Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Subs

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2001, 04:53 PM

Subs

Hey im gettin a 96' maxima se 5sp and wondering if anyone here has 2 15's in there trunk? I have a 2000 watt amp also. Im wondering if anyone has any ideas on what kind of box and hook up. Also wondering if anyone has seen the new ground effects for the maxima i heard someone talkin about them?

E-saylo9999@yahoo.com
Old 06-11-2001, 02:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Subs

Originally posted by viper3
Hey im gettin a 96' maxima se 5sp and wondering if anyone here has 2 15's in there trunk? I have a 2000 watt amp also. Im wondering if anyone has any ideas on what kind of box and hook up. Also wondering if anyone has seen the new ground effects for the maxima i heard someone talkin about them?

E-mail:gibson921@yahoo.com
--------------------------------------------------------------
i know everyone has there one likes but what do you need 2 15's for dude.... im getting an jl w6 (12) and all i want it for is good tone and pretty strong base... your gunna shake sumthing off your car with what you got!! lol

dan
Old 06-11-2001, 06:11 AM

I have 2 JL 15w6s. They are in a sealed box, and I love them. Like I said, the box is sealed, and it is bolted to the floor of the car. You can get them in there, no problem.

Going with 15s, give you a lower bass response.

K
Old 06-11-2001, 07:36 AM

I go with 12" RF HX2 and one is enough to provide the deep bass. I plan to set 2 12" RF (HX2 and XLC) on 2 different frequencies. XLC goes on the low bass and the HX2 on the very low bass. It'll sound tight.
Old 06-11-2001, 12:22 PM

E-saylo9999@yahoo.com
Your "hook up" will depend on what kind of amp you have and the impedance of your speakers.
But since you have a 2000Watt ?? amp, you'll have ample power. The box dimensions depends on the type of speakers and of course the trunk space.
Old 06-12-2001, 06:20 PM
KCTYPHOON

E-saylo9999@yahoo.com
4 10" pheonix gold x-max's.. carbon fiber cones.. fosgate 1100a2, 2 sets of 6.5" diamond audio components, fosgate 600a4... check it out...

Old 06-13-2001, 02:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by CharlieT
I go with 12" RF HX2 and one is enough to provide the deep bass. I plan to set 2 12" RF (HX2 and XLC) on 2 different frequencies. XLC goes on the low bass and the HX2 on the very low bass. It'll sound tight.
I'm sorry..you must not know the basics of car audio. One properly setup up sub will do the job you need instead of two
Old 06-13-2001, 05:04 AM

Originally posted by SWEETSOUND2001

I'm sorry..you must not know the basics of car audio. One properly setup up sub will do the job you need instead of two
Only if that sub is a dual voice coil. You won't get the full effect of stereo with a single voice coil sub.

K
Old 06-13-2001, 09:17 AM

I beg your pardon

Originally posted by SWEETSOUND2001

Pardon me
The HX2 is a dual voice coil and with two crossovers at different frequencies you'll definitely hear the different beat.
Old 06-13-2001, 09:23 AM

One 15" would provide deeper bass.

K
Old 06-13-2001, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by DARTHSWAN

One 15" would provide deeper bass.

K
True! One is good enough for a deep bass but that was just a plan. Who know what would be next.
Old 06-13-2001, 09:53 AM

What type of sub/subs are you planning on purchasing?

K
Old 06-13-2001, 11:28 AM

What type of sub/subs are you planning on purchasing?

K
Hey DARTHSWAN
R u talkin to me? If you are im gettin ready to buy 2 15" kilomax...
Old 06-13-2001, 11:35 AM

Hey DARTHSWAN
R u talkin to me? If you are im gettin ready to buy 2 15" kilomax...
I'm sorry, I didn't provide guidance to that. Who are those made by, I haven't heard of those?

K
Old 06-13-2001, 03:46 PM

I'm sorry, I didn't provide guidance to that. Who are those made by, I haven't heard of those?

