Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

stealth system in 99 SE 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 06:20 AM

stealth system in 99 SE 5 speed

I wanna install a simple sub to go with my bose system, and dont want to lose alot of trunk space... I want a clean look, I keep thinking of the JL stealth system a friend has in his truck, and want to custom install something along thos ideas...

I have 3 JL 10w0's and plan on installing 2 of them...
I need to get an amp yet and all wires and build the boxes...

anybody do anything like this...

I want it light..
I want it inconspicuous..
I want to be able to fit my golf clubs into my trunk still..

just looking for suggestions/Ideas for now...

Thanks Guys
Old 05-10-2007, 08:42 AM

Run them IB off the rear deck, just make some baffles for the deck and do a little cutting. Seal off the trunk completely from the cabin and enjoy...wont be extremely loud but they will sound very good and you dont need a ton of power for them...

Of course you would have to sacrifice your rear speakers...

Another option, if your handy with fiberglass, is to take your spare tire out and use the entire well as the enclosure....after market car audio is all about sacrifices...
Old 05-10-2007, 10:58 AM

dont like either option...

I am thinking about making 2 custom boxes to fit in the back of the trunk between the wheel wells against the back of the seat, and mounting the amp under the rear deck between them, that way I still have my spare, and can still use the flip down arm rest to make it louder if I want... The plan is to make it almost unnoticed when you open the trunk! and not waste the whole trunk with a huge box and amp rack... I just want a little bump to round out my system, or when I want to crank up a good metal CD, and drive fast...

I am also a little confused how the ohm rating comes into play with regards to amplifier wattages...

these are the subs I have...
JL10W0 - not shure which ones off hand, but will find out...
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/10_12_15W0_MAN.pdf

I have not been into car audio in almost 10 years, and alot has changed...

I want an amp with a DB gain control module as well, and I know Rockford, Kicker, and JL all have this option, and I would love to install a complete JL system $ permitting...

I have no idea which amp would be best rated for these subs...

once I pick an amp I also need to figure out what guage wires, and fuses I need, and have to figure out how to hook it up to the bose system (I am sure I can find the write-up on that)...

Thanks guys
Old 05-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the best thing to do would be to get a JL Stealth box and sub. Doesn't take up much space, it need a small amp, and it hit's pretty good. But other than that, I cant think of anything that would be inconspicuous.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:19 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by D-Twelve
dont like either option...
Those are THE best options for what you want.

I am thinking about making 2 custom boxes to fit in the back of the trunk between the wheel wells against the back of the seat, and mounting the amp under the rear deck between them, that way I still have my spare, and can still use the flip down arm rest to make it louder if I want... The plan is to make it almost unnoticed when you open the trunk! and not waste the whole trunk with a huge box and amp rack... I just want a little bump to round out my system, or when I want to crank up a good metal CD, and drive fast...

How would that be light and unnoticed? Also several amps will not like that location due to thermal issues.

I am also a little confused how the ohm rating comes into play with regards to amplifier wattages...
What impedance are your subs?

these are the subs I have...
JL10W0 - not shure which ones off hand, but will find out...
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/10_12_15W0_MAN.pdf
Just take a look at em.

I have not been into car audio in almost 10 years, and alot has changed...
So you were 'into' it at age 16?

I want an amp with a DB gain control module as well, and I know Rockford, Kicker, and JL all have this option, and I would love to install a complete JL system $ permitting...
A DB gain control module? Care to share some more info about this? Or are you just referring to a remote gain ****?

All JL? ....WHY?

I have no idea which amp would be best rated for these subs...
The one that fits your budget, give adequate power and matches your impedance.

once I pick an amp I also need to figure out what guage wires, and fuses I need, and have to figure out how to hook it up to the bose system (I am sure I can find the write-up on that)...
Pick an amp, then we can help. Get the amp and then search, theres Plenty of info on that topic.

Thanks guys

Your welcome.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:22 PM

yeah I used to help install systems for my friends and my own cars... I built boxes, customized instalations, plexiglass work, with the help of a friend who worked at a car audio shop (he basically just picked out what to get and I installed it)

I dont have half the equipment I had when I worked at the cabinet shop though so this will be a little more dificult...

When I said light, I just ment that I did not want some 300lb monster system taking up my whole trunk, just a little extra for my bose setup...

as far as inconspicuous it does not have to be invisible, I just want it to look like it is supposed to be there, not an add-on. It can show...

Thermal Issues? thats over my knowledge level ?!? just thought it would be out of the way... was thinking upside down or I could make a drawer that slides out with it maybe...

DB control... Yes remote gain...

The reson for all JL is that I loved my JL subs that I had as a kid, and though a full JL system would be a cleaner look than a mismash system...

The subs are currently at my parents house in massachusetts and I am in PA, I have to get the box next time I go up, so I cant look for a little while...

I have some cash to put into this, but I dont want to get caried away, and I figure the Amp is going to be my biggest investment, so I though I would spend a little extra to get one that is good quality, and is as big as my subs can handle...

at this point I am just brainstorming, and figuring out what I want to buy, so I can take my time buying this equipment and hopefully find a good deal or two... I will most likely get my subs in july...
Old 05-10-2007, 05:48 PM

If your going to be listening to mostly metal anyways, you should focus on the front stage of your car instead of the sub setup...deaden your doors and invest in some quality components and an amp to power them...Or add 8s to your doors

Much better option for those double kicks! The sub(s) would just be there to take care of everything below ~50hz...

BTW you dont want to mount the amps upside down, as heat is circulated from the top/sides of the amp and floats upwards. if you really want stealth, find some small, thin amps to put under your seats like i did. Theres enough height in there for small amps...mine still run fairly cool...
Old 05-10-2007, 06:12 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

You also want to stay as far away from remote bass boost's and controls. You're only going to introduce distortion into your subs signal.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:22 AM

I like the way my bose system sounds now, and i usually just listen to the radio, but I want to be able to turn up the bass every once and a while, so I want an option to turn it down...

I listen to modern rock & Classic Rock often / metal on occasion

Like I said I am happy with the bose sound, I just think I need a little more bump...

That may change once I put in the subs, but for now, I think Ill start there...
Old 05-11-2007, 07:27 AM
Disco Biscuit

Stealthbox. had one in my Max for 7 years, and I never looked back. GREAT sound, takes up no space, and you cant even tell its there unless you know the Maxima trunk. PLus you can just get it stolen, becuase you bolt it in from under the car.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:39 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Just use your bass control on the HU.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:34 AM

got any pics of the stealth box?
Old 05-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?p=5372284

I have a stealthbox in mine and I love it.