Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Sound System for a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 07:43 PM

Hello everyone. I must admitt i am pretty new with my maxima and just turned 17, which means i now have money from my birthday to spend. I currently own a 97 maxima SE with the bose system. I am looking to upgrade my sound system. I would like to replace the front speakers (one came blown with the car) and put two 12s in the back. I am able to handle getting the head unit but i am clueless as to what brands to go with for the speakers. I am also able to get someone to rewire everthing to bypass the bose amplifiers, so that is not a big problem. I would also attemped to build a sub box with my wood shop friends. However, i just do not know which speakers or amp to get. Also i am not sure what/which amp would be able to power the subs. I am looking to spend aroun 600 (+-100)for the front speakers amp and subs, i am assuming i can pick everthing up at a discount either from ebay or a friend. I would apreciate anyones suggestions of front speakers and subs and amps. Thank you
Old 06-20-2001, 02:22 AM

Well for used parts it should be doable on that price.

Good brands for amps are Orion XTR series, RF, ESX Quantum series, Phoenix Gold XS series, HiFonics Zeus, Autotek, Kicker, PPI, US Acoustics, Zapco, Memphis, DEI Directed Audio, Xtant, Soundstream, Sony and MTX.

Good brands for subs would be, Adire Audio Shiva or Tempest, Peerless XLS, JL Audio W3 series, Image Dynamics IDQ series, MTX, Alpine Type-R, Audiobahn, Crystal Mobilesound, DEI Audio, Boston Acoustics, Digital Designs, Eclipse, Kicker, Infinity, Oz Audio etc.

Good brands for speakers are, DEI Directed Audio, CDT Audio, Focal, Image Dynamics, Oz Audio, JL Audio, Infinity, Morel Renaissance, Xtant, Polk, etc.

For your subs look to getting a 8 Ohm drivers or ones with DVC 4 Ohm coils. These type subs can easily be powered by any bridgeable stereo amplifier and will allow you greater choice in that selection. If you limit yourself to a pair of 4 ohm subs you will also limit your amplifier choices to either high power 2 channel models to be connected in stereo, or high current amplifiers that can handle a 2 Ohm bridged mono load. Either case would get you into a situation where your amplifier alone could eat up almost all of your $600 budget.

My favorite bargain basement amp right now is the ESX Quantum Q1752 available on closeout from www.ampmanaudio.com for $265 shipped. You get a very versatile amplifier that's stable to 1 Ohm mono in certain modes and will put out close to 500Wrms into either 4 Ohm, 2 Ohm or 1 Ohm mono loads. It's an ideal subwoofer amp for something like an Image Dynamics IDQ 12....
Old 06-20-2001, 05:13 AM
OG and counting...

Originally posted by CanuckAMP
Well for used parts it should be doable on that price.

Good brands for amps are Orion XTR series, RF, ESX Quantum series, Phoenix Gold XS series, HiFonics Zeus, Autotek, Kicker, PPI, US Acoustics, Zapco, Memphis, DEI Directed Audio, Xtant, Soundstream, Sony and MTX.

Good brands for subs would be, Adire Audio Shiva or Tempest, Peerless XLS, JL Audio W3 series, Image Dynamics IDQ series, MTX, Alpine Type-R, Audiobahn, Crystal Mobilesound, DEI Audio, Boston Acoustics, Digital Designs, Eclipse, Kicker, Infinity, Oz Audio etc.

Good brands for speakers are, DEI Directed Audio, CDT Audio, Focal, Image Dynamics, Oz Audio, JL Audio, Infinity, Morel Renaissance, Xtant, Polk, etc.

For your subs look to getting a 8 Ohm drivers or ones with DVC 4 Ohm coils. These type subs can easily be powered by any bridgeable stereo amplifier and will allow you greater choice in that selection. If you limit yourself to a pair of 4 ohm subs you will also limit your amplifier choices to either high power 2 channel models to be connected in stereo, or high current amplifiers that can handle a 2 Ohm bridged mono load. Either case would get you into a situation where your amplifier alone could eat up almost all of your $600 budget.

My favorite bargain basement amp right now is the ESX Quantum Q1752 available on closeout from www.ampmanaudio.com for $265 shipped. You get a very versatile amplifier that's stable to 1 Ohm mono in certain modes and will put out close to 500Wrms into either 4 Ohm, 2 Ohm or 1 Ohm mono loads. It's an ideal subwoofer amp for something like an Image Dynamics IDQ 12....
Canuck forgot to mention that a/d/s makes some pretty good stuff as well. Another brand to look at is Eclipse.
Old 06-20-2001, 09:39 PM

Damnit I did it again.

Actually I left a/d/s out on purpose as I was under the assumption they would be a little pricey for him.
Old 06-21-2001, 07:08 AM

i can get you 2 12" infinity reference subs for a real good price...e-mail me oldplaya25@cs.com