Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

6.5" Custom MDF Rings: Anyone Makes These?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 02:16 PM
我爱台湾

6.5" Custom MDF Rings: Anyone Makes These?

Looking for 6.5" MDF rings to replace the stock 6.5" speaker rings on the front doors. Is there a company that sales these prefabbed or would it be easier to make these myself?
Old 08-09-2006, 02:33 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

They're really simple to make yourself actually.

Here's a really good picture of them to give you an idea.

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...32&postcount=4
Old 08-09-2006, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
They're really simple to make yourself actually.

Here's a really good picture of them to give you an idea.

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...32&postcount=4

just take out the stocker and trace it onto some MDF and then cut it out with a jigsaw.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:41 AM

i should of looked down more.. i just asked this question.. thanks for the answers!!
Old 08-12-2006, 08:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Looks like I'll be making some of these rings this weekend to install my JL Audio VR650s Can't wait to hear the difference!
Old 08-15-2006, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by blackpearle
Looks like I'll be making some of these rings this weekend to install my JL Audio VR650s Can't wait to hear the difference!
damn! i need some too for my VR650's but i have no tools.. sucks.. wanna make me some?? haha j/k anyhow gluck let me know how they sound cause u will prob have yours setup first
Old 08-15-2006, 07:38 PM

Well, turns out I did not need to make new MDF rings at all. The stock ones worked just fine for me, just had to clip off the small alignment pegs and cut some of the plastic away that was hitting the seaker connector........VOILA! Installed and they sound GREAT! I'm using an Alpine MRP-F250 amp, got the crossover dialed in just right
Old 08-15-2006, 07:39 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Congrats. Have you tried to put your windows down yet?
Old 08-16-2006, 08:59 AM

ya dude go try to roll down ur windows and let me know.. then i can copy u also do u know the best location for the crossovers? and are u protecting them just in case water or moisture gets in?
Old 08-16-2006, 11:14 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

The point of the mdf rings is to replace that crappy plastic.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by djchinky
ya dude go try to roll down ur windows and let me know.. then i can copy u also do u know the best location for the crossovers? and are u protecting them just in case water or moisture gets in?

I put mine in the little kick panel that is just forward of the door (down on floor). They'll fit down behind it.

I let ccity put my speakers in and they used the plastic mounting ring. I wish I had gotten the mdf ones though. I'm too lazy to rip it all apart again.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by KyMan
I put mine in the little kick panel that is just forward of the door (down on floor). They'll fit down behind it.

I let ccity put my speakers in and they used the plastic mounting ring. I wish I had gotten the mdf ones though. I'm too lazy to rip it all apart again.
are u talking about that small compartment where you would run power wires near the hood release? i guess u couldnt use the stock wires?
Old 08-17-2006, 06:48 AM

yeah, the little bulge that is just below the hood release (same place on the passenger's side). To remove it, you have to remove the trim piece that is on the bottom of the door jamb (pull up to remove-there are 3 or 4 catches). Then, there is a little nut that holds the bulging piece on. Remove that and then pull towards the middle of the car on the bulge piece (has 1 or 2 catches). It's really easy once you get in there.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:10 AM

audio noob here: can someone explain exactly what MDF rings are and what they do? thanks
Old 08-17-2006, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by evil_spork
audio noob here: can someone explain exactly what MDF rings are and what they do? thanks
they basically allow you to bolt on aftermarket speakers onto stock locations, and/or allow for more clearance for the magnet.

sample MDF rings/mount for a 3rd gen maxima. the large mounting holes bolt right up to the stock locations, and you just secure the speaker onto the ring.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:43 AM

nice rings! one more question.. do you take off the stock rings.. or mount the mdf right over the stock rings?
Old 08-18-2006, 07:15 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

The whole point is to get rid of the craptastic stock plastic rings, and to put in better ones that won't resonate as much.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:23 PM

My windows go down just fine, the speakers do not go past the backside of the plastic ring that portrudes into the door. I see no reason to make rings out of MDF, unless you are trying to squeeze every ounce of sound out of your speakers. Just Dynamat the door Those 6.5s should only be putting out mid to high frequencies, so, they shouldn't be shaking the door much anyway, unless you are just blasting your stereo. Which, the plastic rings probably absorb more of the sound waves than the MDF will anyway.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:32 PM

The plastic may resonate more than MDF.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:36 PM

Yes, they are made by a company on ebay called Zenclosures. They make them for all Nissans.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Igor911
Yes, they are made by a company on ebay called Zenclosures. They make them for all Nissans.
wrong thread bud
Old 08-20-2006, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
wrong thread bud
care to clarify?
Old 08-20-2006, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Igor911
care to clarify?
wasn't that response intended for this thread?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=487902
Old 08-20-2006, 08:45 PM

wasn't that response intended for this thread?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=487902
ummmm no

If you look at their other items for sale, you would have seen this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...5896QQtcZphoto
Old 08-20-2006, 08:57 PM

ah well damn...didn't know they made MDF baffles for nissan...
Old 08-20-2006, 09:08 PM

ah well damn...didn't know they made MDF baffles for nissan...
see...next time don't question me
Old 08-21-2006, 04:32 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

My windows go down just fine, the speakers do not go past the backside of the plastic ring that portrudes into the door. I see no reason to make rings out of MDF, unless you are trying to squeeze every ounce of sound out of your speakers. Just Dynamat the door Those 6.5s should only be putting out mid to high frequencies, so, they shouldn't be shaking the door much anyway, unless you are just blasting your stereo. Which, the plastic rings probably absorb more of the sound waves than the MDF will anyway.
That is a sorry excuse not to have mdf rings.

