Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

What ever happened to installing a system in less than a day?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 08:28 PM

What ever happened to installing a system in less than a day?

I used to be an installer at a retail store about 2 years ago, anyway I remember doing lots of installs a day, amps, speakers, whole systems, we could do 4 complete systems a day....

well, now that i work on my maxima it seems like its taking for ever... i've been working on it ever since i got it 3 months ago...

but i guess it has to do with the fact that i only have about a day and a half a week to work on it....

i'm sooo beat, i just finished putting my midranges and crossovers in the doors, first time i ever took them off, my big *** 6-3/4s took a little work to get them to fit in stock locations, also had to dremel out all 4 stock speakers so i could use the bracket, really, i guess the reason it takes so long for me to install now is because i'm working on my own car, i take much more time and care to make sure everything is done right, i sealed every little hole or possible slot that may leak air for each speaker, found great hiding places for my crossovers and ran wires for my tweeters, everything seems to be going good and should be cured tomorrow, now i just have to decide if i want flush mount my tweeters or top mount them with only a small hole....then i gotta fix my saggy trunk find a place to mount my 2 amps and shove my sub in the trunk....i finally ran my 1/0 power last week when i dyed my carpet, i found the nice passage along both doors inside the car, i was afraid i would have to run it under the car...

anyway, im just venting, im pooped, i guess i should try and take pictures if anyone would like to see i havent taken one picture yet of my car, shame on me....hehe

anyone else seem to spend a lot of time on their maxima?
Old 06-04-2006, 08:51 PM
Suspension Yoda

Well, everyone works at their own pace and level of care.

But it seems like you're coming along nicely, good luck
Old 06-04-2006, 08:57 PM

Took me two days to build my amprack and sub box....TOO long I took my time.....
Old 06-04-2006, 09:02 PM

Heck, I have been working on the audio in my car for close to 2 years now. I used to work at a shop and yes we would do full "standard" system in one day no problem as long as there was no custom work like fiberglass and stuff.

For some reason between me and my GF we always seem to push things. We end up wanted to redo thing major before some big show. We push ourselves to get it done, working on it after work, staying up till 2,3,4AM working on it to get it down.

Shoot for SVR this year we work on both of our cars ever minute we had and finally at 3:30AM friday morning she decided we were not going to get her car done in time (we had to leave FL that day to drive all the way to WV). I think stayed up all night through the next day to finish my car. Then we drove the 14 hours to SVR, arrived at 6:30 in time to set the car up for thats days judging. We finally went to sleep Sat. night at about 12.

Got to love it though. It can be so rewarding to do things yourselve and I have mad props for anyone that tries....even if its not perfect.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:07 PM

I spend too much time on the small stuff...I have had to troubleshoot alot of things with my new install but so far so good. Kevin and I spent a good hour putting resin in my sealed box. tip: wear gloves.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:30 AM

wow SQ sounds like your lucky to have a GF like that, hows it like having your gf work with u on it, r you making money by showing your system? it looks nice in the small pictures, how are you powering all that? do you have custom alternator putting out HO at low rpm? i can't wait till i got my system back in my new car (well my maxima is new to me), just so i can go driving and enjoy the audio, whoa did i read that right 8 tweeters front stage? i thought i would be overdoing it if i put 4 tweeters front stage and 2 rear all matched, does it really help a lot?
Old 06-05-2006, 09:20 AM

Yeah, when I got my 2K SE, it took me almost 3 days to put my system in transferred from my '95. When I did the install, the routing of the wiring was a pain....that is why it took me so long. Stupid Nisssan made everything so difficult....1) Had to drill out mounting bolts from Bose stereo to remove 2) Had to put new speakers in all 4 doors and run all new wiring 3) Had to re-route wiring from speakers in front doors because Nissan decides to design that you can't access wires inside the door jams 4) Had to make my amp rack on the flip down rear seat 5) Had to remove the Bose sub from rear deck 6) Had to remove the Bose sub-amp from trunk 7) Had to disconnect factory tweeters in pillars 8) Had to flush mount component tweeters in front doors 9) Had to drill hole in firewall to route power cable to battery. There may be other things, too, but these are a few I can think off on the top of my head.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:39 AM

