Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Bose? Forget about it.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2001, 10:24 PM

I was rather pleased at first that my car came with the Bose system. It sounded good, but soon found out that the rear passenger side speaker was blown after turning it up louder while on the freeway. After finding out all of the crappy stuff about having a Bose system and what I would have to do simply to replace it, I decided to try and get that old one out to send it back. After figuring out how to get the seat out and what not, I was able to eventually get to the speaker.

Well, I took it out and was going to take it to the dealer's in order to have them send it in. I see a sticker on the side that says "remanufactured". Okay, it has been replaced before. Why is it blown again? There is a decent chance that the head unit is at fault. If so, then both would need to be replaced. I said screw it and went to get a new stereo put in. It sucks that I have to wait until Friday, but better than waiting for Bose to get my old speaker and then waiting for them to send a replacement, hoping it does not go out really soon because of the head unit.

My new system will have a 12" JL audio sub, an MTX amp, an Alpine CD player, 4 Boston Acoustic speakers, and I am adding a Jukebox for MP3 instead of a changer. I figured 100-150 CD capacity was better than 12.

I thought I would move the thread here.
Old 06-23-2001, 02:08 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Where are you getting your system done at?
Old 06-23-2001, 03:58 PM

I too was excited about having a Bose sytem in my I30 when I got it but I wasnt overjoyed. I used to own a Ford Explorer that had a bose system. although it was good,I did run into a few problems with blown speakers. So I too will eventually replace the bose system on my i30 soon as I can get enough money to buy that jensen double-din head unit and find a good price for a solobaric L7 15" square sub. damn those things are expensive...
Old 06-23-2001, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by maximadave
Where are you getting your system done at?
I got it done at Goodguys. It took them forever; 6.5 hours. I am still working on trying to get the sound the way I want it. They didn't give me the wires/harnesses for the Bose system and the front amps. They probably left the front amps in the doors (if that is where they are at) and threw away the wires (which will really make me mad [refraining here]). Also, they didn't vacuum up their mess in the car--not very professional. Sorry about the long answer.
Old 06-24-2001, 09:57 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Why dont you speak to their store manager and give them an ear full!! Tell them how long it took, the mess they made and the sound quality is not what you expected, ask for a refund on your installation labor. Dont give up until you are 100% satisfied!! Keep me posted

Maximadave
Old 06-25-2001, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by MarcJD

I got it done at Goodguys. It took them forever; 6.5 hours. I am still working on trying to get the sound the way I want it. They didn't give me the wires/harnesses for the Bose system and the front amps. They probably left the front amps in the doors (if that is where they are at) and threw away the wires (which will really make me mad [refraining here]). Also, they didn't vacuum up their mess in the car--not very professional. Sorry about the long answer.
6.5 hours is forever? For pros, maybe. But seeing as it took me longer than that to build my (second) sub box, and I'm already 23 hours into the install with at least another 12 to go, it's all relative...