Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

? on kicker system

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2001, 08:26 PM

i am looking to buy 2 kicker l7 subs...(the square type) and i just bought a new deck with preamp outputs so im set withthat...but what should i use for an amp? i se things like 3x200 and im not sure what they mean...also is kicker a reputeable company? im not sure if i should buy a roof rack first or even bother with a system...any input would be great. thanks
Old 07-08-2001, 09:56 PM

email me -

I can get you the hookup on kicker stuff and can tell you plenty about it all too... DONT BUY ANYTHING WITHOUT WARRANTY FROM KICKER! which means DO NOT purchase from internet (ebay, blah blah) b/c even if they say you get warranty, kicker DOES NOT warranty it... I have used my warranties PLENTY, and I have had L7's until last week... so email me - Im too tired to go into it right now, but send me off a email..

BTW kicker is VERY reputable and run L7's w/ a kicker DX amp... L7's turn out to be VERY expensive, trust me... they are SUPER power demanding.

Originally posted by maximaracer28
i am looking to buy 2 kicker l7 subs...(the square type) and i just bought a new deck with preamp outputs so im set withthat...but what should i use for an amp? i se things like 3x200 and im not sure what they mean...also is kicker a reputeable company? im not sure if i should buy a roof rack first or even bother with a system...any input would be great. thanks
Old 07-09-2001, 11:43 PM

Re: email me -

Originally posted by hlh0501
I can get you the hookup on kicker stuff and can tell you plenty about it all too... DONT BUY ANYTHING WITHOUT WARRANTY FROM KICKER! which means DO NOT purchase from internet (ebay, blah blah) b/c even if they say you get warranty, kicker DOES NOT warranty it... I have used my warranties PLENTY, and I have had L7's until last week... so email me - Im too tired to go into it right now, but send me off a email..

BTW kicker is VERY reputable and run L7's w/ a kicker DX amp... L7's turn out to be VERY expensive, trust me... they are SUPER power demanding.

i am seriously conisdering getting rid of my w6's for those L7's. did they bumo good? any problems all info would be apprecaited.
Old 07-10-2001, 04:09 AM

yes the l7's are incredible

The l7's are AWESOME only in HUGE ported boxes... I had 1 10" at first and it was amazing.. people thought I had 2 12's or 2 15's hehe... then I had 2 12" sony xplods only for 2 weeks while I waited for my new 12" L7 to come in... the 2 12" Xplods werent NEAR as loud as my 1 10" hehe... I got the 12 and it was very loud, but I finally decide I wanted 15's just for the fun of it, so I bought kickers highest end round sub... they're a little louder, but I cant really tell yet, they arent broken in.

There is 1 problem with l7s... You HAVE to run a TON of real power to them... like to get my 1 10" L7 to bump good, I had to buy a kicker dx700 amp (899$ retail - 449$ dealer cost) so if you want l7s to be good, expect to pay a TON on the amps... also, the boxes, you must use big ported boxes if you want them to bump... and the boxes are gonna cost a ton, let me know if you really want to do l7's b/c Ive got your hookup probably

any more questions?
Old 07-10-2001, 11:50 AM

Re: yes the l7's are incredible

The l7's are AWESOME only in HUGE ported boxes... I had 1 10" at first and it was amazing.. people thought I had 2 12's or 2 15's hehe... then I had 2 12" sony xplods only for 2 weeks while I waited for my new 12" L7 to come in... the 2 12" Xplods werent NEAR as loud as my 1 10" hehe... I got the 12 and it was very loud, but I finally decide I wanted 15's just for the fun of it, so I bought kickers highest end round sub... they're a little louder, but I cant really tell yet, they arent broken in.

There is 1 problem with l7s... You HAVE to run a TON of real power to them... like to get my 1 10" L7 to bump good, I had to buy a kicker dx700 amp (899$ retail - 449$ dealer cost) so if you want l7s to be good, expect to pay a TON on the amps... also, the boxes, you must use big ported boxes if you want them to bump... and the boxes are gonna cost a ton, let me know if you really want to do l7's b/c Ive got your hookup probably

where u located?? i am in southern california and in need for hookups on those. i have the hookups on rockford fosgate amps. my 800a2 cost me 300 at crutchfield more than 600. will my amp be enough to power it or i need a bigger one?? please email me at khrfadz@hotmail.com or aim is khrfadz. thanks alot and hopefully will do buiseness with u
any more questions?
Old 07-10-2001, 12:42 PM

