Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Looking to upgrade my sound system

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 07:47 AM

Looking to upgrade my sound system

Hello all

In the next 3-4 months, I want to make some upgrades to my sound system.

However, I don't have the Bose system. I just have the factory base system. Where do you reccommend me start my upgrade process?

CD player? HU? Speakers? Amps? Sub?

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2006, 08:36 AM

Depends on your priorities. I like clean music (I'm out of the "I want everyone to hear my 'bump' at stoplights" stage. I have a Ducati for an annoyingly loud vehicle.).

I got some Rainbow SLC265 component speakers (from Don or PearlMax on here) for the front (fit in stock locations) and I also got a Diamond Audio D3400.4 amp (under the power driver's seat). I run those off the stock HU and it sounds very clear with great bass for not having a sub. Definately would sound better with a sub for the deep stuff, but it is perfectly acceptable for me. It would get louder/sound better with aftermarket HU (I would do an Eclipse), but I like the look of stock.

Those speakers are very clear and have great midbass. Postal Service and Radiohead sound amazing in the car (almost as good as home, but not quite ). I do have a rattle in the front doors (mainly the passenger door panel and handle trim and stuff in the driver's side pocket). If I had had some sound deadener stuff to put on while I already had the doors apart, it would have been easy and worthwhile (even just like 10' would make a nice difference I think). Also, try to get some MDF rings to mount the speakers to the door, I used the stock plastic ones and it sounds like they reverberate a bit.

I don't consider myself an audiophile, but I do like clean sound with a sufficient bottom end.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

+1 on SLC's up front.
Look in the group deals for it. Work on the front stage first then worry about the rest later. For a HU do you want Navi or just plain cd/mp3 player? What is your budget?
Old 08-11-2006, 08:47 AM

I dig the Rainbows, cause almost no one has heard of them, but they are way better than the Infinity/Polk that everyone else has and cost about the same.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by nishfish871
+1 on SLC's up front.
Look in the group deals for it. Work on the front stage first then worry about the rest later. For a HU do you want Navi or just plain cd/mp3 player? What is your budget?
Simply, I'd like to keep it pretty simple but I want to make the right additions as well.

I don't want to upgrade the speakers to then have my HU not be able to really handle them, for example. Probably no Navi system, but for the right price, anything is possible, but more than likely, no to Navi.

I havnt set a budget really, because I'm not sure how much things usually run for depending on upgrades and all.

Sorry it took so long to update. Been busy at work and don't get much time at home sometimes to check the forums.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:29 PM
tastey wheat

i vote change your HU first, then if you can get the SLCs like all the above has mentioned, and maybe a 2 channel amp. that will set you well on your way, once you realize how much better that stuff alone will sound, the car-audio bug will bite you.. and you'll never stop. at least, thats what happened to me, a long time ago
Old 08-15-2006, 02:32 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by KyMan
I dig the Rainbows, cause almost no one has heard of them, but they are way better than the Infinity/Polk that everyone else has and cost about the same.

MANY people have heard of them, but if you're not truelly into car audio then you probably wouldn't know much/anything about them.

As far as first step I would go with a headunit... I would consider the pioneer premier 880 prs, very very nice unit that I'm thinking about upgrading to.

Get used to the headunit, all its capabilities etc etc, then go with a front sound stage + amplifier. For the finale get a sub... of course you can do all that at the same time as well. I would suggest getting a 4 channel amp with 80x4rms power or more use the front channels to power the fronts, and the rear bridged to a sub to complete a solid spectrum of frequency response using the least amount of components possible 1 amp for highs mids and lows.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:20 PM

My system is complete other than covering the subwoofer enclosure in the trunk, had the car 2 weeks now. I told myself when I bought it I would not do anything to it, being a car stereo enthusiast for 15 years proved me wrong. I have a few pics on my Car Domain page, plan on taking more this weekend.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Atlanta_Tider