Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Mixing it Up a little!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2001, 08:12 PM

Is it possible to run a new headunit(non-bose) with the stock bose speakers with an adapter???
Old 06-10-2001, 12:33 AM

Yes it is. The adapter will convert the amplified signal from your new deck to a low voltage signal that when connected to the factory wiring will still present a low level signal that the Bose amplifiers can safely pass on as an amplified signal to the speakers.
Old 06-11-2001, 07:13 AM

do you know which adapter could do this job, cuz i want to do this soon.
Old 06-12-2001, 04:52 AM

You can find one at www.peripheral-aamp.com called the NISAH4 I believe. It should be available from any car audio dealer that carries Stinger car audio accessories, but might not be a stock item. It could be ordered. Online I believe autotoys.com has it available for ordering.
Old 06-12-2001, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by CanuckAMP
You can find one at www.peripheral-aamp.com called the NISAH4 I believe. It should be available from any car audio dealer that carries Stinger car audio accessories, but might not be a stock item. It could be ordered. Online I believe autotoys.com has it available for ordering.
I dont see that item, in there.
Old 06-12-2001, 05:27 PM

bose adapter

Originally posted by gtr_rider

i bought mine at circuit city, same brand, in stock, just ask the install bay people, they actually know somewhat what they are talking about.
Old 06-12-2001, 05:31 PM

Re: bose adapter

Originally posted by JeepRage

i bought mine at circuit city, same brand, in stock, just ask the install bay people, they actually know somewhat what they are talking about.
what do i ask them for??
Old 06-13-2001, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by gtr_rider

Look at the following link but follow way down to the bottom of the page. You need the NISAH4N for your later model Maxima.

http://www.peripheral-aamp.com/perip...ut_convert.htm
Old 06-14-2001, 11:03 AM

Thanks a lot for the help, One last ?(sorry). Do you know how much that thing would run me for.
Old 06-14-2001, 11:22 AM

Well I do have a pricelist here MSRP is $73.90 but you should be able to get it for around $60 or so....

I'm not sure what Crutchfield charges for it as it doesn't appear on their website. They could probably get it though.

Autotoys has it for $59.95 http://store.autotoys.com/cgi-bin/wf...iew/NISSANAR95
Old 07-14-2001, 09:22 PM

Try w/o the adapter first...

You don't "really" need the adapter. I never got why everyone said you need the Bose "Line Adapted" to use an aftermarket HU. No, an aftermarket HU will not run the Bose speakers w/o the built-in amp with their low impedience (measured 1.7 Ohm). But the amp is what sees the speaker load, not the HU. Yes the volume will be louder, __just don't crank it__ and you won't blow the speaker. I would normally listen to my Denon at a volume level of 15-25, but with the Bose amplified speakers it's more like 5-9. As far as I can tell, all that the adapters are is a series of potentiometers (dimmer if you will) that reduce the amplitude? of the HU's signal.

The built in equiliztion for the Bose HU throws the EQ curve off a bit for an aftermarket HU, but not too bad IMHO. This setup will certainly do until I can afford decent speakers and an amp _without_ throwing away $50+ for the adapter.

Mike
Old 07-14-2001, 11:09 PM
Disco Biscuit

The ohm rating is way off between the HU and the amp thats why. PLus,the amps arent designed to take 15 to 25 watts of power sent to it, and the loads that the amp will put on the HU is enough over time to burn out the amps in the HU. Thats why. The Bose HU sends very low level signals to the Bose amps. The Converters lower the amount of power ( dim as you said) so that there isn't an overload. Lets see $50 on a converter or $300 on a new HU. There's always 2 ways of doing things, the right way, and the wrong way.
Old 07-14-2001, 11:47 PM

You're probably right

Like I mentioned this is a temporary step. And $400 HU, I think not! My wife would truely shoot me. I picked up an older model Denon (DCT-950r) for $50 on auction. I just wanted a CD player in my daily driver - I have a changer in my Z. I almost went for an RF-changer, but 2 of the Bose speakers were acting up and I figure replacement is emmenent. I plan on getting decent speakers as I find ones I can afford and like. I still don't follow how the line converter reduces the load on the HU though.

Mike
Old 07-15-2001, 08:59 AM

Re: Try w/o the adapter first...

