Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Im bored, and its dead. Opinions please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 12:40 PM

Im bored, and its dead. Opinions please.

So my mom drives a Black 2000 SE 5 spd, in MINT condition, probably the best condition 2000 out of anyone on this forum. But she needs a new car, mainly for a better image to colleages, as most of them are rich wives driving bmw's, benz's, lexus's, etc, and she is now their boss driving a 6 yr old 5th gen. Without getting into it...image matters for her job.

With the amount that her cars get babied, shes probably going to buy new. My dad used to have a 1990 BMW 525i that we had for 12 years, and my mom has always liked bimmers. Shes debating whether to stay manual or go with an auto, seeing as how she has somewhat of a bad back. Will probably stay with sedan. So Im trying to think of some options:

--Im not a benz fan.
--Infiniti G, manual or auto (Anyone driven the new one? How stiff is the clutch?)
--BMW 3 series sedan, auto. No way Im letting my mom do legpresses with her bad back as compared to her 5th gen clutch.
--Lexus IS250, manual or auto. I sat in one at an auto show but havent ridden in it. Opinions anyone?

Whose got some opinions or more suggestions.
The Japanese based ones will probably be better choices in the long run, since she plans on keeping the car a while, but we used to have a very good local BMW mechanic for my dads old 5 series, so who knows.

P.S. Yes this thread is off topic. But I cant stand the douchebaggery of any other forum on the org, and the people in here are the only opinions that matter.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:44 PM

IS250...looks classy and its reliable. Get the 00 from your mom...that car was in great condition when I saw it.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:51 PM

Id hafta pay the trade-in value difference to have her trade mine in instead of hers. Shes going to get much more on a trade in or sale for hers.

Hers: SE, 7x,xxx miles, Bose, leather, spoiler, sunroof/moonroof, power seats, garage kept.
Mine: GXE, 103,xxx miles, non-Bose, cloth, no spoiler, no sunroof/moonroof, manual seats, outside kept, needs very small body work on LF fender.

The IS250 5spd starts at $30,970 for a base model with no options, and $32,140 for a base model automatic. Very reasonable, even after adding whatever options shed get, seeing as how I dont think she'll get the DVD Nav and bluetooth and all that crap.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:35 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Honestly based on your first paragraph, I wouldnt recommend Any of them. They are all quite small on the interior. She wants something luxorious but not cramped. The IS250/350 is a sardine can. The G a bit better, but still lacking in space overall. 3 series falls right in with the IS.

If she wants something with prestige and comfort she may have to look higher up the scale.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:44 PM
tastey wheat

Originally Posted by kpr10is
...and the people in here are the only opinions that matter.
how touching

Id honestly go with one of the Lexus' or G's. Stay in the japanese family, i feel like they're more reliable than the German made cars.. Lexus always has very highly rated interior quality as well. Not to mention, when something breaks on the BMW, you'll pay and arm and a leg, vs just an arm for the lex/infinity...
Old 05-22-2007, 02:46 PM

Id also stay within them, but another model up or settle for the Nissan/Toyota lower priced versions...
Old 05-22-2007, 03:06 PM

So she should get an Odyssey...
Old 05-22-2007, 03:29 PM

Thatll work
Old 05-22-2007, 06:26 PM

90% of the time itll be her in the car by herself. I did think a 3 series would be a little small. I think the IS would be small but do-able. The G is still lacking space for your family of 4, but shes an empty nester now that Im out, I think it could work.

I like the brand new camry, but if the car needs to hold a status on its own with her job, a camry would have the same problem as a maxima IMO. And nothing else in the toyota or nissan lineup is worth a second look if you ask me.

Nobody has any other recommendations other than Lex or Infiniti?
Old 05-22-2007, 06:28 PM

Its probably going to stay Japanese...which only leaves Acura.

A new TSX or TL might work depending on the interior space in either as well. Both come in manual and auto. Anyone got anything to say bout those?
Old 05-22-2007, 06:30 PM
tastey wheat

are nissan/infinity toyota/lexus not jap cars as well?
Old 05-22-2007, 06:35 PM

I meant only leaves Acura in regards to my post right before that, asking if theres anything else besides Lex or Infiniti. My bad.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:37 PM

90% of the time itll be her in the car by herself. I did think a 3 series would be a little small. I think the IS would be small but do-able. The G is still lacking space for your family of 4, but shes an empty nester now that Im out, I think it could work.

I like the brand new camry, but if the car needs to hold a status on its own with her job, a camry would have the same problem as a maxima IMO. And nothing else in the toyota or nissan lineup is worth a second look if you ask me.

Nobody has any other recommendations other than Lex or Infiniti?

