Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Best Buy says they have to rewire my whole car if I want a deck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Best Buy says they have to rewire my whole car if I want a deck?

Hey guys I wanna switch out the bose cd changer in my car for a pioneer deck. Best Buy is trying to tell me they have to rewire my whole audio system and basically quit using the factory amp?

Isn't there an amp kit or amp adapter I can use? This sounds like a sales pitch to try to get me to buy their overpriced monster cable and other **** for my maxima.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:43 PM

not true, do a search for swapping out the bose stereo, I'm not sure what all you have to do, but I think there is an adapter to keep using your amp. Don't let them do it if they don't know how to without rewiring your whole car. I don't let anyone touch my system, If I were you, I'd find a friend or someone to do it. Its really ez. good luck.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:44 PM

the cd changer????? Are you looking to install a headunit or a cd changer i dont understand which one you or talking about. The only time they would change anything is if you were using new speakers which your not. What you need is this http://www.cardomain.com/item/SCOFAI3 This will allow you to turn down the gains of the speakers so they dont blow. Which will allow you to keep your factory speakers.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:53 PM
Likes them corn fed

best thing to do is rewire the whole thing, and you have to buy the adapter in order to use the bose speakers, which is a pain. i would just save my money and swap out the whole thing... and don't go to best buy, theyre ghey... go to a local shop.. they do better work
Old 04-01-2006, 12:54 PM

Swapping out the whole thing I'd suspect would require well over a thousand bucks would it not?
Old 04-01-2006, 12:59 PM

I guess I should be more specific, my car has the 6 cd changer, I was gonna swap the entire 2 bay factory deck for a single cd pioneer unit that would do MP3s. From what I've read on here a deck switch makes the bose speakers sound MUCH better. So ideally this is what I'd like to do. The stock system sounds decent. If I do an aftermarket system I dont want a subbox. I'd replace the factory sub with another open air sub but I do NOT want a sub box and BOOMING sound. I want a crisp clear sound. So I figured the deck swap would get me there, am I wrong?

What brand speakers would you guys recommend that would sound good but not break the bank?
Old 04-01-2006, 01:54 PM

yeah, do the swap, but I'd pay a little more money and get an eclipse or Alpine deck. I'm not saying Pioneer isn't good, its just you could spend a little more and get alot better sound. I love my alpine, but some guys here aren't too keen on them anymore. I have the 9825 and I think I paid $165 for it. I will agree I don't like the new alpine decks... but if you get one from last year I think, they are great and pretty cheap. I wouldn't rewire the whole car for just swapping a deck out though.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:37 PM
Likes them corn fed

if you dont want a BOOM sound go with smaller subs, they dont play as low of a freq. and they are crisp. go with 2 8'' subs. and stock bose sucks, it's a freakin paper cone. but if you want leave it and change the tweeter at least.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Likes them corn fed

ehh pionner is ok but to me they feel extremely cheap, i would stick with a kenwood, very solid, great sound, and in the same price range.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by eckounltd287
if you dont want a BOOM sound go with smaller subs, they dont play as low of a freq. and they are crisp. go with 2 8'' subs. and stock bose sucks, it's a freakin paper cone. but if you want leave it and change the tweeter at least.
10's can play as low as 15's, and 15's can play as high as 10's...box design is key here.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:43 PM

Same could be said for Eclipse units regardig how solid they are, and offering great sound, as well as the same price range .

As far as speakers, there was a nice group sale going on some Rainbow SLC 265's. It's over now......

The good thing is that Don is still here (Pearl96Max).
Old 04-01-2006, 03:57 PM

The Best Buy dude is not pulling your chain. The reason that they tell you that they have to rewire the car is for liability reasons. Bose amps have a tendency to stop working after a while. When that happens, they come back to Best Buy or Circuit City and complain that the new radio is not working or try to blame the installer. Its better for them to just rewire the car to eliminate the problem from the start.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:03 PM
Likes them corn fed

^^^^ gooooood answer
Old 04-01-2006, 04:04 PM
Likes them corn fed

yes box design is key, also amp with built in crossover
Old 04-01-2006, 04:05 PM

Trying to get the post # up I see.....

Old 04-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Likes them corn fed

ehh no not really, just thoughts come late...but so far i'm holding it up.....................ehh no nothing left to say....ok POST NOW!
Old 04-01-2006, 04:15 PM

ehh no not really, just thoughts come late...but so far i'm holding it up.....................ehh no nothing left to say....ok POST NOW!

Old 04-01-2006, 05:12 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

So much MISleading info here...

There is absolutely no need in the world to rewire the whole car. Furthermore absolutely no need for any "adaptors". Simple splice of RCAs do the trick every single time.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by NightRider
The Best Buy dude is not pulling your chain. The reason that they tell you that they have to rewire the car is for liability reasons. Bose amps have a tendency to stop working after a while. When that happens, they come back to Best Buy or Circuit City and complain that the new radio is not working or try to blame the installer. Its better for them to just rewire the car to eliminate the problem from the start.

Still BS in every form. So anytime someone comes into me with a cheap amp I should tell them they Have to purchase a new one because its bound to break....one day.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:15 PM

Where do you find all this info? Do you make it up as you go along??? Any sub can go as low or high as you please, provided its within the limits of the driver itself, nothing to do with the size.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:25 PM

I think he does...is this Avi on another sn?
Old 04-01-2006, 05:30 PM

haven't seen an amusing post in awhile...
Old 04-01-2006, 05:44 PM

HAHA good read...
Old 04-01-2006, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Still BS in every form. So anytime someone comes into me with a cheap amp I should tell them they Have to purchase a new one because its bound to break....one day.
Its not really BS. I know better, and so do my installers. However, Circuit City/ Best Buy brings the type of customers that will try to blame anything that is wrong with their car on you. Instead of spending money and time training installers to diagnose real problems, they would rather gain money by eliminating any liability. Its the same reason you would be hard pressed to find a Circuit City/ Best Buy that would install radios in conjunction with a factory radio. They would rather replace the original. They are under the rule: the cheaper it is for the customer, the more problems you'll have from them.