K
They are made in eminence KY. My dads friend works up there and was telling me about them. They are suppose to be better than Earthquake....if youve heard of those. Here is the site if you wanna check them out www.eminence.com they are under Pro Series they are the kilomax 1000 watt....check em out and tell me what you think

Chris
Old 06-14-2001, 05:36 AM

How much are the speakers?
Old 06-14-2001, 09:49 AM
Sly

Only if that sub is a dual voice coil. You won't get the full effect of stereo with a single voice coil sub.

K
Hah! That's a new one to me. You won't get stereo with a DVC sub either. The DVC only provides versatility in installation (4 ohms or 8 ohms usually) and is not intended to run two separate channels of sound. You're better off sending the stereo signal to your amp and bridging it there. Or use two separate drivers to get a true stereo effect.
Old 06-14-2001, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by Sly

Hah! That's a new one to me. You won't get stereo with a DVC sub either. The DVC only provides versatility in installation (4 ohms or 8 ohms usually) and is not intended to run two separate channels of sound. You're better off sending the stereo signal to your amp and bridging it there. Or use two separate drivers to get a true stereo effect.
Does not only provide versatility. Each voice coil is a speaker. If you didn't know that, try connecting the power to one voice coil and see what happens. Then try connecting the power to the other voice coil. You'll notice that you are getting sound from both coils. Yes it does provide versatility for 2ohm, 4ohm or 8 ohm, even 16 ohm, depending on how you wire it.

K
Old 06-14-2001, 11:52 AM

DARTHSWAN

Im not sure new. They are said to be better than Earthquake and EQ's 15' speaker is a couple hundred so they should be arond there.

Chris
Old 06-14-2001, 11:54 AM

DARTHSWAN

Im not sure new. They are said to be better than Earthquake and EQ's 15' speaker is a couple hundred so they should be arond there.

Chris
If they are running neck and neck with them, they should be between 200 to 300. DOn't pass up the JL. I know the W6, have a very low frequency potential. Somewhere around 18 hz. I love my W6's. I just thought I would throw those your way. Plus they can handle a gang of power.

K
Old 06-14-2001, 03:09 PM
Sly

Does not only provide versatility. Each voice coil is a speaker. If you didn't know that, try connecting the power to one voice coil and see what happens. Then try connecting the power to the other voice coil. You'll notice that you are getting sound from both coils. Yes it does provide versatility for 2ohm, 4ohm or 8 ohm, even 16 ohm, depending on how you wire it.

K
Sorry, you're wrong about it being a separate speaker. Each coil is wired separately but both are still mounted on the same driver. If you power one you'll get sound. If you power both with the same signal you'll get twice the amplitude. But if you swap the polarity on one of the coils, you'll get little or nothing. HS Physics is a beeotch, ain't it?

You are right about the 2 ohms (forgot about that one) but not the 16 assuming the typical DVC sub has a pair of 4ohm coils.

One channel = 4ohm
Both in series = 4+4 = 8ohm
Both in parallel = reciprocal sum = 2 ohm
Both in series, wired incorrectly = expensive heater

But that's purely academic. The moral of the story is...you can wire each channel independently on a DVC sub or bridge the signals at the amp but you will still end up with only a combined waveform (not true stereo) from less than two drivers.
Old 06-15-2001, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by Sly

Sorry, you're wrong about it being a separate speaker. Each coil is wired separately but both are still mounted on the same driver. If you power one you'll get sound. If you power both with the same signal you'll get twice the amplitude. But if you swap the polarity on one of the coils, you'll get little or nothing. HS Physics is a beeotch, ain't it?

You are right about the 2 ohms (forgot about that one) but not the 16 assuming the typical DVC sub has a pair of 4ohm coils.

