Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

How do you find a good installer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 07:04 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

How do you find a good installer?

In a short while, I'm going to start assembling my system. Lacking the knowledge and confidence to do any of it myself, I'm going to have to find and rely on installers to do it for me.

Any questions I can ask or guidlines I can follow in trying to sort out and find an installer I can feel confident in choosing would be much appreciated.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:25 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Talk to friends, or anyone you know that has done it before and let them do it. Also check in your regional forum, I bet there is more than a few guys who have done installs.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:34 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Thank you for your suggestions

I'll have to go back to the Southeast forum and ask around again. I did get a few folks that were kind enough to offer their services, but I was hoping I could find someone that worked at a shop, perhaps having the ability to offer me some piece of mind on their work.

Do shops offer guarantees or warranties on thier installers work? How bout if the product was not bought at their shop?

As far as my friends go, they're of no help. Most of em still have and are completely satisfied with their stock radios. Unbelievable isn't it. Anyway...

I will most likely have to call various shops around town, ask questions and select from their. Any question suggestions? Who's your best guy, years of experience etc.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:58 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Shops will not gaurantee work on products that were not purchased from them. The 4th g maxima is really easy to work on as far as stereo goes, I wouldn't be afraid to let one of the guys in the SE forum help you.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:52 PM
Back from Hibernation

Go to an exclusive car audio forum (elitecaraudio.com) and ask who the good installers are near you.

Ask for pics of the work of shops if you're gonna have custom stuff done....Any installer that has done "good" work take pics of it to show potential customers.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:06 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Excellent, thank you BB, I'll try those routes as well.

I do have another question, (shocker) and not knowing the etique of things, I was wondering if it would be polite/impolite to ask If I could watch the install. At least with the installation of my components and front door dampening material.

Other than wanting to learn how to do it myself one day (without being intrusive of course) I also wanted to make sure that what I bring them is actually installed. Perhaps I'm not as trusting as I should be, but I cetainly don't want them taking a hankering to my goods and pull a switcharoo on me. Better safe than sorry I guess. Anyway.........

I do realize that there are liability issues, looking over the shoulder anxieties, and a general, but understandable "hey I don't bug you when you're at work" belief, but I was hoping to watch and possibly establish a repore with the installer for future installs.

If they say no, should I find someone else?

Thanks
Old 02-04-2006, 03:35 PM

Save up, buy everything, then come on down to Gainesville for vacation. Youll get the best install by yours truly, and you can watch/learn and ask me all the questions you want. Its only like a 5 hour drive
Old 02-04-2006, 04:57 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by kpr10is
Save up, buy everything, then come on down to Gainesville for vacation. Youll get the best install by yours truly, and you can watch/learn and ask me all the questions you want. Its only like a 5 hour drive
Well hell if that was the case he could double the trip time and come up here.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Looks like I'll have to eat rice and Raman Pride noodles a tad bit longer if I'm going to get everything done all at once.

No matter the timeline, me & my car would be honored if you guys worked on it. I do however have the pressing issue of getting & installing some comps soon. My stockies are roasted and vibrating like a bastard, so they are priority one right now, with Amps, HU and upgraded wiring to follow. Perhaps, y'all could rock the house on those when the time comes.

Q: With just the comp install, is there any tuning going on with just a stock headunit and no amp?

Thanks again
Old 02-06-2006, 09:42 PM

lol, umn not really but no sense in doing a component upgrade with no tuning or external power. come to FL and do it up.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by slickrick
lol, umn not really but no sense in doing a component upgrade with no tuning or external power. come to FL and do it up.
+1........
Old 02-06-2006, 10:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Things to look for - a clean, neat shop - someone that will spend the time explaining things to you and not just say yeah we can do that, it's this much and never want to see you again. Personality and attention to "you" is key in my opinion. Ask questions, make sure you get legitimate answers. And most of all, you just have to get a comfortable feeling while you're there.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by VTonmymind
Looks like I'll have to eat rice and Raman Pride noodles a tad bit longer if I'm going to get everything done all at once.

No matter the timeline, me & my car would be honored if you guys worked on it. I do however have the pressing issue of getting & installing some comps soon. My stockies are roasted and vibrating like a bastard, so they are priority one right now, with Amps, HU and upgraded wiring to follow. Perhaps, y'all could rock the house on those when the time comes.

Q: With just the comp install, is there any tuning going on with just a stock headunit and no amp?

Thanks again
VT - I am in Atlanta and I (with a buddy) do all my own installs. It all kind of depends on what you what you want. Now if you are looking for custom glass work or something like that then that we don't do. But if you want just your basic amp/sub/comps/HU installs then we can definitely help you out. I know that I have saved THOUSANDS of dollars by just taking the initiative and "DIY"ing it. Plus, over time, you accumulate the tools you will need to do subsequent work and you learn your car <== probably the biggest positive. But, if you just HAVE to got to a shop I have a few local ones that I can recommend too. If you are interested shoot me a PM.

P.S. Not trying to horn in on your action Don!!! LOL
Old 02-07-2006, 09:44 PM

all of the installs arnt really that hard, i am 17 years old and i just had a friend of mine walk me through installing a amp sub, and speakers over the phone, then i just asked questions on here about the car in specific, doin the HU was a lil more difficult just because of more wire, i even learned how to glass on here and made my own box and kicks, and even do stuff for my friends now, basicly if u ask around and do some research then you can do it your self no problem, and the people here are great about anwsering any questions about it.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:51 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Rick & Kev:
I hear ya. I'd be an injustice not to amp them, but man, my blown stockies are driving me cookoo. Other than not reaching their full potential soundwise, do you see any harm coming to them if I don't? Could I potentially damage them by underpowering them so?

I think what I may do is throw in my old Boston RM6's for the time being. It's not gonna be ideal soundwise (pulling the soundstage down and all) but it'll remedy the annoying rattle, soften my insanity and allow me to save up in a responsible way so I can do it right and hopefully, all at once. Perhaps a little road trip might be in order when I do.

Streeteffectz: Thank you for you wisened insights.

I30: Your recommendations for trusted shops and installers in Atlanta would be wonderful. Also, thank you for offering your help, that was very kind of you. If I ever need a knowlegable and helpful hand, I'll definately look you up. Thanks

Don: I think it may be shopping list time
Old 02-13-2006, 07:22 AM

the guys at best buy are the best in the country
Old 02-13-2006, 08:01 AM

To give you an example, 3 years ago when I was more of an audio newb, and before I had my max, I ran Type-R components off of a CDA-9815. When I went past volume 26/35, the tweeters would cut themselves completely out. Distortion is not what you want to be sending to your nice new speakers. Granted, I do sometimes do component installs powered by radios at work, simply because uneducated CC customers refuse to spend the money, and yeah it sounds better than stock, but I never recommend it to anyone.

Originally Posted by VTonmymind
allow me to save up in a responsible way
This is my problem too.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:44 PM

i ran my cdt's just fine off h/u power for awhile unitl I got an amp...they sound much louder now.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:32 PM
LeX
Nissan by Nature

as far as Atlanta goes you have a ton of options.

A well known place that does good work is Audio Trix

Auto Radio on Mountain Industrial. Greg is a talented guy and he's 'fun' heh

also lots like Cartunes.

Just do research on those and ask around and you'll most likely come up with something good to suit your budget!!
(or get a local dude to do something )