Think of it as Circuit City and Best Buy's way of under training their installers.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:04 PM

Thank god Don came in here and straightened things out, I started to get worried. First of all, to the thread creator, read the fu(king stickies. Thats what theyre there for. Second, NightRider, order the 7551 and call it a day...if you want to upsell then great, but thats what the harnesses are there for.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:20 PM

when i installed my deck i just used the deck pre outs and hooked them up to the bose. not to hijack the thread BUT.... i get popping noise when i turn on the car and do certain things on the deck now.... anyone know why.....don?.... could a bad ground cause this.... or bad rcas?
Old 04-01-2006, 09:24 PM

Well guys after spending the evening down in Tulsa and going to CC and Ultimate, I'm leaning towards either an Alpine or Pioneer deck with the new alpine 6.5's for the doors powered by the deck. Then a single 10 inch sub with a small box and a 200 watt amp for the trunk. At this point I'm leaning more towards the pioneer deck their new one thats 60 watts peak and 27 rms/channel. That should be pretty good at at least give me better highs than the stock system and a decent 10 sub to top the factory paper 8. I'm not into BOOMING bass or anything like that, just a crisp clear sound is all I'm after.

Am I on the right track here?
Old 04-01-2006, 09:27 PM
Suspension Yoda

So you ended up believing CC and buying an entire system anyway?

Guess everyone that posted that told you the TRUTH (Don, Kevin) was just wasting their time. Sorry guys.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:46 PM

post the prices of everyhing you are purchasing and let's see if we can do better. ditch the Alpine radio and speakers asap. go with a pioneer or eclipse radio and NO components from CC. look into something else for components and a small amp. no sense in getting components and not amping them.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:50 PM
Suspension Yoda

Ditch the rear speakers and get a small amp to front components.

Or to avoid two amps, get a big 4 channel, use the fronts for the fronts and bridge the rears to a small sub.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
So you ended up believing CC and buying an entire system anyway?

Guess everyone that posted that told you the TRUTH (Don, Kevin) was just wasting their time. Sorry guys.
I didn't buy anything, where did I say I purchased everything? :Ugh:
Old 04-02-2006, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Ditch the rear speakers and get a small amp to front components.

Or to avoid two amps, get a big 4 channel, use the fronts for the fronts and bridge the rears to a small sub.
I was thinking for dollar reasons I'd skip the amp on the speakers for a few months? Obviously it wouldn't sound as good but its still gonna sound better than stock...any brand amp you'd recommend?

I wont buy from circuit city I just went by there to look. I'll probably wind up buying from ultimate, or at least having them do the install unless I can find someplace here where I live, but my town is so small I doubt I can.

Why eclipse speakers over the new Alpines? I can't remember the name of the new Alpine series but they sure sounded better at ultimate both off an amp and off the deck power. They seemed to have better clarity and seperation than anything else, with infinity a close second.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:51 AM

well let your OWN ears decide for you. we can recommend a lot of stuff, but eventually your ears will be the final deciding factor.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
well let your OWN ears decide for you. we can recommend a lot of stuff, but eventually your ears will be the final deciding factor.
Do you guys have a store recommendation between ultimate and best buy? I'm gonna try to find a local shop, but that may be impossible where I live. So I may have to make a trip to tulsa. I will not go to CC, I worked at best buy for 7 years, the problem I have with them is sometimes they dont always do professional work. But is ultimate the same way?
Old 04-02-2006, 08:23 AM

i worked at best buy too.... they dont know **** about ****..... seriously just listen to people recomendations on this board.... theyll get u better stuff for a better price
Old 04-02-2006, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Max_N_Action
i worked at best buy too.... they dont know **** about ****..... seriously just listen to people recomendations on this board.... theyll get u better stuff for a better price
Thats my plan, ultimate has much better car audio equipment. I may have my brother get my deck for me since he still works at bby though
Old 04-02-2006, 09:58 AM

getting a deck from CC is perfectly fine as long as it is a pioneer or eclipse. give us a budget for front speakers and we can help you from there. I also might have a good cheap 2 channel for ya.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:35 AM

I think my budget will be no more than 1000 bucks for everything, preferrably around 800.

Those new alpine's I'm tellin' ya fellas they sounded great. They had just put them in their display on thursday and the 6x9's weren't up yet just the 6.5's. The 80 dollar alpines sounded better than the 150 dollar infiniti's I was like :eek3:

I'm gonna try to get the deck from bby so my brother can use his discount, maybe as a birthday present or something.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:38 AM

as long as you enjoy the speakers go for it. just remember eventhough you get good ear time in a store, the environment is different and they usually use high powered amps to push the speakers on display.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by slickrick
as long as you enjoy the speakers go for it. just remember eventhough you get good ear time in a store, the environment is different and they usually use high powered amps to push the speakers on display.
Yeah very true, I had him hook them up to the deck only so I could hear them. They sounded good, but the amp made them sound even better. I've still got sometime before I do this I'm just trying to get some ideas and such...crutchfield has an 8 inch punch 2 that they sell that might make a good sub.

Quick Reply: Best Buy says they have to rewire my whole car if I want a deck?