One channel = 4ohm
Both in series = 4+4 = 8ohm
Both in parallel = reciprocal sum = 2 ohm
Both in series, wired incorrectly = expensive heater

But that's purely academic. The moral of the story is...you can wire each channel independently on a DVC sub or bridge the signals at the amp but you will still end up with only a combined waveform (not true stereo) from less than two drivers.
So true, but never assume. You did a lot of extra typing to prove my point thank you.

K
Old 06-15-2001, 08:11 AM
M3style69

CERWIN VEGAS

ARE AWESOME

Old 06-18-2001, 07:00 AM

I know the W6, have a very low frequency potential. Somewhere around 18 hz. I love my W6's. K
I don't think human ear can hear anything beyond this range. I think only elephants, etc...can hear can make sound at this frequencies.
Old 06-18-2001, 07:03 AM

I don't think human ear can hear anything beyond this range. I think only elephants, etc...can hear can make sound at this frequencies.
See that's the thing, I'm not trying to be heared. My goal is to be felt. Anyone can be heared, but only a select few can be felt.

K
Old 06-18-2001, 07:21 AM

Check out this website also

http://www.nightshift.net/freq.htm

K
Old 06-18-2001, 10:20 AM

Anyone have pics of 2 15's in their trunk? If so please post, im anxious to see how much room it takes up, since i might get them! What amp are u guys using for the 2 15's? Someone said 2000 watt, but who makes a good one and how much do they cost? Thanx
Old 06-18-2001, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by boxster02
Anyone have pics of 2 15's in their trunk? If so please post, im anxious to see how much room it takes up, since i might get them! What amp are u guys using for the 2 15's? Someone said 2000 watt, but who makes a good one and how much do they cost? Thanx
I'm sorry I don't have a pic of it. My subs don't take up that much room. I still have room for my golf clubs(important) and a garment bag. I still have room left over on the side, just in case I need to stick anything down there. I have a old school RF Punch 200 on them, but you won't be upset with 2000 watts. Just make sure you speakers can handle them.

K
Old 06-18-2001, 12:26 PM

I'm sorry I don't have a pic of it. My subs don't take up that much room. I still have room for my golf clubs(important) and a garment bag. I still have room left over on the side, just in case I need to stick anything down there. I have a old school RF Punch 200 on them, but you won't be upset with 2000 watts. Just make sure you speakers can handle them.

K
Hey boxster02

Im planning on gettin 2 15" kilomax they are a little over 1000 watt running power. Im am also lookin at an Earthquake 2000 watt comp. amp. they are a little pricey but ive heard they can handle about anything

Chris
Old 06-18-2001, 02:21 PM

So true, but never assume. You did a lot of extra typing to prove my point thank you.

K
How is what Sly typed ever remotely proving your point?? You keep saying that a DVC is two seperate speakers, but that is just plain WRONG!!! Yes there are 2 voice coils, but these are different than speakers. Each one of these coils is attached to the cone of the speaker. You can play either voice coil at a time and get output or you can play both at the same time with the same signal. If you give a DVC two different signals, the sub is going to basically tear itself apart. If you want to try it, good luck and I hope you don't blow yourself or the speaker up.
Old 06-18-2001, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by Dustyroads

How is what Sly typed ever remotely proving your point?? You keep saying that a DVC is two seperate speakers, but that is just plain WRONG!!! Yes there are 2 voice coils, but these are different than speakers. Each one of these coils is attached to the cone of the speaker. You can play either voice coil at a time and get output or you can play both at the same time with the same signal. If you give a DVC two different signals, the sub is going to basically tear itself apart. If you want to try it, good luck and I hope you don't blow yourself or the speaker up.
My bad, looking back at what I said it was wrong, THEY ARE NOT 2 SPEAKERS. I had to go back and reread. My bad. But I didn't say anything about switching the poll. And actually HS Physics was too easy for me, since it was Advanced back then.

Dustyroads, I have seen a DVC receive signals from 2 different amps. It didn't tear at all, it won a couple of competitions that way.

K
Old 06-18-2001, 08:24 PM

Ummm...