Wow, then I must be lucky, I couldn't find a safe spot to drill a hole in my firewall when I tried to install my alarm siren, I asked and no one could tell me specifically where to drill so I ended up looking for alternatives, what I did was remove the driver tire wheel well and found the big factory wireharness and rubber grommet that goes into the firewall, i ran my alarm siren and later on I ran my 1/0 cable through it too.. With no need to drill my firewall at all...

I also too discovered yesterday about the front door wiring, weird how they used a plug, i was hoping i could pass my speaker cable through that grommet cause i'm using 12ga speaker cable all around, but then i took the 10mm bolt off and saw it was plug, i found the round little grommet just behind it and this is where i ran my double-3m'ed black tape speaker cable through to inside the door and the car, has anyone else used this grommet for this purpose? i hope it doesn't rip the cable in the location it's in, i think it will be well...

i also took out my stock tweeters, grinded the plastic down on my red momo tweeters and siliconed them to the stock location to give stealthy look....but i'm still deciding on if i should flush mount another set of tweeters in my front doors too, i guess that depends on if i can get a good hole saw kit before the day is after i finish the rest of my wiring this afternoon, well i better get on it before its too late to work.

pics anyone?
Old 06-05-2006, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by t0mmyr
Wow, then I must be lucky, I couldn't find a safe spot to drill a hole in my firewall when I tried to install my alarm siren, I asked and no one could tell me specifically where to drill so I ended up looking for alternatives, what I did was remove the driver tire wheel well and found the big factory wireharness and rubber grommet that goes into the firewall, i ran my alarm siren and later on I ran my 1/0 cable through it too.. With no need to drill my firewall at all...

I also too discovered yesterday about the front door wiring, weird how they used a plug, i was hoping i could pass my speaker cable through that grommet cause i'm using 12ga speaker cable all around, but then i took the 10mm bolt off and saw it was plug, i found the round little grommet just behind it and this is where i ran my double-3m'ed black tape speaker cable through to inside the door and the car, has anyone else used this grommet for this purpose? i hope it doesn't rip the cable in the location it's in, i think it will be well...

i also took out my stock tweeters, grinded the plastic down on my red momo tweeters and siliconed them to the stock location to give stealthy look....but i'm still deciding on if i should flush mount another set of tweeters in my front doors too, i guess that depends on if i can get a good hole saw kit before the day is after i finish the rest of my wiring this afternoon, well i better get on it before its too late to work.

pics anyone?
What year is your Max? As far as my front doors....yeah, I had used that grommet in the driver's side door to run my speaker wire and had no problems for years. Just give it enough slack and you'll be fine. I had used some silicone to fill up the hole for a tight seal. I only went this route because I couldn't get the wire colors from the speaker coming out of the kick panel. Nissan always seem to change the colors at the plug (there are a ton of wires coming out of the driver's kick panel). For the passenger's side, it was much easier because it dealt with less wiring. I found the right wire from the stock speaker wiring and I just tapped my 12 gauge into that. No need to wire it thru the door. For the tweeter mounts, where is your stock locations that you are referring to...the pillars, doors? I have pics of my tweeters flush mounted in my doors if you like to see. I, too, tried to use the factory locations (pillars) for my tweeters, but the imaging was terrible....so, I put them in the doors...much better staging!
Old 06-05-2006, 07:58 PM

