Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Best Buy says they have to rewire my whole car if I want a deck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 12:05 PM

just give us a budget for each audio component and we can work from there.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:16 PM

dont let best buy do it please. if you dont want to or cant do it yourself at least take it to an audio store. i dont kno what you have in your area but here we have ultimate audio, tweeters and nortons
Old 04-02-2006, 12:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

800 to 1000 TOTAL, I dont have it broken down by component because I dont know what the best breakdown would be.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:21 PM

There is nothing wrong with buying speakers or components from CC or Best Buy. The install is the key to any audio system. Buying adaptors isnt necessary either as Don stated earlier. I dont try to upsell anyone BTW, As I stated in another thread, I run my Roadshop as though it was a small time mom and pop style audio shop. I'm only telling you all what their policies are and why the dude at Best Buy told the original poster what he said. Believe me when I tell you that my system in my Maxima is not miniscule by any means. I've put together some of the best systems at my store as well. Most of you are telling him to go with Alpine and Eclipse without taking into account that CC and Best Buy carry those brands. And there is not much you can mess up when installing a radio in a car. You can get the same service from any audio shop. You have some good ones and some bad ones.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:52 PM

Totally agree to that last sentence. You can have some HORRIBLE mom and pop shops, as well as good ones, and the same goes for any CC or BB.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:49 PM
Likes them corn fed

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
So you ended up believing CC and buying an entire system anyway?

Guess everyone that posted that told you the TRUTH (Don, Kevin) was just wasting their time. Sorry guys.
am i the kevin youre mentioning or is there another?....

one week ago i broke into LOVING front stage sound instead of surround.

but i still hate subs..........
Old 04-02-2006, 06:54 PM

hell no...kpr10is.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Likes them corn fed

::whispers::" you basta r d"
Old 04-02-2006, 07:29 PM
Suspension Yoda

Definitely not you, ecko.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by eckounltd287
::whispers::" you basta r d"
you gotta redeem yourself (somehow) after making that comment regarding bass response and sub size.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:21 PM

You definitely do not have to have your whole car rewired. Don't let "BestBuy" talk you into spending more money than necessary. I would find someone else to install it, because that clearly is saying that they are trying to make you spend more.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:03 AM

Well you have several options when adding a deck. You can use the BOSE amps or not use the BOSE amps. If BB rewired the car they would have to change your BOSE speakers too. Did they mention that? Perhaps you misunderstood what they meant or they did not explain it correctly.

As a general rule BB uses a BOSE adapter form DEI and a harness. They do that so everything just unplugs if you decide to put your factory radio back in. Generally they would charge 1 to 2 custom labors to wire up the BOSE and the 2 harness. About $16-32. Some people refer to it as rewiring your car because it's easier to explain it to a customer that has no idea about mobile electronics. For someone knowledgable it means something completely different.

Now if they REWIRE it they would have to change the speakers out ( i think Bose speakers are 1 or 2 ohms. Don't remember exactly), possibly run new speaker wires (it can be quicker in some cars), or use the existing speaker wires and bypass each amp at the speaker. As a courtesy BB will reinstall your factory equipment (up to 3 pieces) free of charge if you decide to sell the car. As a BB installer it would be much easier for me if the amps were not bypassed and new wires were run to the speakers. 1) I wouldn't have to repair the wiring on the amps and 2) the customers factory equippment remains unaltered. You have to think like a $29 billion dollar company when you approach this.

I have to defend BB because 1) I work for them as a home theater install trainer, 2) I was a trainer for BB mobile install/sales for 5 yrs. It may surprise you but I've recruited installers from Tweeters, Myer Emco, and Mom and Pop shops. So the installers all come from the same pool. You have to realize every company has inexperienced installers from time to time. Thats how people learn. No company can afford to pay for super experienced installers all the time. The talent must be home grown. It's not very profitable to hire super experience all the time and staying in business is about profit.

So some customers will have bad experiences from time to time. I've personally fixed cars from CC, Tweeter, Myer Emco, etc. I've seen some very 1/2 azz work come from each company. So I get a kick out of people saying not to shop at BB because they suck. I use to work at a few custom shops for 10 yrs before coming to BB. But I made 2 to 3 times more money doing much less work than I did at custom shops. Yes there is less glory because it's rare that I got to do a really complex install but I had better benefits, more opportunity and it's continuing to pay off for me. I never finished college and I made over $70,000 last year. Not super great but not bad.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:31 AM
Likes them corn fed

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
you gotta redeem yourself (somehow) after making that comment regarding bass response and sub size.
i dunno , 8's and 10's sound more crisp and clean compared to a 15'', i figured it had something to do with the freq. it was able to play.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by C3nthusiast
Well you have several options when adding a deck. You can use the BOSE amps or not use the BOSE amps. If BB rewired the car they would have to change your BOSE speakers too. Did they mention that? Perhaps you misunderstood what they meant or they did not explain it correctly.

