Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

all you guys that own stereo shops.. looking for high output altenator !!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2001, 03:37 PM
KCTYPHOON

well.. in case nobody noticed my other thread in the parts section, i posted a thread looking for a high output altenator.. so far, there's like 2 or 3 of us intrested in buying one.. anyone know where we can get it? how much? how big do i need? and how bout one of those group deal things?? anyone? anyone??

Old 07-02-2001, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by KCTYPHOON
well.. in case nobody noticed my other thread in the parts section, i posted a thread looking for a high output altenator.. so far, there's like 2 or 3 of us intrested in buying one.. anyone know where we can get it? how much? how big do i need? and how bout one of those group deal things?? anyone? anyone??
i want the green machine alternator.. (is taht what its called?) it's featured in the new car audio magazine..
Old 07-02-2001, 05:56 PM
KCTYPHOON

Originally posted by mingo

i want the green machine alternator.. (is taht what its called?) it's featured in the new car audio magazine..
i dont even know what your talkin about.. but i'd like to . ... unfortunaely i just got out from under my car.. i have a total of 1 hanger holding the middle of the exhaust up.. everything is jerked.. so guess where the money is goin for rite now.. this sucks... but if we find a good enough deal im still in..

Old 08-02-2001, 08:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Any news on this yet?

Please/......
Old 08-03-2001, 09:37 AM

I need to get a 200 amp alternator for my 88 maxima. All the stereo shops say that no companies make one for my car so they would have to send it out and have it redone. They say it will cost $650. Are there any other options? I was thinking of taking my old one off and making some new brackets for a new one that is high amperage. Anybody ever tried this?
Old 08-06-2001, 05:04 PM

185 Amp Alternator for 95-99 Max

Ohio Generator makes a high-output alternator for the 95-99 Maxima's. According to the rep. I spoke with it is rated at 185 Amps. We had one installed in a 97 I30 and found it to be more like 220 Amps when hot. As compared to the stock unit which I believe is 120A if you have electronic climate control, its a pretty big difference. We had 2 HUGE RF amps running on the stock alt. and it was making the interior lights turn off almost altogether. After the OG alt. was installed there was no flicker at all. The OG alt. is basically an exact replacement for the stock unit. I can get them at wholesale, roughly $500ea. Of course you can always call them yourself, they have ads in nearly every car audio magazine, the phone number is at work right now and I am not. If anyone is interested they ship pretty quickly. I have ordered 2 so far and both came in within a week. They accept only COD. People w/ older Max's lemme know and I will inquire to OG.

good luck

ryan
Old 08-06-2001, 09:01 PM
jmax

The stock unit is a Hitachi 110 amp. If you have really installed the Ohio Generator as I have then you know that it is not a direct replacement. You will need a new upper bracket and instead of the stock 43 inch belt you will need a 41.5 to 42 inch belt. It will work with a 42.5 but the idler pulley will have to be adjusted almost all the way down. You will also have to hard wire it yourself which is pretty easy. The hardest thing is squeezing the mother up in there while the AC compressor dangles over your head. My OG just burnt out. It's been installed about 10.5 months. Still don't have the sub amp hooked up but the alt is toasted. It died on Saturday. I am going to see if they will mail me a new one so I only have to take the car apart once. Otherwise I have to find a way to get the Hitachi unit back in.

Old 08-06-2001, 09:49 PM

Ohio Generator Alt. Install

I never said I installed the alternator. I said WE HAD IT INSTALLED. It was reported back to me by the man who installed the alternator that he had to make two adjustments: he had to adjust one of the alternator's brackets; mainly to keep the alternator away from items that its heat could damage and he also had to find a place to tie up the wiring harness the runs into the alternator. Both of these adjustments he said were by no means a big deal, but then again he plays with alternators all day long.

As far as the alternator standing the test of time, the I30 that the alternator went into has an RF 1500.1 and an 800.4 running off of it and has given us no trouble in the 5 months since it was installed. Perhaps OG has revised their design since yours was purchased and installed making for an easier installation and better durability. That I cannot say, but I can say that we have purchased numerous alternators from Ohio Generator and have very seldom run into any problems while achieving very satisfactory results.
Old 08-07-2001, 07:02 AM

So this thing is not a stock replacement in terms of size and fit? I need to be very careful with the Alternator since I have to shave the stocker as it is for the SC... I don't think this is the solution to my issue. I want boost and tunes at the same time. Sheesh...

Del
Old 08-08-2001, 06:58 AM

hmmmm.... No responses?

Del
Old 08-08-2001, 08:29 AM
jmax

Sorry, I have been away from my computer. Despite being unable to drive after dark. The OG has a larger case. In order to fit you have to 'roll it up'. What I mean is secure the lower bolt and literally roll the unit upwards with the bolt as your pivot. When it is as high as it will go the AC compressor needs to be reinstalled. The alternator will be unable to move once the AC is reinstalled. But a new upper bracket, or altered upper bracket is recommended in order to increase ground to the chasis and to further secure the unit as having the alt improperly aligned will burn up the belts. Having the unit up higher may interfere with the supercharger mounting. I don't know as I haven't seen an installed supercharger. This only concerns me slightly because by the time I pay off the rest of the car and stereo I will probably have 200,000 miles. Not an ideal supercharger candidate. There is nothing so close to the alternator that it's heat could damage that wouldn't already be damaged by the engines heat. The cure for the wiring harness is a common wire tie.

Old 08-08-2001, 10:46 AM

The issue with the SC is that the directions inculde shaving the existing Alternator casing a little, so any biger casing and we would have to shave that much more. The belt routing issues would be a whole other ball game. That is why I would tend to like for more a stock replacement in size and installation, with increased amperage. Even if it was not as high as 185. I would be content with 145 or 150.

Del
Old 08-08-2001, 06:59 PM

Alternator

The I30 that the OG alternator went into banged pretty loud. I am in the car audio business and this was def. a success in terms of audio. The car didn't have an SC in it, thus I cannot say what the effects would be. The casing didn't seem much bigger, but it served the purpose that I needed it to serve. Like I said for audio I haven't found anything to beat it, but in conjunction w/ a SC I am really not sure.

ryan
Old 08-09-2001, 07:35 AM
jmax

From the pics of the Stillen supercharger that I have seen on the net the charger mounts above the current system of belts. The only place that shaveing may need to be done would probably be the top of the alternator as it would normally rest just below the charger. As the OG is mounted higher to accomadate the larger casing it would probably not work with the supercharger. You may want to try Stinger or Streetwires. I know they are more expensive but the casing may be smaller or more similar to the Hitachi. Superchargers and High end audio with high power don't really mix because of the amperage needed to turn the supercharger. If you want high power audio and significantly higher power it will be best to go the Jim Wolf Turbo route. Or switch to something with a V8. Of course there is the alternative of removing the AC compressor. You could mount the alternator in that location. Combined with the weight savings and decreased resistance in the entire belt system this would be your best Supercharger/High power audio setup.

Old 08-10-2001, 11:12 PM

Ohio generaters makes a 200 amp and 300 amp alt.