Originally posted by 4togrfr
You don't "really" need the adapter. I never got why everyone said you need the Bose "Line Adapted" to use an aftermarket HU. No, an aftermarket HU will not run the Bose speakers w/o the built-in amp with their low impedience (measured 1.7 Ohm). But the amp is what sees the speaker load, not the HU. Yes the volume will be louder, __just don't crank it__ and you won't blow the speaker. I would normally listen to my Denon at a volume level of 15-25, but with the Bose amplified speakers it's more like 5-9. As far as I can tell, all that the adapters are is a series of potentiometers (dimmer if you will) that reduce the amplitude? of the HU's signal.

The built in equiliztion for the Bose HU throws the EQ curve off a bit for an aftermarket HU, but not too bad IMHO. This setup will certainly do until I can afford decent speakers and an amp _without_ throwing away $50+ for the adapter.

Mike
Sorry your idea sounds good, BUT I want a permanent setup, or almost permanent. The adapter is more for me cuz i dont really have much money to waste on temporary things.
Old 10-13-2001, 11:38 PM

Well I do have a pricelist here MSRP is $73.90 but you should be able to get it for around $60 or so....

I'm not sure what Crutchfield charges for it as it doesn't appear on their website. They could probably get it though.

Autotoys has it for $59.95 http://store.autotoys.com/cgi-bin/wf...iew/NISSANAR95
I check this converter out. I have the stock 1995 Bose. The head unit is fine, and I want to replace all the Bose speakers. From that site I assume I will need a pair of those items for a total of $106+
to have aftermarket speakers in the front and rears, correct.

Since this post has been a while is there anything new? Have any other 4th gen had problems with aftermarket speakers with stock Bose headunit w/o adding a converter or such?
Old 10-14-2001, 07:03 PM

Re: You're probably right

Originally posted by 4togrfr
Like I mentioned this is a temporary step. And $400 HU, I think not! My wife would truely shoot me. I picked up an older model Denon (DCT-950r) for $50 on auction. I just wanted a CD player in my daily driver - I have a changer in my Z. I almost went for an RF-changer, but 2 of the Bose speakers were acting up and I figure replacement is emmenent. I plan on getting decent speakers as I find ones I can afford and like. I still don't follow how the line converter reduces the load on the HU though.

Mike
The DCT-950R is a great deck really and if you want to keep it in top shape I'd eventually get the adapter. There aren't many simply designed, nice sounding decks like that around anymore. The converter lowers the load on the headunit since you are using the speaker outputs into a high Ohm load (created within the converter) the headunit amplifier actually works less harder. Using the deck speaker outputs straight to the Bose amps will stress the Bose amps as they are not designed to accept a high voltage input signal of about 7V that the Denon deck will output via it's speaker leads.
Old 10-14-2001, 11:40 PM

On the subject of Bose, I just found out that the speakers on the 5th gen Bose system is not individually amplified like previous models. Would I still need this Ohm reducer if I were to:

1) get aftermarket HU with stock speakers
2) get aftermarket speakers with stock HU
3) get aftermarket speakers and HU (leaving in the Bose woofer)
Old 10-16-2001, 08:53 PM

1. Yes. Because there is probably some sort of external amplification with the stock system. It might only be the rear speakers and subwoofer amp.....

2. No. But if you replace the stock speakers you will have a low power system output from the stock amplifiers since they are designed to driving lower impedance speakers than what's available in aftermarket products.

3. Yes. You will still need a way to integrate the stock amplifier of the Bose subwoofer to the aftermarket headunit. Aftermarket headunits alone can't drive subwoofers.... If you decide to get an external amplifier to drive the Bose sub you won't need the adapter though you will require RCA cables and an amplifier installation kit...
Old 10-18-2001, 07:49 AM

2. No. But if you replace the stock speakers you will have a low power system output from the stock amplifiers since they are designed to driving lower impedance speakers than what's available in aftermarket products.
I found out that the stock speakers have a 4 Ohm impedance, and the aftermarket ones also have a 4 Ohm impedance. Wouldn't this work? Are there any other factors that I need to take into consideration? Like Wattage?
Old 10-18-2001, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by Maximum Velocity

I found out that the stock speakers have a 4 Ohm impedance, and the aftermarket ones also have a 4 Ohm impedance. Wouldn't this work? Are there any other factors that I need to take into consideration? Like Wattage?

Cool, if that's the case then you should be able to use aftermarket speakers. As for power ratings expect the Bose amplifier to put out about 20-40Wrms to each speaker, I'd shop for ones with about 60-100Wrms ratings and look for ones with a sensitivity rating of at least 89-90 dB or higher which is generally better than a speaker with a low sensitivity rating when powered by relatively small amplifiers.....