i have a 2001, i drilled through the grommet and left the grommet for the doors, i guess i could silicone the rest if i really want to, i have tweeters in a pillars, i just got back from working on my system all day, got 4 channel amp, sub amp, power, and capacitors done, finally got to listen to my components again, but i just walked in the door to my house at 8:30pm to get a bite to eat, i havent eaten all day!, my sub is sitting on the floor so i just need to empty out all my stuff i was using to work on the car and hook up 2 wires, then a lot of tweaking to do, mids sound good and highs sound really high for some reason, is it cause of the location of tweets up front? can i see pics of your front door, i'm thinking of flush mounting my last set of matching tweeters in my front door, or my rear C? pillar pointing towards front, what do you think?
Old 06-06-2006, 02:57 AM

wow SQ sounds like your lucky to have a GF like that, hows it like having your gf work with u on it, r you making money by showing your system? it looks nice in the small pictures, how are you powering all that? do you have custom alternator putting out HO at low rpm? i can't wait till i got my system back in my new car (well my maxima is new to me), just so i can go driving and enjoy the audio, whoa did i read that right 8 tweeters front stage? i thought i would be overdoing it if i put 4 tweeters front stage and 2 rear all matched, does it really help a lot?
Hello, I dont want to rob this thread so let take it to my post about my car. I would be more then happy to answer any queations there. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=475262

i was hoping i could pass my speaker cable through that grommet cause i'm using 12ga speaker cable all around
Try doing 2 pairs of 12ga and 4 pairs of 16ga into the door using the factory boot. Song that came to mind.......Like A Virgin......TeeHee

Rick
Old 06-07-2006, 11:57 PM

****, my panels rattle really bad....

i get bad noise coming from passenger door rattling, real bad noise from autodimming mirror, it actually helps if i hold it it sounds bad, i cant even see whats behind me when its shaking like crazy, my rear deck rattles bad too and sounds like seatback plastics rattle bad, should i just take all that off?
Old 06-08-2006, 06:28 AM

i have a 2001, i drilled through the grommet and left the grommet for the doors, i guess i could silicone the rest if i really want to, i have tweeters in a pillars, i just got back from working on my system all day, got 4 channel amp, sub amp, power, and capacitors done, finally got to listen to my components again, but i just walked in the door to my house at 8:30pm to get a bite to eat, i havent eaten all day!, my sub is sitting on the floor so i just need to empty out all my stuff i was using to work on the car and hook up 2 wires, then a lot of tweaking to do, mids sound good and highs sound really high for some reason, is it cause of the location of tweets up front? can i see pics of your front door, i'm thinking of flush mounting my last set of matching tweeters in my front door, or my rear C? pillar pointing towards front, what do you think?
Check your PM!
Old 06-08-2006, 09:49 AM

****, my panels rattle really bad....

i get bad noise coming from passenger door rattling, real bad noise from autodimming mirror, it actually helps if i hold it it sounds bad, i cant even see whats behind me when its shaking like crazy, my rear deck rattles bad too and sounds like seatback plastics rattle bad, should i just take all that off?
second skin helps...believe it or not deadening my roof helped with the mirror from vibrating. however, on hot days the noise does get annoying.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:00 PM

****, i live in the desert, its hot everyday, my sub amp actually wouldnt turn on during the day today, so i went to my trunk to check if the amp turn on cable got yanked out but no, i touched the jbl amp and it was sooooo hot, (it used to do this in my other car if it got too hot), i touched my momo amp for my components and it was just as burning hot but it stayed on, after running the ac for 15 minutes the amp turned back on
Old 06-09-2006, 04:45 AM
Suspension Yoda

****, i live in the desert, its hot everyday, my sub amp actually wouldnt turn on during the day today, so i went to my trunk to check if the amp turn on cable got yanked out but no, i touched the jbl amp and it was sooooo hot, (it used to do this in my other car if it got too hot), i touched my momo amp for my components and it was just as burning hot but it stayed on, after running the ac for 15 minutes the amp turned back on
Wow...time to get some PC fans...
Old 06-09-2006, 05:08 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

I've been waiting 40+ days to install mine.......
Old 06-09-2006, 09:24 PM
Droppin logs

You mean there is a point to where you're actually done? I've never reached it in any of my cars!