Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

how do you guys have your aftermarket HUs working?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 09:37 PM

how do you guys have your aftermarket HUs working?

ok here's my question. i'm looking to buy a dvd player to put in. it's a Kenwood DDX6019, which I'll buy with its addon navigation unit. anyways, i'll have DVD player, nav, and it says it has cd changer controls. so here's the question. when they (of course, i have to pay someone to do this cause i'll break it 2 seconds into it) install it, can i make it so when i press the "CD" button it'll turn on the dvd player and switch the sound to it and control my cd changer with it? or will i have the cd changer working with the bose HU and the kenwood working separately? this question begs the next question, if i have the dvd player on, will the cd player also go through the speakers or the car will select one? how? help..i'm confused and i'm not even doing the install!
Old 08-05-2006, 09:59 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

I believe that the DDX6019 will only allow for a single output, so you would only be able to run the CD or the DVD player function exclusivley.

The DDX6019 has 6 wallpaper backgrounds that display when an audio CD is running, I don't think it's capable of running both audio and video in situ.

The only way I believe you could get [this] to work would be to purchase a HU that has an AUX input for a DVD player and purchase an external DVD player to do this...mine can, at least.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:26 AM

well i'm not talking about the kenwood unit doing both. i was thinking more along the lines of the bose system still playing the audio cd while the kenwood is playing a dvd or something. it's NOT something I want, just wondering whether it'll happen or if the way they units are wired when installed will prevent that from happening. lets have this example, i'm keeping my 6 cd changer with the bose screen, so i'll be listening to a cd normally through the bose. i decide to turn on the dvd player, will the car automatically stop the sound from the cd and switch it over? that's my question...
Old 08-06-2006, 05:29 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by TrojanNemo
i decide to turn on the dvd player, will the car automatically stop the sound from the cd and switch it over? that's my question...
Yes.

BTW, You will need a PAC adapter if you are going to be using the Blose speakers...
Old 08-06-2006, 05:42 AM

that's the adapter being used to run ipods and stuff through the SAT button right? so if i just take the HU to an install shop they wont be able to do it without that adapter?
Old 08-06-2006, 08:04 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by TrojanNemo
that's the adapter being used to run ipods and stuff through the SAT button right? so if i just take the HU to an install shop they wont be able to do it without that adapter?

You MUST have the PAC Bose adapter in order for the HU to be compatible with the Bose units.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:01 PM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
You MUST have the PAC Bose adapter in order for the HU to be compatible with the Bose units.
....No you don't. Just wire RCA's into the HU's preouts.

edit: (clarification) If you want to use the SAT input, then yes you need a PAC unit to create auxiliary ins. As far as the aftermarket HU to be compatible with the Bose amplified system, no you don't need a PAC.