It's not just to squeeze every ounce of sound, it's also to make your speakers play more efficiently. Whats the point of having speakers and not mounting them properly only to loose volume at certain frequencies due to resonance in the plastic? You're better off getting the rings since their so cheap, otherwise the speakers themselves were a waste of money. The plastic rings DO absorb SOUND, which is bad. You want your sound to come from the speakers, not be absorbed from the plastic. If you're midbass doesn't give you enough reason to want/need MDF rings you need better speakers.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by nismos14
That is a sorry excuse not to have mdf rings.

It's not just to squeeze every ounce of sound, it's also to make your speakers play more efficiently. Whats the point of having speakers and not mounting them properly only to loose volume at certain frequencies due to resonance in the plastic? You're better off getting the rings since their so cheap, otherwise the speakers themselves were a waste of money. The plastic rings DO absorb SOUND, which is bad. You want your sound to come from the speakers, not be absorbed from the plastic. If you're midbass doesn't give you enough reason to want/need MDF rings you need better speakers.

Well, I see nothing wrong with the plastic factory rings at all. My speakers sound great as is, I have the VR series JL Audios and a new Alpine amp. What I meant by the plastic absorbing sound, I guess I should have used better words........I meant that the plastic rings transfer less vibration to the door than the MDF will. Anyway, why waste money on the MDF rings when I seriously doubt you can hear a difference? If you can tell me that you have heard them both ways and the MDF rings make an audible difference, I'll probably buy them. I'm gonna check that link, if they're cheap enough, I guess I may as well get them and install them when I Dynamat the doors.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:52 PM

hey im a cheap bastard .. ok .. anyhow.. will it be ok.. if i just use the plastic rings and not dynamting the door.. no way im gona do that cost a lot to dynamat.. i got the same speakers as u blackpearle
Old 08-24-2006, 04:29 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

C'mon guys. You might as well have bought some freaking sanyo 6.5 coaxials. If you're going to invest in a good speaker set, make sure you sound deaden and use rings. You WILL notice a difference, and the speakers will play much more efficiently rather than transferring resonance into the metal and plastic.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:50 AM

gotta be balling to sound deaden doors.. haha.. do u know of any cheap alternatives to sound deaded? i heard home depot has something???
Old 08-24-2006, 05:49 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Home depot **** smells really bad when it gets hot. So no, I don't know any cheap alternatives sorry.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:49 AM

Lowes and Home Depot carry Frost King air duct insulation. It is thin foam with a aluminum backing and sticky on other side. Some say it works well only when installed with some 3M spray adhesive.

About $15-$18 a roll 12"x15' only weighs 3lbs. For 15ft that's pretty cheap.

I am planning on using the same here.

And it does not smell.

The roofing material is the one that smells.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:28 AM

Anyone on here make rings? How much?
Old 08-24-2006, 02:05 PM

ya ill buy some rings too.. if their cheap for 5.5 gen.. oh ya i hear as a tip from someone when making rings.. to spraypaint it after your done.. cause moisture can get into the wood make it smell or soggy.. i dunno something like that.. but all i know is that i hear its good to paint the rings..

someone's gotta sell mdf rings here for poor ppl like me that do not have access to tools????
Old 09-03-2006, 06:36 PM

hey im a cheap bastard .. ok .. anyhow.. will it be ok.. if i just use the plastic rings and not dynamting the door.. no way im gona do that cost a lot to dynamat.. i got the same speakers as u blackpearle
I just found this out today when installing speakers in the back doors. You HAVE TO make MDF rings for the rear speakers, the stock plastic rings are different than the ones used up front. So, I had to make some MDF rings, no biggie, very easy to do with a drill and a jigsaw. I also Dynamatted the lower part of the doors and around the speakers. I would post some pics if I could, but, I havn't made my 15 posts yet. I also have some pics of the trick way that I mounted the amp. Anyhow, I guess I'll just go ahead and make MDF rings for the front when I get arouund to Dynamatting the front doors. System sounds GREAT with the 4 JL Audio speakers, but, I wish I could tweak the EQ........Premier headunit will be the next install
Old 09-10-2006, 11:29 AM

ya ill buy some rings too.. if their cheap for 5.5 gen.. oh ya i hear as a tip from someone when making rings.. to spraypaint it after your done.. cause moisture can get into the wood make it smell or soggy.. i dunno something like that.. but all i know is that i hear its good to paint the rings..

someone's gotta sell mdf rings here for poor ppl like me that do not have access to tools????
I'll make you some MDF rings, and I'll make them for anyone else who is interested. $12 a pair or $20 for a set of 4 + shipping. They'll be painted black b/c MDF puts out some urea formaldehyde, read here http://www.design-technology.org/mdf.htm, so, it should be painted. Anyhow, let me know if you are interested and I'll make them up for ya.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:59 PM

eh, the urea formalehyde shouldn't really pose a problem unless you're breathing in the MDF dust.

just my 2 cents.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:48 PM

Well, from what that site says it is released even without cutting it. Just an extra precaution and it looks nicer to have them painted, not that anyone will really see it, but, what can I say, I'm a perfectionist when it comes to making things.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:04 PM
How 'bout them cliffs?

I'll make you some MDF rings, and I'll make them for anyone else who is interested. $12 a pair or $20 for a set of 4 + shipping. They'll be painted black b/c MDF puts out some urea formaldehyde, read here http://www.design-technology.org/mdf.htm, so, it should be painted. Anyhow, let me know if you are interested and I'll make them up for ya.
i'll take 4 for a 4th gen.

Quick Reply: 6.5" Custom MDF Rings: Anyone Makes These?