Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

New Video HU

Old 09-12-2006, 08:46 AM

New Video HU

What do you guys think of this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/JENSEN-VM-9311-7...QQcmdZViewItem

I am wanting to stay in that price range and all those features would be great!! Any other recommendations would be great!!!
Thanks
Old 09-12-2006, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by digital_ripper0
What do you guys think of this?
Its a complete piece of ****.
If you want to throw away 400 bucks, ill pm you my paypal address. Save up more money.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

^^^^^^^What he said. Since he said it first, just send him the money......
Old 09-12-2006, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by kpr10is
Its a complete piece of ****.
If you want to throw away 400 bucks, ill pm you my paypal address. Save up more money.
Why is it a piece of ****? Can you recommend something around that price range?
Old 09-12-2006, 02:18 PM

I think Jensen is even worse than Sony car audio now. (Sony used to be good though. Oh how I miss those days.)

If you only have $400 for a head unit, then just get a CD player and not a DVD/Video head unit (or at least get one without a built in screen and add a screen later). Ask Don (a.k.a. Pearl96Max) for some suggestions. (He has a store in NJ)

Also, don't buy something like that on ebay unless you don't care if it has a warranty or not.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bollwerk
I think Jensen is even worse than Sony car audio now. (Sony used to be good though. Oh how I miss those days.)

If you only have $400 for a head unit, then just get a CD player and not a DVD/Video head unit (or at least get one without a built in screen and add a screen later). Ask Don (a.k.a. Pearl96Max) for some suggestions. (He has a store in NJ)

Also, don't buy something like that on ebay unless you don't care if it has a warranty or not.
I already have a decent HU, should I just look for a decent screen and put my own dvd player in there
Old 09-12-2006, 06:54 PM

jensen is trash y dont you just gret a microvision and a cd/dvd hu
Old 09-12-2006, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by jitiola
jensen is trash y dont you just gret a microvision and a cd/dvd hu

thanks for the help, great suggestions. You contribute so much to the forum.

LOL I just found these reviews
http://www.nextag.com/Jensen-In-Dash...2/reviews-html

Also a couple more, you have to have the car in park to play a DVD wtf is that haha

what do you guys recommend? Would it be easier to get a nice screen an just put my dvd player in there
Old 09-13-2006, 05:15 AM
shift_Puff

get a HU with dvd readability and when you can, get yourself the screen. Don't buy garbage
Old 09-13-2006, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by 95mtlMAXSE
get a HU with dvd readability and when you can, get yourself the screen. Don't buy garbage

what screen would you suggest now? I sitll havent had one suggestion, just all negative ****
Old 09-13-2006, 11:10 AM

I just bought the 9511 for $380. Seems like a good deal for the money.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:18 AM

digital ripper: fu(king relax.

Lets step back and look at this "negative ****."
Your first post asked what we thought of Jensen. I didnt have all day to lecture you in the many reasons Jensen sucks, so by post #4 you were asking for other recommendations. There are 10 posts in this thread, so that leaves 6 of those for other recommendations. Of those 6, every other post was by yourself, so that leaves 3 for other people to post. The first of those 3 was Bollwerk who gave you great advice, saying to just get a normal head unit. You proceed to then tell us you already have a head unit, info which would have been useful in the FIRST post. The next person posting besides yourself was jitiola, which if you have a 4th gen, his advice was good also. Microvision 7" screens go on here for ~155 from Redmax, which would go in your double din spot, with a cd/dvd head unit in the 3rd din as jitiola said. Its a very cost effective solution that many 4th genners here have done. We still don't know what year your max is, which is also info that would have been useful in the FIRST post. Yet in the very next post, you shot him down. For what reason? Who knows. Where is all this negative ****? Who knows.

So youll have to excuse us if we dont want to bend over backwards for you. This type of question is a dime a dozen from newbs here. With a little bit of searching, you not only would have found threads like this on here, but also your own results and conclusions on the internet about why Jensen sucks as much as they do. So how about a little mutual respect, positivity, and info in what you post, and maybe youll gain a little respect around here and we'll actually be able to help you.

Oh yeah, check out this video while youre at it
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

-Kevin

EDIT: I apparently took more than 8 minutes to type that, because there are now 11 posts in this thread, not 10. But disregard post #11, because its as useless of a post as any of the rest in this thread. No offense shift, but you couldnt pay me to run a Jensen.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:25 AM

No offense taken. I bought it to resell on ebay =) Still stand by it being ok for the price though.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:00 PM

digital ripper: fu(king relax.