As a general rule BB uses a BOSE adapter form DEI and a harness. They do that so everything just unplugs if you decide to put your factory radio back in. Generally they would charge 1 to 2 custom labors to wire up the BOSE and the 2 harness. About $16-32. Some people refer to it as rewiring your car because it's easier to explain it to a customer that has no idea about mobile electronics. For someone knowledgable it means something completely different.

Now if they REWIRE it they would have to change the speakers out ( i think Bose speakers are 1 or 2 ohms. Don't remember exactly), possibly run new speaker wires (it can be quicker in some cars), or use the existing speaker wires and bypass each amp at the speaker. As a courtesy BB will reinstall your factory equipment (up to 3 pieces) free of charge if you decide to sell the car. As a BB installer it would be much easier for me if the amps were not bypassed and new wires were run to the speakers. 1) I wouldn't have to repair the wiring on the amps and 2) the customers factory equippment remains unaltered. You have to think like a $29 billion dollar company when you approach this.

I have to defend BB because 1) I work for them as a home theater install trainer, 2) I was a trainer for BB mobile install/sales for 5 yrs. It may surprise you but I've recruited installers from Tweeters, Myer Emco, and Mom and Pop shops. So the installers all come from the same pool. You have to realize every company has inexperienced installers from time to time. Thats how people learn. No company can afford to pay for super experienced installers all the time. The talent must be home grown. It's not very profitable to hire super experience all the time and staying in business is about profit.

So some customers will have bad experiences from time to time. I've personally fixed cars from CC, Tweeter, Myer Emco, etc. I've seen some very 1/2 azz work come from each company. So I get a kick out of people saying not to shop at BB because they suck. I use to work at a few custom shops for 10 yrs before coming to BB. But I made 2 to 3 times more money doing much less work than I did at custom shops. Yes there is less glory because it's rare that I got to do a really complex install but I had better benefits, more opportunity and it's continuing to pay off for me. I never finished college and I made over $70,000 last year. Not super great but not bad.
I know some BBY installers are fantastic. By the way your story mirrors one of my best friends who started in car audio, then car install then was basically a district trainer in car install and now he's head of home installs for home theater systems and he never finished his EE degree in school and makes about 70k/ yr

Yes they told me they'd have to give me new speakers, they said the Bose amp has a habbit of burning up within a few months time if you just switch out a deck. BBY told me this as did ultimate and CC. So I'm thinking maybe there is some truth to it?
Old 04-03-2006, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by eckounltd287
i dunno , 8's and 10's sound more crisp and clean compared to a 15'', i figured it had something to do with the freq. it was able to play.
There's some good 8's available on crutchfields website. I'm thinking either an 8 or a 10.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:26 AM

crutchfield...great for finding new stuff....exceptional at over charging you for it
Old 04-03-2006, 09:31 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by Stalldaworld
crutchfield...great for finding new stuff....exceptional at over charging you for it
Overcharging? Uh, no. For all of the freebies and awesome customer service they provide, NO, they do not overcharge. When compared to fleabay where 90% of the stuff you will find is counterfeit goods, yes, they overcharge.

Crutchfield, Don, and a handful of members here are the ONLY ones I would ever trust taking advice from on anything 12V.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:48 AM

i stand corrected. based on my experience (more limited than most), ive paid more buying from crutchfield than other places. i cant comment on their customer service.
i can comment that the best deals i have found are from don or people selling his stuff 2nd hand on here.
i have delt with ebay a coupla times...havent had a problem alltho ive read the horror stories.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:51 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by Stalldaworld
i stand corrected. based on my experience (more limited than most), ive paid more buying from crutchfield than other places. i cant comment on their customer service.
i can comment that the best deals i have found are from don or people selling his stuff 2nd hand on here.
i have delt with ebay a coupla times...havent had a problem alltho ive read the horror stories.
I've had nothing but a 100% satisfactory experience with them. Even if such is the case, no one best teh Don. I wish I knew that BEFORE I purchase my HU.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:03 PM

Who's this "Don" character
Old 04-03-2006, 12:08 PM
Suspension Yoda

Pearl96Max. Moderator of this forum, owns a shop, licensed dealer/installer, nice guy, etc etc
Old 04-03-2006, 12:08 PM

The Don...the moderator of this forum who just so happens to have his own shop in derty Jersey. he sells nothing but the best; and for a good price.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:11 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95
Who's this "Don" character
A fictitous character we made up. It's actually an acronymn we use for a special buying club we audiophiles are a part of in which we get Rainbow, DLS, Arc Audio, etc...at a fraction of the MSRP.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:12 PM