system

oennight i was goign to get 2 kicker 12 inch l7'...but decided not to cause i need $ for a new car after i sell my max...anyways another reason is this kid on my street has 2 12 inch l7's and has been annoying me causei go to sleep aroudn 1 in the morning...all you hear is bass...wake up all i hear is bass...it gets so annoying so fast that i decided i can live without it....anyways im selling my 92 se if anyones interested? want to buy a new golf gti
Old 07-10-2001, 01:22 PM

let me know if you really want to do l7's b/c Ive got your hookup probably

any more questions?
Yeah, what kind of a hook-up are we talking about here? Shoot me an email, I'm just interested in price. Trying to figure out a decent SPL system. I'm thinking 2 12" L7's with a DX700 for each one would be pretty freakin loud. Let me know. Thanks!!
Old 07-10-2001, 01:33 PM
Steindawg

Kicker is the way to go

My cousin and I just built a six cubic foot box for his two Comp VRs. Now he is without a trunk in his probe, but his hatchback jumps. The speakers are unreal, one of the tuffest looking speakers I have ever seen. He doesn't really have a sufficient amp on them yet(punch power 125x4), not as loud as his JLs were, but they definitely have potential. I have a friend who has been running his kicker amp in parallel to his subs for about four years, rated at 75x2, birth certificate has it rated at 135x2, awesome amp. CS

Old 07-10-2001, 03:30 PM

I do not sell solobarics

I am friends with the owner of a retail store and he has hooked me up with whatever I have wanted at basic cost. If you give me specific things you WANT TO BUY I can check price for ya.. but dont everyone give me a list of like 50 things to check on heheh...
Old 07-11-2001, 05:51 AM
Steindawg

Re: I do not sell solobarics

I am friends with the owner of a retail store and he has hooked me up with whatever I have wanted at basic cost. If you give me specific things you WANT TO BUY I can check price for ya.. but dont everyone give me a list of like 50 things to check on heheh...
How much for a ZR-360 or ZR-600? Thanks, CS

Old 07-11-2001, 05:54 AM

I'll be posting a list of some prices...

there is going to be a little markup from dealer cost just so my friend can make some money (dont worry, Im not getting a cent hehe, you would pay his company... but its a retail store he cant afford to be selling lots of stuff @ cost...)

I will be posting a list of prices here as soon as I get them from him (probably this morning)
Old 07-11-2001, 06:00 AM

Nice!! I can't wait to see his prices. If they look good, I would need a ZR360 and 2 - S12L7 4ohms. Oh and will these prices include shipping?
Old 07-11-2001, 06:09 AM

no, prices will not include shipping but it isn't a marked up shipping, usually very reasonable.

keep in mind when I post the prices that you are buying retail meaning you have a shop to mail stuff to, and the warranty is valid. If you buy anything from kicker from the internet (ebay, ecommerce audio website, etc) no matter what they say, the warranty is not valid. Guys on ebay always say "kicker warranty" blah blah... call kicker and ask about it - they will tell you that they do not warranty anything except retail non-web kicker certified places... the guy I am getting the prices from meets the criteria, and trust me you - you want a warranty. I have setup my own system, and until I got the hang of not messing things up, I blew 3 10" L7's (not at the same time) and 2 12 sony xplods... sony xplods I bought w/ a 30 day money back heheh locally just to use till I got one of my blown l7's back. So I have taken full advantage of the warranty haha.

anyways my point in all that is, yes you can find considerably better "deals" on ebay, but just keep in mind the trouble you could run into. I can say for a fact that the shop I buy my stuff from is very good, legit, has been around for 9, might be 10 years, etc.. but of course you pay a little more (still WAY better then the kicker dealer nearest you locally...)
Old 07-11-2001, 07:57 AM

I completely get where you are coming from. I know Kicker has that policy that you can't buy from people off the internet and expect to get factory warranties. I went to a local shop to purchase a DX700 when mine blew and man the price the guy quoted me was unbelievable!! I had discovered that Crutchfield carries the DX700 and it was a great price, or at least a heck of a lot less then what the guy quoted my at the local shop. If your friend can beat the Crutchfield prices, then I'm all over it. I'm getting my 2nd DX700 fixed in August and I'll be ready for those L7's by the end of the month, or the beginning of September.
Old 07-11-2001, 08:00 AM

yes

he'll be hopefully well under crutchfields prices.. I have no doubt
Old 07-11-2001, 08:07 AM

NICE!!! I'm looking forward to seeing the prices. Perhapds I'll even buy them early if I can front the money. I appreciate what you are doing!!!
Old 07-11-2001, 11:54 AM

PRICES

well, here they are... I don't know if they are good or not, I havent checked retail in a while, but I think they are pretty danged good if I remember correctly. For whoever mentioned crutchfield prices, I was told (dont have time to check right now) that these kill their prices... check and let me know will ya ?