Lets step back and look at this "negative ****."
Your first post asked what we thought of Jensen. I didnt have all day to lecture you in the many reasons Jensen sucks, so by post #4 you were asking for other recommendations. There are 10 posts in this thread, so that leaves 6 of those for other recommendations. Of those 6, every other post was by yourself, so that leaves 3 for other people to post. The first of those 3 was Bollwerk who gave you great advice, saying to just get a normal head unit. You proceed to then tell us you already have a head unit, info which would have been useful in the FIRST post. The next person posting besides yourself was jitiola, which if you have a 4th gen, his advice was good also. Microvision 7" screens go on here for ~155 from Redmax, which would go in your double din spot, with a cd/dvd head unit in the 3rd din as jitiola said. Its a very cost effective solution that many 4th genners here have done. We still don't know what year your max is, which is also info that would have been useful in the FIRST post. Yet in the very next post, you shot him down. For what reason? Who knows. Where is all this negative ****? Who knows.

So youll have to excuse us if we dont want to bend over backwards for you. This type of question is a dime a dozen from newbs here. With a little bit of searching, you not only would have found threads like this on here, but also your own results and conclusions on the internet about why Jensen sucks as much as they do. So how about a little mutual respect, positivity, and info in what you post, and maybe youll gain a little respect around here and we'll actually be able to help you.
My first post I was asking for other recommendations. After that the next two posts are just people saying Jensen sucks, I get the idea. If this question is a dime a dozen why would you have to bend over backwards?
Old 09-13-2006, 12:06 PM
The original VQ...

jensen is know for its poor quality, cant say i havent bought it back in the day tho

But go for it if you like the way it looks, It cant be that bad??
Old 09-13-2006, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
jensen is know for its poor quality, cant say i havent bought it back in the day tho

But go for it if you like the way it looks, It cant be that bad??

That's what we are trying to prevent him from doing. It IS that bad. Worst H/U I have ever seen. Highest rate of returns for manufacturers I have ever seen.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by filtor1
That's what we are trying to prevent him from doing. It IS that bad. Worst H/U I have ever seen. Highest rate of returns for manufacturers I have ever seen.

yep lol I know forsure I will not get a jensen HU. What do you guys think of just a plain screen from ebay? Here are a couple I ran into while browsing.

First Screen < That has a video of the HU

Second Screen

Third Screen

Forth Screen
Old 09-13-2006, 10:36 PM

Ill save everyone else the trouble of clicking on those links and say what they are:
Innovatek
Lanzar
Dual
Pyle, and refurbished at that.

Not to seem like an @sshole, but quit while youre ahead. Stop making your own suggestions, and GIVE US THE INFORMATION I was talking about in post #12. Even so, with the apparent budget you have, nothing you suggest is going to be any better than a steaming pile of ****.

Theres nothing wrong with a decent plain screen, like the Microvision suggested above that you quickly shot down and still havent replied to, but we still have NO IDEA what year your car is, what you already have, what your goal is with this, whether youve shopped around and gotten an idea for anything you like rather than egay, etc.

And as you did with Jensen, 2 seconds on google would have learned you the fact that those brands are the bottom of the barrel. Therefore, nobody is going to be of any help to you, yet you keep on posting without giving us any info. I was hoping the essay I wrote above might change the thread a little, but I guess its hopeless.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:41 PM

save up some $ and get the pioneer 5700 which will be on sale if it isnt already. Honestly...there is NO point in anything Jensen in life. a Maxima deserves something that will work.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:28 AM

If you already have a decent HU, but want to add a screen + dvd, then we have a bit of a problem. Generally speaking, for car audio/video, folks want a complete integrated solution, where the everything works together and can be controlled from one place. For example, you probably want a head unit that can control either play DVDs and output the video to a seperate screen (if it doesn't have one built in), or you want the head unit to be able to control a seperate dvd player that can send the sound to your head unit (or a seperate processor) and the video to a seperate screen. In order for a head unit to control something else, they usually have to be from the same manufacturer. Since we don't know anything about your car, existing head unit/system or overall goals, any advice we give you will be incomplete or inaccurate at best. So please help us out by providing more information so we can help you better. =)
Old 09-14-2006, 09:44 AM
blah

Well if you do have a 4th gen and you wanna save I would recommend JVC's 2 din unit (AVX-706). It goes for about $600 on ebay it works perfectly fine. Has all the features you could want if you don't need a touch screen nor navigation. It plays audio off of everything (cd's cdrw, dvd, dvdrw, and sd cards). It has 3 pairs of rca outs unlike the jensen's 1 pair and I can turn off the internal amp. It also controls the power antenna (thank god I can throw away that radio shack switch!). The only problem I had with it were the screen backgrounds/displays(not the best options) and it pokes out (I did some drilling and grinding to the factory bracket to make it sit flush with center console). It also doesn't play Dolby AC3 audio streams when running mpeg files. This can be fixed easily using video convert master.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:47 AM

Ill save everyone else the trouble of clicking on those links and say what they are:
Innovatek
Lanzar
Dual
Pyle, and refurbished at that.

