Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Adding amplifier

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 02:07 PM

Adding amplifier

First of all, yes i have read the faq's, but i still have questions on adding an amplifier to the bose system on my 2k. I know pac audio makes the parts i need but the part numbers provided in the FAQ's seem to be outdated, as i could not find them on the website. If someone knows the part numbers or where to find them that would be great!

oh, and another question: what about the remote wire? amps obviously need one to know when to turn on and off( or do they...?), but i couldnt find any infomration on that, or where it would come from in the wiring system, as the pac setup with the y-cable deals mostly with the rca's if i understood right so i dont know where the remote comes into the picture.

so if anyone could post the part numbers and explain the remote wire that would be great.
thanks for your time!
Old 10-16-2006, 02:12 PM

I tried the pac setup with no luck; probably operator error. I opted for a aftermarket headunit and would have it no other way. The factory unit is by far the weakest link of the whole system.

Plus, with a aftermarket, you'll get the rca's and remote power wire you need. If this isn't a option and you must keep that factory headunit, you can either pull a remote from the factory amp, or run a wire from the fuse box to the back.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:04 PM
Suspension Yoda

This would be better in the audio section, but here goes.

You don't actually need a PAC adapter to add an aftermarket amp (I'm assuming for subs?) to your Bose system. Since the OEM Bose HU puts out a line level signal, you can just tap the "speaker leads" coming out of the back of the Bose HU and splice in some RCA's and run them into the RCA input of your aftermarket amp. The bose remote turn on wire is green with a white stripe, located behind the Bose HU. You can tap there and run an 18 or 20 gauge wire to the aftermarket amp with your RCA's. Hope this helps.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:05 PM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by sraey8
I tried the pac setup with no luck; probably operator error. I opted for a aftermarket headunit and would have it no other way. The factory unit is by far the weakest link of the whole system.

Plus, with a aftermarket, you'll get the rca's and remote power wire you need. If this isn't a option and you must keep that factory headunit, you can either pull a remote from the factory amp, or run a wire from the fuse box to the back.
on this. You just can't beat what a new HU will do. It will even make your current Bose system sound better (if installed correctly). If you do this, you may not even need an aftermarket amp
Old 10-16-2006, 06:08 PM
Hoooper

you dont NEED the pac audio adapter. i have mine set up with just an RCA adapter and remote antennae adapter. that takes signal from stock sub and lets you run an after market amp

Old 10-16-2006, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
This would be better in the audio section, but here goes.

You don't actually need a PAC adapter to add an aftermarket amp (I'm assuming for subs?) to your Bose system. Since the OEM Bose HU puts out a line level signal, you can just tap the "speaker leads" coming out of the back of the Bose HU and splice in some RCA's and run them into the RCA input of your aftermarket amp. The bose remote turn on wire is green with a white stripe, located behind the Bose HU. You can tap there and run an 18 or 20 gauge wire to the aftermarket amp with your RCA's. Hope this helps.
i would serously not recommend doing it this way. you will burn your amp out within two weeks. the line coming from the bose sub is an amplified line. there is an amp that pushes the bose and this line comes from it. if you try to put an amp on this line it is like putting one amp on an line from another amp. to much juice, it will burn out your aftermarket amp. change the head unit radio and hook the amp up to the preamp out on the new radio.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:46 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by vinny
i would serously not recommend doing it this way. you will burn your amp out within two weeks. the line coming from the bose sub is an amplified line. there is an amp that pushes the bose and this line comes from it. if you try to put an amp on this line it is like putting one amp on an line from another amp. to much juice, it will burn out your aftermarket amp. change the head unit radio and hook the amp up to the preamp out on the new radio.

Where was it stated to get this from the sub wiring? It wasnt, simply stated from behing the HU...which is UNAMPLIFIED.

If you cant read the post, then please dont post misinformation about it.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:49 PM

i am looking into getting a new HU but.. does anyone have those part numbers for pac adapters please?
i know i could do it without them but i would like to see how much it would be the other way first. thanks