Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Powered Sub Wiring Question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 05:18 PM
Infiniti 35 Double G's

Powered Sub Wiring Question...

bought a new sub (the small Kenwood that's about shoebox-sized), and according to the instructions provided, i'm to connect the power wire (yellow) to the power wire (yellow) in the HU's harness, meaning both components will be powered by the same source wire. is this the usual method for powering a sub? again, it's a really small sub (150w max)...

bonus question: also looking to upgrade my amp to one that requires a 4-gauge wire from the battery...i'm seeing two diff. kinds of wiring kits, one with a 100-amp fuse, and the other with a 75/80; which is more consistent with an amp of that size (88w X 4-ch)?
Old 12-26-2006, 05:39 PM

i would run a dedicated line to that powered sub. something like an 8 gauge (or even 10 gauge) wire would be fine. i wouldn't put too much strain on the wire feeding the HU.

but if you're considering getting an external amp, go ahead a run a thicker wire (i would do 4 gauge) and then have a distribution block and run two smaller gauge wire to the powered sub and your other amp. as for what size fuse, check with the amp's manual. it should give some ideas on the proper size fuse for it.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:42 PM
Infiniti 35 Double G's

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
i would run a dedicated line to that powered sub. something like an 8 gauge (or even 10 gauge) wire would be fine. i wouldn't put too much strain on the wire feeding the HU.

but if you're considering getting an external amp, go ahead a run a thicker wire (i would do 4 gauge) and then have a distribution block and run two smaller gauge wire to the powered sub and your other amp. as for what size fuse, check with the amp's manual. it should give some ideas on the proper size fuse for it.
distr. block makes more sense to me, thx; however, if the wiring included with the sub is just the flimsy component wire (don't know the gauge, but the same as what's used in the HU harness up front), would i need to "upgrade" that as well?
Old 12-26-2006, 05:44 PM

yeah, i still would upgrade. more than likely that on board amp on the sub will draw more current than the one in the HU. it might starve for power if both the HU and that amp is drawing power from a single flimsy wire.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:46 PM
Infiniti 35 Double G's

thx for the helpful hints, btw...
Old 01-02-2007, 08:15 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

I think that kenwood sub is gonna get drowned out by the other speakers considering the amount of power you'll be running with it.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:51 PM
Infiniti 35 Double G's

Originally Posted by nismos14
I think that kenwood sub is gonna get drowned out by the other speakers considering the amount of power you'll be running with it.
meh, we'll see...it'll be a while before i get everything installed.