Not to seem like an @sshole, but quit while youre ahead. Stop making your own suggestions, and GIVE US THE INFORMATION I was talking about in post #12. Even so, with the apparent budget you have, nothing you suggest is going to be any better than a steaming pile of ****.

Theres nothing wrong with a decent plain screen, like the Microvision suggested above that you quickly shot down and still havent replied to, but we still have NO IDEA what year your car is, what you already have, what your goal is with this, whether youve shopped around and gotten an idea for anything you like rather than egay, etc.

And as you did with Jensen, 2 seconds on google would have learned you the fact that those brands are the bottom of the barrel. Therefore, nobody is going to be of any help to you, yet you keep on posting without giving us any info. I was hoping the essay I wrote above might change the thread a little, but I guess its hopeless.

I didn't shoot it down I just really dont want a double din unit. Right now I am driving a 03 Galant lol. I am waiting on a final price for a 02 Max SE, so thats another story lol. My budget also changed a little to $450. My goal for this screen is to just play dvd's, burned dvds, and maybe hook up my modded xbox to it. My current HU is Alpine CDA-9857. Today I do not have work I will be going to Best Buy and Circuit City to just get an idea of whats out there and to see what looks good to me.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:15 PM

OK. You have 2 options here.

1) Sell your existing head unit and buy one that plays DVDs (something like the Alpine DVA-9860 if you want single-DIN - $499 or so) and get a seperate monitor.
2) Get a completely seperate DVD/monitor solution and send the audio portion into your existing head unit as an "aux" input. As far as I can find on Google, you're not going to find much good quality going this route.
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=15622
Looks like a piece of crap - this is the only sort of thing I can find that isn't a "back seat or ceiling mount" sort of setup.
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=16976
This one is made by Directed, so it might be decent, but I don't know for sure.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:11 PM

I went to look around a couple stores today and didn't find ****. Circuit City and Best Buy had a total of two unites on display and they were around $1899 haha. I didn't get a chance to go to the local car audio store so I will get down there tomorrow.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:00 AM

You might also want to poke around Crutchfield online. Their prices are "ok", but they have a fairly big selection, excellent customer service and are an authorized retailer for everything (i believe) they have, unlike many other online places. (Which means the manufacturer warranty is void if purchased through a non-authorized retailer, despite their claims otherwise)
Old 09-15-2006, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bollwerk
You might also want to poke around Crutchfield online. Their prices are "ok", but they have a fairly big selection, excellent customer service and are an authorized retailer for everything (i believe) they have, unlike many other online places. (Which means the manufacturer warranty is void if purchased through a non-authorized retailer, despite their claims otherwise)

forgot about them, going to look now
Old 09-18-2006, 12:03 PM

I just sent a email to Crutchfield to make sure the manu. warranty will stick. I might buy something off their.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:59 PM

I made it to my local car audio shop and looked around. I found one HU that is in my price range. Its a DUAL XDVD8182 and it looked nice. What are your guys thoughs on that unit, heres a link to look at it

http://cgi.ebay.com/DUAL-XDVD8182-7-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 09-19-2006, 08:20 PM
tastey wheat

Originally Posted by digital_ripper0
I made it to my local car audio shop and looked around. I found one HU that is in my price range. Its a DUAL XDVD8182 and it looked nice. What are your guys thoughs on that unit, heres a link to look at it

http://cgi.ebay.com/DUAL-XDVD8182-7-...QQcmdZViewItem
no.

actually, yes, buy it. and then tell us how you like it. i bet within 10 minutes of use, you'll find 10 things you hate about it, or 10 things will break, etc..

Dual is underneath the bottom of the barrel. its' the bacteria on the scum on the flea of the dog. im so sick of them - how can a company stay in business and sell a product that barely works??!?

/rant
Old 09-19-2006, 08:24 PM

I dunno, he did link to refurbished Pyle up above.

The bottom line, digital, is that youll get what you pay for, and nothing in your price range is going to be worth buying.