10" L7 = $200
12" L7 = $215
15" L7 = $260
DX700 = $425 (900$ retail!!) see below.. only 1 avail.

the boxes are about 100 (compared to 200$ I know it costs here locally.. for PORTED) plus shipping for the singles,
few bucks more for a double,,, say 125
the shipping will be more on a double ,, also

Sealed box depends on single or double,,

Quote from the email I got from him:
"All the boxes I make,, I use 5/8" or 3/4" MDF wood so the 5/8" is lighter to ship and works fine,, one the L7 boxes I can increase to 3/4" or even 1" thick,, MDF wood,, but can be exp for shipping,, hehe,, so all these make a little difference,,
the DX 700 amp I have one in stock for 425 its in my display so it dosnt have a box,, comes with full warranty,, It is new ,, Its out of the same order yours came with
(talking about me, hlh0501),, long time ago,, its the same,,
the other amps I dont have any right now,,
Just use Crutchfeild magazine for pics and I will kill there prices"

Guys, that is basically a paraphrase of his email to me.. those prices dont include shipping but its not too bad usually. The DX700 amp, first person to get it gets it.. then he will only have new ones available at regular price (I dont remember.. 550$ maybe ?)

Email me or post on here if you want anything.. he is waiting for a new shipment of zr amps, so he wont have prices for a couple days.. if I can help anybody let me know.

-H
Old 07-11-2001, 08:09 PM

Re: PRICES

well, here they are... I don't know if they are good or not, I havent checked retail in a while, but I think they are pretty danged good if I remember correctly. For whoever mentioned crutchfield prices, I was told (dont have time to check right now) that these kill their prices... check and let me know will ya ?

10" L7 = $200
12" L7 = $215
15" L7 = $260
DX700 = $425 (900$ retail!!) see below.. only 1 avail.

the boxes are about 100 (compared to 200$ I know it costs here locally.. for PORTED) plus shipping for the singles,
few bucks more for a double,,, say 125
the shipping will be more on a double ,, also

Sealed box depends on single or double,,

Quote from the email I got from him:
"All the boxes I make,, I use 5/8" or 3/4" MDF wood so the 5/8" is lighter to ship and works fine,, one the L7 boxes I can increase to 3/4" or even 1" thick,, MDF wood,, but can be exp for shipping,, hehe,, so all these make a little difference,,
the DX 700 amp I have one in stock for 425 its in my display so it dosnt have a box,, comes with full warranty,, It is new ,, Its out of the same order yours came with
(talking about me, hlh0501),, long time ago,, its the same,,
the other amps I dont have any right now,,
Just use Crutchfeild magazine for pics and I will kill there prices"

Guys, that is basically a paraphrase of his email to me.. those prices dont include shipping but its not too bad usually. The DX700 amp, first person to get it gets it.. then he will only have new ones available at regular price (I dont remember.. 550$ maybe ?)

Email me or post on here if you want anything.. he is waiting for a new shipment of zr amps, so he wont have prices for a couple days.. if I can help anybody let me know.

-H
now if i buy the woofers from them, do i get any type of warranty? like do i get the kicker warranty cuz thats the warranty i care for. these l7s are the solobarics right?? other than that put me down for 2 15 inch solobaric l7's.
Old 07-11-2001, 09:58 PM

Yes

The guy who is giving me these prices is the owner of a retail store (he "doesnt do web sales") and is kicker certified. You get the full kicker warranty just like you bought them from crutchfield.. and its valid, trust me I've gotten to use it

The l7's are the square solobarics.
Old 07-12-2001, 09:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I was wondering what is the minimum amount of power needed to run one 12" L7? My amp can be bridged to put out 400W RMS, but I don't know if this would be enough. Also these speakers are DVC correct? Would I want a 2Ohm or a 4Ohm speaker as I can get 200W/channel at 2 Ohm or 400W bridged at 4Ohm? I could power each coil seperately right or do they have to be wired in parallel?

