Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Re-doing my whole System..need advice..

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 12:52 AM

Re-doing my whole System..need advice..

Ok...since im getting my refund check and my paycheck and my commision check all on the same day ( gotta love 3g's in one day..who can complain!!! ) i was gonna re-build my computer buy maxine told me she'd be mad at me if i didnt re-do her system first... ( maxine is my car :-D .. )..

So what im looking for is opinion, when it comes to subs, i definetly know im going with 2 12' kicker solo baric's ( heard these in my boys whip and oh my ) ....but as for amp, front speakers w/ component, and rear speaker ( figure i'll stick with the stock 6'5....not sure if it's worth the time cut and custom in the 6 x 9's . ) .....what interior speakers + amp(S) should i go with?....im thinking also i might go custom trunk on this ( yes don...this means you will get contacted :-D )......but i dunno what to go with....i wanna be able to turn my **** up loud as hell but still hear it clear as if it was low......what should i go with.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:38 AM

Well, how much power do you want? Your subs seem to have quite a bit of kick, are you going to want mids and highs to match your subs and be willing to pay for them, or are you mainly into bass and just want an upgrade beyond stock components?

I for one am an avid JBL fan, their midrange products have an awesome bang-for-buck, especially their amps (although I have no experience to back this up, I do have a set of their bookshelf HT speakers and a 12" HT sub and they are AWESOME). IIRC JBL car amps are supposed to be really good, although I'm not sure about their sub amps.

If you wanna go the whole 3Gs into your audio, you might want to check out some JL audio products... although that's also debatable.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:30 AM

Anything JL Audio....Anything else would be uncivilized
Old 02-01-2006, 03:39 AM

audio forum would help. they are just going to tell you arc audio and rainbow.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:50 AM

my setup consists of one solo baric 15 inch sub with pioneer internals with a pioneer headunit and mb quart tweeters in the door.

the only thing im missing is an amp running to my internal speakers. when my amp was hooked upto the internals.....i had crisp clear mids and highs with enough clarity while my sub is throwing out lows left and right.

imho.....i would recommend pioneer 6x9 speakers in the back if ur looking to go a very decent yet cheap way. yea ur gonna have to cut a template and all.....but its worth it. especially with 12" solo barics. they do have the ability to get really low....
Old 02-01-2006, 05:02 AM
Sold

in my last car I had the infinity kappa speakers. I really liked them. Expensive yes. Great sound yes.

Good luck with your decision and maybe check with the audio fourm.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:24 AM
Jedi Knight

Originally Posted by Maxillimus
some would beg to differ....namely myself...its all personal preference man...go listen to alot of speakers and pick what you like.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:36 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by MAXTIZZLE
audio forum would help. they are just going to tell you arc audio and rainbow.
No, we're not going to just say 'Arc Audio and Rainbow'.

(1) JL is disgustingly overpriced for what you purchase

(2) When considering subwoofers, the more important thing to consider is wether you are going to be gearing the system towards SQ or SPL purposes, and in the case of the latter, the size of the box you are going to use will dictate the sub recommended.

(3) 6 x 9s are atrocious sound reproducers - music was intended to be reproduced through a conical medium, not a football.

(4) Keep the rears stock, def. replace the fronts with comps

(5) There are a number of brands which will put the SoloBaric's to shame
Old 02-01-2006, 05:37 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by JSMax
in my last car I had the infinity kappa speakers. I really liked them. Expensive yes. Great sound yes.
To each his own. Those speakers are NOT expensive, my friend. And way too harsh, IMHO.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
No, we're not going to just say 'Arc Audio and Rainbow'.

(1) JL is disgustingly overpriced for what you purchase

(2) When considering subwoofers, the more important thing to consider is wether you are going to be gearing the system towards SQ or SPL purposes, and in the case of the latter, the size of the box you are going to use will dictate the sub recommended.

(3) 6 x 9s are atrocious sound reproducers - music was intended to be reproduced through a conical medium, not a football.

(4) Keep the rears stock, def. replace the fronts with comps

(5) There are a number of brands which will put the SoloBaric's to shame
yes sir- well put!
Old 02-01-2006, 06:39 AM

I would personally go Alpine.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:52 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by 99SEmatic
I would personally go Alpine.
I wouldn't.

Alpine Models +2005 are total commercial garbage whom have put their SQ days to the wayside to drive bigger profits.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:58 AM
SHIFT_OUTTA DA MAX

Originally Posted by Maxillimus

the man speaks the truth........
Old 02-01-2006, 07:03 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by Maximous

The overpriced truth.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:05 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by Maximous
I don't think I would believe anything from a guy who thinks that his car monitor was made by Redline Max.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:10 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Definately stay away from JL/Alpine/Infinity if you truelly want great sound and have that large of a budget. Research into bigger/better companies and go from there. Some to look at Focal, Diamond, Rainbow, DLS, Dynaudio etc etc.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:02 AM

which rainbows should i go with? up front i definetly want good high/mid .....rear mid...and the junk in my trunk of course im goin for some serious lows..
Old 02-01-2006, 10:27 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by Scooobay
which rainbows should i go with? up front i definetly want good high/mid .....rear mid...and the junk in my trunk of course im goin for some serious lows..
Call Don. /thread
Old 02-01-2006, 02:00 PM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Originally Posted by nupe500
go listen to alot of speakers and pick what you like.
BIG here. If you care at all about getting the right sound from your system, take this suggestion as law. People can talk about good and bad brands and equipment all they want, but the only person who can say what's gonna sound right for you is you.

Now, you'll probably want to buy the stuff online. But always listen to it at a local store first if you possibly can, and definitely try to bring your own tunes to the audition.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
To each his own. Those speakers are NOT expensive, my friend. And way too harsh, IMHO.
+1 I have the references and they are too harsh on high levels....but they came with the car so I cant complain. Ill upgrade later....

