Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

how about the inifinty kappa speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 07:38 AM

how about the inifinty kappa speakers?

I have a 97 4th generation maxima. Right now it has the stock 6 speaker bose system. I'm not too statisfied with the quality of the sound. I want to change all speakers, because I'm not too satisfied with the bass and distortion. I don't need an incredible amount of bass just enough that I can feel and speakers that could play a variety of bass. For example, right now the bose speakers cannot play boyz n da hood well at all. The bass is totally different than something like "like woah" in which bose speakers do a pretty good job.
So I was thinking of getting some infinity kappa series 62.7i or 63.7i 6.5 inch speakers. I had a question do I need to change the tweeters as well? I was thinking of using a profile amplifier 700 watt 4 channel. One important thing, I don't want subs in the car, I just hate them.

I haven't decided on the headunit but Ill install it on the compartment underneath the stock ose headunit. I'm planning on taking out the bose head unit and put a nice 7 inch lcd touchscreen, basically making a carpc.

So what do you think about the setup?
Old 06-12-2006, 08:17 AM
Suspension Yoda

Infinity speakers are decent, but a little harsh for my own tastes. If you pull the speakers, pull the tweeters too.

I suggest component speakers for the front, coaxial speakers for the back. There is a group deal going on in the Group Deal section, for Rainbow SLC components, which are great speakers for the price. You can get the coaxials through the group deal as well. Good idea with the amplifier, but I don't know about Profile.

If you are going the route of a carpc, you don't need a HU at all. If all you want is a screen, you can get a screen from RedMax for your double din, and a Pioneer DVH-5000mp or a similar HU for your 3rd din spot. That particular HU plays DVD's and signal can be fed to the screen.

Decide more what you want to do and we can help you out.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:42 AM

Sounds to me like you want to get some more bass in there. Unfortunately due the the physical limitations of the car environment, you'll probably need to get a sub for the sound you want. I've installed tons of speakers, amped and unamped, and generally the Bose systems have alot more bass since they're tuned I guess. If you want to get the best bass response out of the kappas, you're going to have to dynamat the crap out of the door and rear deck to make sure it's properly sealed. An amp is a must and profile's are actually pretty decent value amps, just don't expect stellar sound. BTW, I love infinity speakers, some people think the highs are harsh, but it's mainly personal preference.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:13 PM

alright thanks for the input, so what speakers would you recommend. The reason I don't want a sub is cause I don't want the whole car to shake and I don't want the people to hear the music outside my car like 1/4 mile down. Some of my friends have like 2 12 inh subs and the bass is an over kill and I hate it.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:16 PM

Also the lcd will be like a xenarc 7 inch lcd touchscreen. It will be controlled via an actual computer. I'm sure you all have heard of the project before (www.mp3car.com). I'm actually quite surprised that I don't see a lot of 4 th generation maximas with those lcd screens. I think the double din just needs a little modification to fit the lcd. I'm surprised this forum doesn't talk much about it either.
I'll end up buying the speakers from ebay but will probably test it out in stores first.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:18 PM
Suspension Yoda

You don't have to have subs that boom down the street. You can have a sub that adds the correct amount of bass response for a fuller sounding experience. A standard amplified free air 8inch sub in your rear deck would do that nicely without overpowering anything or adding rattle.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by kasemodz
Also the lcd will be like a xenarc 7 inch lcd touchscreen. It will be controlled via an actual computer. I'm sure you all have heard of the project before (www.mp3car.com). I'm actually quite surprised that I don't see a lot of 4 th generation maximas with those lcd screens. I think the double din just needs a little modification to fit the lcd. I'm surprised this forum doesn't talk much about it either.
I'll end up buying the speakers from ebay but will probably test it out in stores first.
It will need Bondo to make it look right. Buy from a reputable source.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by kasemodz
alright thanks for the input, so what speakers would you recommend. The reason I don't want a sub is cause I don't want the whole car to shake and I don't want the people to hear the music outside my car like 1/4 mile down. Some of my friends have like 2 12 inh subs and the bass is an over kill and I hate it.
Hehe, what's the fun in that? j/k
I'd say go with a single 12" box w/ around a 250 watt amp and you oughta be quite pleased =). Alot of these idiots going around have the gains on their bassamps turned all the way up so it's waaay out of balance and the reason why you hear them 1/4 mile down the road. I've got over 1kW of music coming from my car and I love blowing these idiots away at traffic lights when I'm next to them, they're usually playing some rap so I'll blast whatever the hell I'm listening to, the latest: I think it was Tim McGraw =).

As for the sub brand recommendations, I'm personally fond of MTX. Others may be able to provide their own information, but me, I personally prefer the MTX subs and atleast the 5500 series.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:24 AM

Haha talisman311, thats awesome man. Hmm, I'll have to rethink about sub
Old 06-13-2006, 07:51 AM

I used to have an 8" in an older car of mine. It was great because even with it turned up it you could not hear it outside of the car, despite it sounding balaced in the car. It was enough bass, but not overpowering.

If you want a good balance, get a single 8 or a single 10. The 10 has more options available.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:54 AM
Suspension Yoda

Arc Series 8" Woofer on a 5 channel amp FTW.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

+1 on the kappas sounding kinda harsh..