Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

noticed bose full volume aint so loud

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 06:54 PM

noticed bose full volume aint so loud

when i crank up my 01 bose full blast it isnt as loud as my moms 03 camry system, is there a way to make it louder keepin stock parts? with windows down its def not as loud as i would liek it to be
Old 03-23-2006, 07:02 PM

nope...stock bose=junk.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:50 PM
Suspension Yoda

You need to top off your amplifier fluid. Its in a reservoir in your trunk behind the bose amp.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:53 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Actually adding a ton of dampning would yield better results, but still nothing like aftermarket.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

no highs, no lows...must be bose!

just kidding, i work there...our systems are designed for accurate reproduction of your music, not for all out SPL
Old 03-24-2006, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by NexGenSS-S/C
not for all out SPL
but a majority of us believe in SQL
Old 03-24-2006, 10:08 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Ya so if you guys don't believe in spl, and the systems are not every sq oriented what do you guys focus on?
Old 03-24-2006, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by nismos14
Ya so if you guys don't believe in spl, and the systems are not every sq oriented what do you guys focus on?
Marketing.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:16 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Winnaaaaaaar!
Old 03-24-2006, 01:55 PM

LMAO so true so true.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:39 PM
k3v

yea i noticed that too when i just got out of my friends truch with 2 15s...also i was wondering how and where you would spilce rca's into the rear speakers...just wanted to know because im planning on getting a sub soon
Old 03-24-2006, 03:50 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Uh you're comparing 2 15's with bose? Get real.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:29 PM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by k3v
how and where you would spilce rca's into the rear speakers...just wanted to know because im planning on getting a sub soon
How: Razor blade and tape.
Where: Behind your radio.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:45 AM

Can't they be spliced in before the amp under the back deck?
Old 03-25-2006, 08:01 AM
Back from Hibernation

<---- BOSE HATER

Originally Posted by NexGenSS-S/C
no highs, no lows...must be bose!

just kidding, i work there...our systems are designed for accurate reproduction of your music, not for all out SPL

BS....Aside from not getting loud, Bose systems I've heard DO NOT accurately reproduce music. They sound like doo doo.

One cool Bose thing I saw is the suspension/shocks they developed for cars that allow you to cruise over speed bumps at 60 miles per hour and not feel it. Besides that, I haven't been impressed with a thing Bose has done. In car, they suck. The wave radios suck. The little cube surround sound systems suck. Haven't heard 901's, but when you get to that price range there's a LOT of great stuff out there, so no reason I'd choose that.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:38 AM
k3v

i know that the 2 15s would kill the bose but i just realized how much more the bose sucked after i got out of his truck and into the max. and about my question i know how to splice the rca's (dunno why i asked that lol) but i really wanted to know if i had to spice them before the rear speaker amp or after the amp. ive read that you could splice them after the amp, but then you would need speaker level inputs on the new amp...or you spilce before the amp but then the signal wouldn't be as clear..is that true? and where would be the best place to splice the rca's?
Old 03-26-2006, 12:07 PM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by CBRworm
Can't they be spliced in before the amp under the back deck?
Sure but if you ever change your HU, the RCA's are already run for you.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Sure but if you ever change your HU, the RCA's are already run for you.

I taught you well young grasshopper.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:37 PM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
I taught you well young grasshopper.
Heh. When's the next job?
Old 03-29-2006, 08:51 PM

Toss that bose hu and get an aftermarket one......... Your not gonna do much with that bose unit as far as power

Love that amp fluid comment btw.........
Old 04-21-2006, 02:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Quality sound doesn't have outrageously tinny highs and over-powering bass response. Everything is supposed to flow together in such a way that one instrument complements another, not compete with it.

BOSE has achieved a level "Natural" sound reproduction that well surpasses any other company out there. Probably the closest cometitor would be the original Acoustic Reference. I'm not saying that every Bose product sounds perfect, but given human engineering limitations, Bose does a much better job at reproducing NATURAL sound than anyone in every category of speaker, with the 901's being debated with the original AR's as "The BEST speaker ever made."

If your definition of an SQ system is made up of overwhelming lows and empty, tinny highs playing at insane volume levels, you need to get a new dictionary.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:40 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by gimmeBose
Quality sound doesn't have outrageously tinny highs and over-powering bass response. Everything is supposed to flow together in such a way that one instrument complements another, not compete with it.

BOSE has achieved a level "Natural" sound reproduction that well surpasses any other company out there. Probably the closest cometitor would be the original Acoustic Reference. I'm not saying that every Bose product sounds perfect, but given human engineering limitations, Bose does a much better job at reproducing NATURAL sound than anyone in every category of speaker, with the 901's being debated with the original AR's as "The BEST speaker ever made."

If your definition of an SQ system is made up of overwhelming lows and empty, tinny highs playing at insane volume levels, you need to get a new dictionary.
Oh. My. God.

Old 04-21-2006, 04:42 AM
Suspension Yoda

I don't even know where to begin.

Maybe with his user name.

Or the fact that most of the users in this forum are here for SQ, not SPL.