Whoever is saying JL or nothing is extremely igrorant...overpriced to the death. Are they good? Of course...Is there better out there for the same price? DEFINATELY

I have one Solo 12 inch and it kicks hard....there is better out there but I got mine for cheap....
Old 02-01-2006, 02:57 PM

just for fyi the solo barics produce 22% distortion and noise from its use. pretty big waste of money if u ask me i would like a more sql sub like an arc flatline or ID max for that price...
Old 02-01-2006, 03:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if your looking for clarity kicker will not suit you well as their distortion rate is huge and their bass is quite sloppy. Definatly look into something else. If all you want is BASS and tons of it the kicker is for you but if your looking for a mix find something better.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by nismos14
Definately stay away from JL/Alpine/Infinity if you truelly want great sound.
You make me feel like crap...i have an alpine head unit...infinity kappa speakers....a jl 300/4...jl 500/1 and 2 12W3V2's in a sealed box..im happy with the bass...i dont think the vocals get loud enough though..any suggestions?besides re-doing the whole thing!
Old 02-01-2006, 04:36 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by MidniteMaxSE
You make me feel like crap...i have an alpine head unit...infinity kappa speakers....a jl 300/4...jl 500/1 and 2 12W3V2's in a sealed box..im happy with the bass...i dont think the vocals get loud enough though..any suggestions?besides re-doing the whole thing!
A solid 100sqft. of sound deadening in strategic places will blow you away with how much it can improve SQ.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:00 PM

I have mb-quart reference series components all around and I think they just sweet. If you want to be baller you could go for there Q-line of speakers.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:00 PM

At Wal-mart, I've seen them sell 6.5 Inch 220 watt Sony Xplod 4 way speakers. Good price, considering Best Buy sells them for about $100
Old 02-01-2006, 05:08 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by l3ftonm3
I have mb-quart reference series components all around and I think they just sweet. If you want to be baller you could go for there Q-line of speakers.
If you wanted to be a baller, you would go for a 3-way set of Rainbow Vanadiums, Dynaudio MK340 II, or DLS Iridiums.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:15 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Scooobay, in all serious and with respect to all members here, their suggestions are for the most part geared towards major name brands with huge price markups. You are close to one of the best name-brand equipment dealers IN THE COUNTRY - give Don a call and let us all know how you make out. He will not line his pockets at your expense, and you get the warranty since he is an authoried dealer. With $3k, you will most def be able to get a high-cliber SQ Arc/Rainbow/Eclipse system. Everyone in the Audio forum recommends these for one reason and one reason only - THEY'RE THE BEST.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:17 PM

metal max ...do you have a diagram or a list of places where i can put the sound deadener...i was thinking of putting it in the doors but would i put it over that protective plastic or underneath?
Old 02-01-2006, 06:19 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Remove the plastic and put it underneath.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:32 PM

metal max ...do you have a diagram or a list of places where i can put the sound deadener...i was thinking of putting it in the doors but would i put it over that protective plastic or underneath?
I would like this too...what places have you deadened...i have the trunk, rear deck and the headliner by my rear winshield done where else should i do it?? thanks Also any remidies for the falling rear view mirror (auto dimming 96 i30)
Old 02-01-2006, 07:05 PM

well i'll give don a call, and check out what he has
Old 02-01-2006, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by JSMax

Good luck with your decision and maybe check with the audio fourm.

definitely go with the kappa's
get the infinity kappa perfect components, they sound unbelievable in my max.
ive used infinity since my first car 3 years ago (reference series back then) and right before i sold my car this oct. i yanked the speakers that still sounded perfect since i bought them(and i play it louuuud) now there in my dads ford and still sound great. definitely go with infinity. probibly the best product out there/
Old 02-01-2006, 07:43 PM

someone said the solo baric's have a 22% distortion...what subs can i get that have less then a 10% distortion?
Old 02-01-2006, 08:30 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by Scooobay
someone said the solo baric's have a 22% distortion...what subs can i get that have less then a 10% distortion?
Arc Audio
Alumapro Alchmey
RPL
Adire Audio
Ascendant
DLS
Old 02-01-2006, 08:31 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by kil2board
ive used infinity since my first car 3 years ago (reference series back then) and right before i sold my car this oct. i yanked the speakers that still sounded perfect since i bought them(and i play it louuuud) now there in my dads ford and still sound great. definitely go with infinity. probibly the best product out there/
My Dyns would put you to shame, son.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:35 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

You would remove the plastic and put it undeneath.

Trunk = 40 sqft.
Rear Deck = 10 sqft.
Front Doors = 20sqft. per door
Rear Doors = 5ft. per door

Sound Deadener Sticky

Worklog of a 500sqft. Deadener Install
Old 02-01-2006, 09:42 PM
tastey wheat

friggin JL Audio has corrupted too many peoples minds. just becuase a brand is the most popular, does not mean its the best.

for internals, for the price mostly, i really like Boston Acoustics. i know theres better out there, but BAs aren't too expensive, and sound great. go listen to some at Tweeter

Im also a little bias, but i heart Eclipse subs
Old 02-01-2006, 10:56 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by kil2board

That is THE most ignorant comment ever made. Who are you or anyone to say what is THE Best? It is all Way too subjective to each individuals ears. On that note, Infinitys products in a whole are on the bottom of the food chain. Sorry to burst your bubble, but its the truth.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:57 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Thanks Dan for following this thread and posting, you pretty munch covered every post I would have replied to. Especially the JL bandwagoners....

Quick Reply: Re-doing my whole System..need advice..