Also do you have dimentions for the sealed and ported boxes? Just want to see how well they would fit.
Old 07-13-2001, 05:23 AM

Yes, they are DVC, and you can get either 8ohm version (which means when you wire it, its 4ohm) or a 4ohm version (which runs a 2ohm load on the amp...). 400W would probably push it alright, but kicker solobarics always want a tonnn of power... I ran a few different amps on my 1 10" L7, and until I put my DX700 (900watts rms) I didnt get the full bump out of them...

I have to go sorry to stop a thought halfway through, I am leaving for jacksonville to HAVE 5SPD CONVERSION!!!

Bye

Originally posted by Adidas_Boy
I was wondering what is the minimum amount of power needed to run one 12" L7? My amp can be bridged to put out 400W RMS, but I don't know if this would be enough. Also these speakers are DVC correct? Would I want a 2Ohm or a 4Ohm speaker as I can get 200W/channel at 2 Ohm or 400W bridged at 4Ohm? I could power each coil seperately right or do they have to be wired in parallel?

Also do you have dimentions for the sealed and ported boxes? Just want to see how well they would fit.
Old 07-13-2001, 06:17 AM

Yes, they are DVC, and you can get either 8ohm version (which means when you wire it, its 4ohm) or a 4ohm version (which runs a 2ohm load on the amp...)
Okay, I'm not trying to mess with you man, but I think you got it wrong or something. There is a 4ohm version and a 2ohm version, but since they are DVC's that means there are 2-4ohms coils on the 4ohm version and 2-2ohm coils on the 2ohm version. You can wire these subs in two different ways, parallel and series. If you wire the 4ohm version in parallel you get a 2ohm load and if you wire it in series you get a 8ohm load. Now onto the 2ohm version. In parallel, 1ohm load and in series 4ohm load.

I ran a few different amps on my 1 10" L7, and until I put my DX700 (900watts rms) I didnt get the full bump out of them...
Again I want to say something on your 900watts RMS figure. I have a DX700 and when I looked at the birth certificate (basically they test it to make sure it is working and give you the numbers they measure), I had a total output of 743watts @ 2ohms. Now, I'm not too sure how you got 900watts and if you are running a 1ohm load to get it, I would caution you on doing this. I just don't want you to start throwing around numbers that just aren't true. Okay, I apologize if I upset you. I just want clarification for anyone who might be thinking of purchasing Kicker equipment. Hey I love my stuff, it rocks the house, but I don't want people to pay for things they won't get. Ok, I'm done now.
Old 07-13-2001, 06:39 AM

Ooops

You are right about the ohms thing, sorry about that if I confused anyone...

As far as the DX700, the my birth certificate came in at 896watts... so I guess I actually did inflate that number by 4watts, sorry haha. Thats why they have birth certificates to show you what you actually get - they guarantee 700 (hence DX700)

That wasn't my point though, I ran a sony "1000watt" amp on the 1 10" and a kenwood "600watt" amp on the 1 10", and neither one sounded near as good as the dx700 which really puts out the power... the kenwood I think does about 100 -150 realistically, its a joke what you get on some of those other brand amps.
Old 07-13-2001, 09:08 AM

WOW dude, that's cool!! I guess you got a sweet little amp there, better than mine no doubt! That thing must be hella loud!! What do you think about this little setup??? 2 Kicker DX700's and 2 Kicker S12L7's. I want this baby to be a SPL machine, so I'm thinking ported of course. It should absolutely rock the house!!!
Old 07-17-2001, 09:45 PM

system idea

The 2 dx700's w/ 2 12" l7s in ported boxes would be MADDD loud, sounds like a awesome idea... now remember what kind of crap your gonna have to run to feed the DX's... I know w/ 1 DX700 I dim my headlights REAL bad if I run it, so I gotta get a CAP and battery (toasted my battery already)..

If anyone is interested in ordering anything, I am home now so let me know...
Old 07-18-2001, 11:10 AM

nahh two 1000a1 feeding each s12l7...now that $hit will bump
Old 07-20-2001, 02:58 PM

yes, kicker is a great company, yes kicker is very expensive, and yes the L7's are good.

But no, i wouldn't trade w6's for L7's.

I'd use a phd2 amp!!!

once again, what is it with JL Audio??
Old 06-13-2002, 02:25 AM

Hows this combination with solobaric 12" L7: Cadence Z9000 which puts out 800watts. OR, JBL 1200.1. They both are in my budget, which one do think will work with 12" L7??

any more questions?
Old 06-13-2002, 05:49 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

any more questions? [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually retail is $879 and dealer cost is lower than $449.