I thought sub frequencies were nondirectional so why do we need two unless you're going to compete then I believe they check all your channels. I used one sub before and it sounded great but my intention was more for accurate sound reproduction and clarity - not too loud. I guess some people just want volume and that's fine. If that's the case then you need more surface area to move the air - like 15s or a lot of subs. I saw some square kicker subs and that might be something to look into to get that feeling type of sound. I've used polk dbs (discontinued), JLs (dvc), and kicker comps before. Polks were in small sealed, JLs were in a clam style setup, and kickers in large sealed. I would say the JLs sounded the best. Polks were tight (you need a lot of power to push these). Kickers were boomy. But that's my opinion.
Old 06-18-2001, 09:13 PM

My bad, looking back at what I said it was wrong, THEY ARE NOT 2 SPEAKERS. I had to go back and reread. My bad. But I didn't say anything about switching the poll. And actually HS Physics was too easy for me, since it was Advanced back then.

Dustyroads, I have seen a DVC receive signals from 2 different amps. It didn't tear at all, it won a couple of competitions that way.

K
Okay, I think you confused me eary on, I thought you were gonna give each side of the DVC different frequency ranges. What you said is correct you can give a DVC a signal from 2 different amps, but they have to have the same characteristics. Like both signals need to be low pass filtered at 80Hz, or something like that. What Ithought you were gonna do was give one side a really low signal like ~30Hz and the other side a much high signal. That just didn't make sense at all. The sub won't be able to resonate correctly and that would tear it up. But like I said if the signals were similiar then there would be no problems. Sorry about the confusion!!
Old 06-18-2001, 09:16 PM

Check out this website also

http://www.nightshift.net/freq.htm

K
Interesting site. Nevertheless, rarely have an instrument that produce at this low freq (18Hz).
"These 20 to 40 Hz fundamentals are the type that easily propagates through the closed windows of automobiles and other structures. These low frequency waves encounter little acoustical attenuation in materials and may be heard from great distances."
It good to feel the bass but let's face it how many music manufacturer produce CDs that have this low notes...Don't get me wrong but I love to feel the bass but be realistic. Rarely you will encounter this low frequencies at often times.
Old 06-19-2001, 05:01 AM

Interesting site. Nevertheless, rarely have an instrument that produce at this low freq (18Hz).
"These 20 to 40 Hz fundamentals are the type that easily propagates through the closed windows of automobiles and other structures. These low frequency waves encounter little acoustical attenuation in materials and may be heard from great distances."
It good to feel the bass but let's face it how many music manufacturer produce CDs that have this low notes...Don't get me wrong but I love to feel the bass but be realistic. Rarely you will encounter this low frequencies at often times.
You would be surprised at how many music manufacturer do. I have listened to countless numbers of songs that reproduce something serious. Your right, their isn't any musical instrument that can reproduce a 18 hz frequency, but since most of the music today is done from keyboards and other sound making machines, it's done on a regular.

K
Old 06-19-2001, 12:57 PM

You would be surprised at how many music manufacturer do. I have listened to countless numbers of songs that reproduce something serious. Your right, their isn't any musical instrument that can reproduce a 18 hz frequency, but since most of the music today is done from keyboards and other sound making machines, it's done on a regular.

K
Cool!! I chill with you...hehe Feel the boom!
Old 06-19-2001, 01:21 PM

Cool!! I chill with you...hehe Feel the boom!
LOL
Old 06-19-2001, 06:56 PM

rockford

i just got me two 12'Rf hx2's in a sealed box and put my 500 punch amp to it and hooked it to my bose system and these ****in speakers are ****in sweet....i blew my back taillight out and im only running a 500punch to it...o ya and the punch amps are really sweet(500 true watts)
Old 06-20-2001, 07:15 AM

Re: rockford

[QUOTE]Originally posted by paul-e
[B]i just got me two 12'Rf hx2's

HX2 sounds sweet...Hope you'll enjoy their deep bass..
Gotta give credit to RF!!!