal location at a descent price, I would probably put that in, I don't wan't to loss a bit of trunk space
Old 01-03-2006, 10:32 AM

I'm not familiar with the '05, but couldn't you mount the amp on the back of the rear seats? Wiring just a sub amp wouldn't be bad at all. I can understand the need to keep things simple and especially saving space, I'm going to look into putting a 10 on the rear deck of my '00... I can't afford to lose trunk space (I have to bring all my crap to and from school... CT-> PA). I would imagine trying to use the Bose amp would be just as much hastle.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by shorty3870
I'm not familiar with the '05, but couldn't you mount the amp on the back of the rear seats? Wiring just a sub amp wouldn't be bad at all. I can understand the need to keep things simple and especially saving space, I'm going to look into putting a 10 on the rear deck of my '00... I can't afford to lose trunk space (I have to bring all my crap to and from school... CT-> PA). I would imagine trying to use the Bose amp would be just as much hastle.
The rear seats do fold down and I actually use that feature when I have something large to carry, so mounting on the seats is out as well.... My system is non bose and I am hoping the amp is for 4ohm and not the bose so maybe just plug and play
Old 01-03-2006, 10:55 AM

Hmm... well, maybe try 6x9's back there, if you really can't get an amp in there (understandable)... I wouldn't bother with 8's w/o a new amp.

For a small footprint amp though, I'd recommend Monitor 1's... the 4.70 could be bridged into 2 channels for 220w x2 at 4 ohms. They're somewhat difficult to find though. Run very hot bridged, but I've never had mine shut down on me.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:00 AM

I spend about half my time in the car with the radio off, so I am not overly inclined to spend a lot on a system.
dude, i just cruised last night in my car with the radio off like you said, and it was a revelation for me. I had never driven so peacefully. It was so tranquil. I could hear the breeze, the sound of the other cars. The whole driving experience was like nothing I had imagined. I realized that having the music blasting all the time was what was making me so anxious, so nervous and so unhappy all the time. If it weren't for you man, I probably wouldn't have made this discovery. Now I'm gonna sell all my expensive equipment (DLS speakers, amplifier, wiring, etc.) and get some basic coaxials and just hook them up to my head unit without amplification. And I'm also gonna be driving with the radio off a lot of the time like you. Thank you for what you've helped me disover. And by the way, I'm not being sarcastic in any of this. This is all true.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by ElVito1981
dude, i just cruised last night in my car with the radio off like you said, and it was a revelation for me. I had never driven so peacefully. It was so tranquil. I could hear the breeze, the sound of the other cars. The whole driving experience was like nothing I had imagined. I realized that having the music blasting all the time was what was making me so anxious, so nervous and so unhappy all the time. If it weren't for you man, I probably wouldn't have made this discovery. Now I'm gonna sell all my expensive equipment (DLS speakers, amplifier, wiring, etc.) and get some basic coaxials and just hook them up to my head unit without amplification. And I'm also gonna be driving with the radio off a lot of the time like you. Thank you for what you've helped me disover. And by the way, I'm not being sarcastic in any of this. This is all true.
Exaclty, I like hearing the rev and hum of the motor plus, it know how my car sounds so I can tell anything out of the ordinay just by the sound that my car makes.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:26 AM

Exaclty, I like hearing the rev and hum of the motor plus, it know how my car sounds so I can tell anything out of the ordinay just by the sound that my car makes.
there's always the volume ****/button
Old 01-09-2006, 06:28 PM

Ok Last question for you guys,
Between these two:
CDT Audio Classic Series CL-61 6 1/2" Components
CDT Audio SAVE CL-62 6 1/2" Comps -GRADE B
Which do you feel would work best off the HU (No amplification)?
Old 01-09-2006, 06:32 PM

I should also mention they are both the smae price $150, or is there something better for the money?
Old 01-09-2006, 07:10 PM
LeX
Nissan by Nature

Ok Last question for you guys,
Between these two:
CDT Audio Classic Series CL-61 6 1/2" Components
CDT Audio SAVE CL-62 6 1/2" Comps -GRADE B
Which do you feel would work best off the HU (No amplification)?
I assume you found those on CDT outlet, about a week ago they also had the B stock EF-61 speakers which would be the best bet, I would get the CL-62 B stock out of those, they come with the same full warranty just might have some scratches on them that nobody will see anyway.

If you can spend a bit more you can get DLS MS6 with warranty for $215
Old 01-09-2006, 07:17 PM

Yup saw that. They still have the EF-61, however this version only has the TW-20 3/4in tweeters instead of the TW-24 1in tweeters. That's why I am think more along the lines of the the CL series.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:18 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by LeX

If you can spend a bit more you can get DLS MS6 with warranty for $215
From where?