Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Dome light/black light

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2001, 10:12 PM

hey yo wassup........i wanted to know if any1 knows anything bout the wiring in the 5th gen dome light; i tried and still am trying to wire a 15" blacklight to the dome light so that i can use the dome light 'ON', 'OFF', and 'DOOR' settings to activate the dome light.....there are 2 wires that go into the dome light, one power one ground; there are also two wires from the domelight;...i cut open the covering around the power wire of the domelight and cut my blacklight power wire and connected em; after that i grounded the other blacklight wire and put the domelight assembly back together....then slight problems,..when i put the dome light switch on 'OFF', the blacklight turns on when the doors open, which is ok w/ me, but also at the same time, there is a faint amount of the domelight on for sum reason, also, the blacklight operates in accord w/ the keyless entry system; when i put it on 'Door' the dome light turns on when the doors open, which is not what i wanted; and when i put the dome light switch on 'On', the dome light turns on... in addition, when the switch is btwn 'On' and 'Door', the blacklight operates just as if the switch was placed on the 'OFF' setting......sum1 please help meeeeee, this problem is really P***ing me off
A_T_W
Old 07-08-2001, 10:19 PM

oh yea, did i mention that if i take out the dome light bulb the blacklight doesnt turn on under any condition? if i didnt, i did
A_T_W
Old 07-08-2001, 10:23 PM

Well i'll try to help, but I may need more to go on. First, you say there are two wires going to the dome, and two from it?? do you mean the switch? Also, the only wires going up to the light should both be positive. One is always hot (for the on position), and one is switched on by the doors or keyless. check if that is right, if so, you may figure out you are grounding to a non ground. Let me know
Old 07-08-2001, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by MaxedOut2g
oh yea, did i mention that if i take out the dome light bulb the blacklight doesnt turn on under any condition? if i didnt, i did
A_T_W
oh!

ok, then when the blacklight is on, the power is being fed through the dome bulb, which is why the dim glow (The blacklight uses considerably less power). What did you wire the blacklight to?? before or after the switch? also, where did you ground? To the chassis (roof), or to a wire from the domelight?
Old 07-09-2001, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by niceorange

oh!

ok, then when the blacklight is on, the power is being fed through the dome bulb, which is why the dim glow (The blacklight uses considerably less power). What did you wire the blacklight to?? before or after the switch? also, where did you ground? To the chassis (roof), or to a wire from the domelight?
ok, there are 2 wires fed into one thing [dunno what it is] and that 1 thing goes into the dome light assembly ... i wired one of the blacklight wires [call it BLW1] to one of the two wires going into the dome light assembly [call that wire DLW1]...i then grounded the other blacklight wire [BLW2] to a metal area in the dome light assembly....ive tried to hook the blacklight wire [BLW1] up to the other wire [DLW2] but the blacklight didnt turn on at all then...
A_T_W
Old 07-09-2001, 05:33 PM

perhaps the easiest thing to do would be to remove the domelight bulb, and attatch the blacklight leads directly across the two terminals. You wont have any regular light, but at least the blacklight will work the same way the dome light does now.
Old 07-09-2001, 05:47 PM

perhaps the easiest thing to do would be to remove the domelight bulb, and attatch the blacklight leads directly across the two terminals. You wont have any regular light, but at least the blacklight will work the same way the dome light does now.
would that work? and if it would, i need to know what the blacklight LEADS are and what two terminals? the ones that the dome light bulb attatch to? so basically take the two blacklight wires and put them on the ends where the dome light bulb went?
A_T_W
Old 07-09-2001, 09:31 PM

Exactly. Check polarities as well, the blacklight may or may not be sensitive to that.
Old 07-11-2001, 12:06 AM

yessssssss......dawg i owe u man......it worked beautifully; NOBODY in the 5th generation forum could help me; just when i had lost all hope w/ the blacklight...thanks again man
A_T_W
Old 07-11-2001, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by MaxedOut2g

yessssssss......dawg i owe u man......it worked beautifully; NOBODY in the 5th generation forum could help me; just when i had lost all hope w/ the blacklight...thanks again man
A_T_W
No prob Bro