Hmm...so maybe I could get some of my stuff from him and he could ship it to me?
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Ruined. :sigh:

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
A fictitous character we made up. It's actually an acronymn we use for a special buying club we audiophiles are a part of in which we get Rainbow, DLS, Arc Audio, etc...at a fraction of the MSRP.
So since I dont live in Jersey anychance of getting the same discounts?
Old 04-03-2006, 12:26 PM

people in the midwest pay MSRP +20%...jk yeah give him a PM or call him he will hook you up.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:47 PM
Suspension Yoda

Hmm...so maybe I could get some of my stuff from him and he could ship it to me?
Yes, but only the products that allow for online sales.

Eclipse is NOT one of them.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:50 PM

Yes, but only the products that allow for online sales.

Eclipse is NOT one of them.
Thats cool, I will probably have my brother get the deck since he can get it at cost, besides that he owes me big so maybe that can be payment

Does this don character have a website?
Old 04-03-2006, 12:52 PM
Suspension Yoda

Not an updated one.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:01 PM

NightRider is right
Old 04-03-2006, 01:03 PM

Not an updated one.
On a sidenote I paid for a subscription here yesterday and I still dont have functionality...and it didn't post on my bank account do they have problems processing? should I give it more time or try again?
Old 04-03-2006, 01:09 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

On a sidenote I paid for a subscription here yesterday and I still dont have functionality...and it didn't post on my bank account do they have problems processing? should I give it more time or try again?
I paid for one two, I'm having the same problem.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:19 PM
Suspension Yoda

Lol Dan yours is slightly complicated.

Wait till it posts to your bank account.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:33 PM

I talked to a good friend of mine who's a car audio expert and talked to him about my situation. He said he'd recommend eclipse, alpine or infiniti for the speakers. I asked him about an 8 inch MTX open air sub to replace the factory sub, he said MTX makes a great open air sub and it would sound 10x better than stock. Sound reasonable to you guys?
Old 04-03-2006, 06:41 PM
Suspension Yoda

Eclipse, fine, alpine, meh, infinity - WAY too harsh.

You're going to need an amp to replace that sub. MTX is nothing special. I'm partial to the Arc8 that I've heard in a free air setup.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:54 PM

Eclipse, fine, alpine, meh, infinity - WAY too harsh.

You're going to need an amp to replace that sub. MTX is nothing special. I'm partial to the Arc8 that I've heard in a free air setup.
Yes I will get a 200 or so watt amp for the sub

He mentioned ARC but also said they'd be tough to find...glad to hear someone else recommend arc...I'll check around the web and see if I can find their free air setups.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:59 PM
Suspension Yoda

PM Pearl96Max, he can set you up with an Arc anything.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:22 AM

Long

QUOTE=Metal Maxima]Overcharging? Uh, no. For all of the freebies and awesome customer service they provide, NO, they do not overcharge. When compared to fleabay where 90% of the stuff you will find is counterfeit goods, yes, they overcharge.

Crutchfield, Don, and a handful of members here are the ONLY ones I would ever trust taking advice from on anything 12V.[/QUOTE]

I've been reading many of these posts and some of the remarks are unbelievable!! I guarantee you yes some of these products are sold contrary to manufacturers wishes but to say 90% are counterfeit is absolutely rediculous! By the way, if one is experienced in home and car stereo, so what if you can pick up deep discount product like speakers. For the few minutes it takes to change them why spend full retail? The one thing I do is to make sure my car has the proper sound enhancing products and then I go to the local shops and pay experienced techs to balance the system.

When I set up my home theater the local companies wanted over $10,000 for for 4" acoustic fiberglass wrapped in premium fabric along with upper and lower basetraps wrapped the same way and I'm talking a small 12x14 foot room. I googled the info and found a company called kinetico outside Col, Ohio. I talked to the owner and since I live far away in Vegas he said sure I'll sell you at a discount and sold me the sound treatments for $5.000 and even sent me instuctions to mount them, which I did. Is this a crime?

Look, I'm not putting anyone down but what's wrong with being an informed and wise consumer?? Pearl96Max is a big benefit to you guys because he knows his business but, don't forget this is how he makes a living especially for that beautiful baby I saw pictures of and he gets a little hyper when it comes to discount sellers. That's fine but billions are spent at these establishments.

Also, I keep reading "ditch this or that product" or "do or don't buy this or that piece" Come on guys You know everyones hearing is different. I'm 63 and I'm sure you younger guys have different hearing than me. Everyone should buy according to their budget and ears not according to someone elses bias!