Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

How to add digital outs to HU for under $6

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 04:58 AM

How to add digital outs to HU for under $6

Figured I would pass on what I have learned about adding a Toslink optic digital output to a HU and yes it really will cost you less then $7. I have done this twice now and it works like a charm. If you have queations or comments please feel free to post them. Sorry for the blurry pics, my cam. such for closeup pictures.

Here you gohttp://www.turboegt.com/Audio/Car%20...dio%20Main.htm

Also, dont anyone know a way to be able to select from more then just two sources using an AI-Net headunit using a 701. Let me know PLEASE.

Rick
Old 06-11-2006, 09:33 AM

link doesn't work
Old 06-11-2006, 10:01 AM
Back from Hibernation

Fix that link! That would be cool to be able to run my stock HU to my H701. I'd consider that. Oh wait, then I'd have to lose the screen....

Donno about the two sources thing. My gosh darn H701 won't recognize any aux in's (yes it is turned on via my HU).

edit...found it on your page. here's the link.

http://www.turboegt.com/Audio/Car%20...dio%20Main.htm
Old 06-11-2006, 10:43 AM

Fixed the link.

If you are using a AI-Net HU make sure that the AUX on the HU is turned on in the setup menu or you will not be able to switch to any one inputs.

Rick
Old 06-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Great information !
Old 06-11-2006, 11:50 AM
Back from Hibernation

So the noise floor is gone? Theres a few points right there

Thats a really good writeup. You oughta post that link over at elitecaraudio.

So you know about finals, right? Nopi. I'm guessing you'll be there w/ your girl and her car done. Just not sure if I can afford it, but should make a few improvements this summer and depending how it sounds, I may have to try to find the money. But knowing I'd have to go up against that Scion and the Toyota truck, it would be hard to think I'd take home a place, so prolly not. Who knows though.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:28 PM

So the noise floor is gone? Theres a few points right there
Yes, its completely gone. On the zero bit track you can actually tell where they cut the recording of the mans vioce and started the zero bit section. With the volume at max there is nothing. Got to love it.

Thats a really good writeup. You oughta post that link over at elitecaraudio.
Thanks. I just posted it there in the SQ section. Now lets see what the big dawgz have to say about it.

Yes, we heard about nationals. I think it will be fun. We never really have the money to go to events but the last year we competed we both got invited to nationals but we did not go and have regreted ever sense. Now we just force ourselve to go to just about every event we can. Next weekend will be the one in AL.

I think you can beat those guy with a little more work. They are both running 2-way setups up front and I think they both are using stock locations. I think you can run with them. Just remember how my car goes against tall he rules but I am still hangin in there.

Rick
Old 06-11-2006, 04:55 PM
Back from Hibernation

Put it in general discussion. Thats where everyone looks. I'll see what I can do. I'm going to fix door rattles, go with more on axis kick panels, allowing me to move my horns out to full width and depth, and replace the IDMAX's with IDW's in a more custom clean trunk. Also gonna be building panels for the sides of my center console to get rid of those reflections as Eric recommended and playing with gains to get the most I can out of my amps/speakers. All this wasn't done for the last one, and thats the cool thing. I got the car sounding real good but have so many ways to improve it. For novice in comps, stock locations doesn't really hurt because they're time aligned to be one seat cars while I'll only have mine tuned for a two seater, and depth isn't judged. But we'll see how it turns out. It'll only be getting better with work. Looking at my scoresheet and where I lost points (above and beyond the SPL botch) , I think I should be able to improve my score by a good 35-45 points with some work. Thanks for the vote of encouragement. It's intimidating having an older car compared to those others. I didn't get to hear the scion, but I think it won third or fourth overall sound on Sunday.