So sorry buddy but Bose!=SQ.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:45 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

After adding my pioneer HU to the 8 speaker bose I'll admit I am pleasantly surprised with the sound. There's alot of good midrange and that was previously lacking in the bose. There is an over-emphasis on the midbass and that definately make the sound unnatural. The fully stock setup was like this too.

I mean what kind of research did you do into this? I doubt you've ever heard a 4th gen bose... if you had you'd ask yourself WTF is blose thinking.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Umm...I spent 7 years working in a big retailer that sold a wide range of products including bose. When you're talking about 1500, 2000, 2500 + that the various bose setups cost you can do MUCH better with even moderate lines like JBL, Klipsche and Yamaha. Lines from Infinity and Polk absolutely destroy Bose for home audio. In my tenure with this retailer was the services manager for a good portion of it. Not only is bose expensive up front but its virtually unrepairable by most repair shops. When you do find someone who's "authorized" the charges for repairs are absolutely insane. The true low end bass in movies is lacking with most bose setups and the mids typically sound muddy when compared with equivelantly priced competitors. The highs on most bose systems typically aren't harsh which is a good thing, however, they lack seperation when compared with most other competitors.

Now as for car audio, when I brought my Maxima home a few weeks ago first thing the father in law mentioned was "how does the bose sound" two of my friends said the same thing. My response was "well you'll just have to hear it". ALL of them said the same thing in more or less the same words. That was this "Compared with your trans am it sounds fuzzy and when it gets loud it doesn't sound good at all". That was the same basic response I got from everyone. I had some decent stuff in my TA but nothing great. Bose car audio might be good for old folks who can't hear worth a damn, but the reality is to someone who has any audio experience at all is that Bose sounds muddy, lacks seperation and runs out of breath way too soon.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:54 AM

Oh yeah, one more thing, someone mentioned "whats bose good at?" the answer is marketing. At the company I worked for, Bose would purchase space next to all the complete crap brands for one of their displays and then have people compare. Well I'd hope your 1500 dollar bose system sounds better than the 300 dollar KOSS HTIB sitting next to it. In the primary speaker rooms we usually had a bose setup, however, bose paid for a perfect setup scenario/speaker placement in the room. This left other companies with poor or no placement at all so speakers could only be sampled one or two at a time or at very odd angles for full surround sound testing. Bose is good at marketing. The reality is their products are priced about 1.5 to 2x higher than they should.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:14 AM
Suspension Yoda

So true.

Like an empty giftwrapped box.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:26 AM

Obviously your knowledge of mobile audio is Very limited. If Bose is so great can you explain to me why Volvo and Lexus The two top rated for OEM sound are not using it?

Volvo of course using Dyns, its unfair to start off with. Blose doesnt have a chance.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:32 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Toyota uses JBL and I think they **** on the bose too.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:44 AM

You have an awful lot of learning, and deconditioning to do. The amount of brain washing evident in your post in unreal................
Old 04-21-2006, 08:08 AM

Although I respect Bose for their innovation, my experience, although small, has been decent outside of mobile audio. I have never heard a great Bose equiped vehicle yet. They have all been less than sufficient at anything more than a moderate listening level. I found myself having to turn it up to try and overcome roadnoise and finding distortion. I am not talking about 100+ db even. Typical road noise is around 75db give or take dependant on the vehicle. To hear the music over the roadnoise without distortion seemed to be impossible. This was in a brand new 01' Nissan Maxima BTW. So when the salesman asked if I wanted to pay $1400 for the Bose option, I declined. I also found the non-Bose stereo to have the ability to not only play louder, but easily cope with the roadnoise of everyday driving.

With that being said, I did like the Acoustamass system my mother owned while I was in HS. Spacially speaking, it was a great match for the odd sized room we had. Although it was not in surround, they did image very well for music and movies. We only got rid of them after being introduced to a mid-level pair of floorstanding Boston 2-ways. head to head, in the same room, I prefered the Boston's and have gone back to them in recent years and been very pleased with that decision.

So for the original poster, go aftermarket if you have the money. If not, save for it. In my opinion, you will be happier in the end.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:19 AM
Z

Originally Posted by nismos14
Toyota uses JBL and I think they **** on the bose too.
Toyota uses JBL? Really? I thought Toyota used Mark Levinson just like Lexus.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by NYPD-Arnold
Toyota uses JBL? Really? I thought Toyota used Mark Levinson just like Lexus.

yessir, ML is only for the Lexus.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
yessir, ML is only for the Lexus.
On a sidenote why do you have a bunch of green boxes when the rest of us only have one?

edit: I assume this is rep like at other sites?
Old 04-21-2006, 10:45 AM

Im special.

Yes it is.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:08 AM

oooohhhh ethpecial....

Old 04-21-2006, 11:32 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

They always said he took the short bus to school.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:44 AM

shorter the bus, the better the soundstage!
Old 04-21-2006, 11:49 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

He was 13 yrs old and installing subs and comps in the school bus.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:06 PM

I'd also like mrBose to tell us why no Bose systems are THX certified...

Quick Reply: noticed bose full volume aint so loud