Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

crutchfield packages

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 10:11 PM
I C U

crutchfield packages

With a $500 budget, I'd just like to know how well matched these packages are if I'm just looking to add decent bass.

Seen here
Old 10-13-2006, 12:43 AM
Doggah Bite...

First of all, I would never buy a pre-fabbed sub box. It is almost guarenteed to not be the optimum sized enclosure for whatever you're going to put in it, so if you're able, just build one to the correct specs.

also, I would NEVER buy anything from Crutchfield, as they are way overpriced; do some searching online and you can find alot better stuff for what you are going to spend with them.

as far as the stuff on that page goes, I think something like this would be your best bet:http://www.crutchfield.com/S-nBMoKHs...50&I=700ROCKP4. look for something in that range of stuff, stick with decent name brands. RF, Alpine, Infinity are all in your price range and like I said, shop ONLINE. for $500 you should be able to find yourself some alright beatdown...
Old 10-13-2006, 12:54 AM
I C U

Originally Posted by MadMaxSE-L
First of all, I would never buy a pre-fabbed sub box. It is almost guarenteed to not be the optimum sized enclosure for whatever you're going to put in it, so if you're able, just build one to the correct specs.

also, I would NEVER buy anything from Crutchfield, as they are way overpriced; do some searching online and you can find alot better stuff for what you are going to spend with them.

as far as the stuff on that page goes, I think something like this would be your best bet:http://www.crutchfield.com/S-nBMoKHs...50&I=700ROCKP4. look for something in that range of stuff, stick with decent name brands. RF, Alpine, Infinity are all in your price range and like I said, shop ONLINE. for $500 you should be able to find yourself some alright beatdown...

thanks for the reply. Oh do believe I know for a fact there are etter deals out there, I was using them more so as a reference point ssing as they have alot of info/specs on some of the brands I was looking at. As for that link, it's liek you read my mind. I was actually looking more towards that package. I was actually looking at the one that came in the box this as a matter of fact.

YOu sayign that that box might be garbage too? I don;t know, probably better than anything I can fabricate right now But thanks, I'll look into it.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:16 AM
Doggah Bite...

Originally Posted by illlojik
YOu sayign that that box might be garbage too? I don;t know, probably better than anything I can fabricate right now But thanks, I'll look into it.
I don't really know about the box, like who made it or anything, but I doubt it comes from Fosgate, and if it doesn't there is a good chance you will not realize the full potential of those subs as that box looks ported and MAYBE all wrong for them. But, as I said, I know nothing about it and if you are really not able to build one, then I say go pre-fab...
Old 10-13-2006, 01:29 AM
I C U

I see. I thought a ported box (any one in general) would be good for those subs, at least better than sealed. I could be wrong?
Old 10-13-2006, 02:08 AM
Doggah Bite...

I see. I thought a ported box (any one in general) would be good for those subs, at least better than sealed. I could be wrong?
it just depends on the combo. You have some forgiveness in a sealed box as to size, just as long as it's airtight and in the ballpark it will be ok, but you just have a range of volume where you need to make the box. but with a ported box, you have to consider the tuning frequency, port area, port airspeed, box size, what driver you're putting in the box pushed by how much power, where you want your cutoff to be, etc. it just takes more work to get a vented box to sound well, and you kind of have to know what you are doing. so basically what im saying is that you make a vented enclosure SPECIFICALLY TO WHAT YOU ARE PUTTING IN IT, and leaving everything else the same and putting a different kind of sub in that same box will probably not be optimal... but you can built a 1.5cu.ft sealed box and put most any 12 in it and it'll prolly be ok...

hope that was at least kind of helpful...
Old 10-13-2006, 05:35 AM
is invisible

thanks for the reply. Oh do believe I know for a fact there are etter deals out there, I was using them more so as a reference point ssing as they have alot of info/specs on some of the brands I was looking at. As for that link, it's liek you read my mind. I was actually looking more towards that package. I was actually looking at the one that came in the box this as a matter of fact.

What about this one?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-WRtZKYl...50&I=700INFB10

btw, is 100watts(x2) enough to power each woofer?
Old 10-13-2006, 05:45 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

What is wrong with Crutchfield? YOU say overpriced, but theyre actually at or slightly below MAP which is where it is supposed to be sold at. That is one of the Very few places on line thats actually authorized to sell products that they carry. They have impeccable customer service and a warranty. If warranties and support are unimportant to you, then so be it, but some people still like to have that extra peace of mind.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:46 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

I don't really know about the box, like who made it or anything, but I doubt it comes from Fosgate, and if it doesn't there is a good chance you will not realize the full potential of those subs as that box looks ported and MAYBE all wrong for them. But, as I said, I know nothing about it and if you are really not able to build one, then I say go pre-fab...

Actually it does come from RF. Of course as with most manufacturers its outsourced to a different company for the build, but is designed specifically to specs for the chosen subs it holds.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:45 AM
I C U

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Actually it does come from RF. Of course as with most manufacturers its outsourced to a different company for the build, but is designed specifically to specs for the chosen subs it holds.
Yeah I found that out during some research. And it looks like Don is right in regards to Crutchfield's prices (Of course he'll be ). So far that's the best price I've seen that RF package at.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I'll definately look more into it.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

+1 on Don's Crutchfield comments. If anything goes wrong, I prefer to deal with a company with a good reputation and return policy. (and a valid warranty)