No go on an Avalon with an auto? Very sweet ride IMO. Also I wouldnt dismiss the Camry as a 'same problem as the Maxima'. Personally I like it better, but your also comparing a 6 yr old car to a brand new one..
Old 05-22-2007, 06:37 PM

...and the HIDs on a TL or TSX ftw.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:38 PM

TLs are very nice in their own right and priced well to go. I just couldnt swallow the wheel hop/torgue steer issues they would have compared to the RWD of the G.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:43 PM

What about an RL? They have deep discounts on them and they are a bigger car slightly than the G. I talked my mom into one until she found out she could afford a Lexus.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:44 PM

The main reason my mom is looking is that the COO of her company told her that in the image-based industry shes in, she might want to think about a car that portrays a better image. It was said in a nice and unassuming way, but necessary with her business. And she sees the Benz's/BMW's/Lexus's/few Infiniti's of coworkers which have their own images.

I guess my reasoning is as follows. I consider the max one of the better sedans out of the nissan/toyota/etc lineup, and yet, ride in any new luxury car like their higher end counterparts, and you realize that a maxima will always be a maxima. So I guess my opinion somewhat carries over that a camry will always be a camry. No matter how much deadening I add or what mods I do, they just arent as nice as their big brothers. So I dont think the smaller brothers are going to fit the image bill thats needed. Nothing against the cars themselves.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:47 PM

Its probably going to come down to those 3 main Japanese luxury lineups. Lexus, Infiniti, Acura.

I went with my mom test driving the max when she bought it new too. It really comes down to driving all of them in the same day. Doing them back to back makes the differences between them much larger, and made the choice very easy last time when choosing the max over the other contenders.

For some reason I doubt my mom will have the same wheel hop/torque steer issues you have. Shes a mom, and she drives like one.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:49 PM

The main reason my mom is looking is that the COO of her company told her that in the image-based industry shes in, she might want to think about a car that portrays a better image. It was said in a nice and unassuming way, but necessary with her business. And she sees the Benz's/BMW's/Lexus's/few Infiniti's of coworkers which have their own images.

I guess my reasoning is as follows. I consider the max one of the better sedans out of the nissan/toyota/etc lineup, and yet, ride in any new luxury car like their higher end counterparts, and you realize that a maxima will always be a maxima. So I guess my opinion somewhat carries over that a camry will always be a camry. No matter how much deadening I add or what mods I do, they just arent as nice as their big brothers. So I dont think the smaller brothers are going to fit the image bill thats needed. Nothing against the cars themselves.
While I understand the point that they are trying to portray, it really is only coming down to a name. I dont feel like I have anything better than a 6th gen Maxima. Different emblems and a few perks, but otherwise my car is really no better making me no more special than the next guy. Sure its a 'prestigious' name, but truth be told its nothing more..
Old 05-22-2007, 06:50 PM

Its probably going to come down to those 3 main Japanese luxury lineups. Lexus, Infiniti, Acura.

I went with my mom test driving the max when she bought it new too. It really comes down to driving all of them in the same day. Doing them back to back makes the differences between them much larger, and made the choice very easy last time when choosing the max over the other contenders.

For some reason I doubt my mom will have the same wheel hop/torque steer issues you have. Shes a mom, and she drives like one.
Ahhh *** it, just have her buy my car. Much cheaper than new and will still have the majority of the warranty.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Droppin logs

Nobody said M45?
Old 05-22-2007, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
While I understand the point that they are trying to portray, it really is only coming down to a name. I dont feel like I have anything better than a 6th gen Maxima. Different emblems and a few perks, but otherwise my car is really no better making me no more special than the next guy. Sure its a 'prestigious' name, but truth be told its nothing more..

The deadening, the less rattles, the nicer ride, the solid feel, the creature comforts, the prestigious name.

Do they make you more special? Not really. But the big brothers do portray a better image, and when the time comes when my mom needs to drive a colleague, albeit few and far between, as their boss she needs the status element.

Maybe this will help:
Shes in the fashion industry. Very high end womens clothing, more expensive than Neiman Marcus or any of those higher end stores. Only sold out of rich womens houses all across the country, who have 4 shows a year previewing the lineup for each season. Theyre all rich, and blow tons of money on these ridiculously expensive clothes. Husbands usually worth gobs and gobs of money. And theyre all driving status-oriented cars, whether it makes them special or not. And shes their boss. The status car is needed.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:59 PM

^That being said. Im just going to say it flat out. Nissan and Toyota are out of the question.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:01 PM

If I didnt think she was going to just buy new, Id definitely have her buy your car. Her cars are kept mint. Youre probably the only person (while itd be a close race) who babies them more than she does. But for that reason I think she wants to just buy new and keep it for a long time.

D-Bo, if she does go for something of that size, itd definitely be the M35. Her driving + gas prices these days = the 45 would be a complete waste.
Thank you though for actually suggesting something. So far Im the only one who has brought up every car in this thread, which was not the point.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by D-Bo
Nobody said M45?
Out of price range new...M35 is closer though.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:08 PM

^That being said. Im just going to say it flat out. Nissan and Toyota are out of the question.

I suppose I would have to agree then, but at the same time the flip side is that the entry level big brothers also really wouldnt suffice.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:08 PM

If I didnt think she was going to just buy new, Id definitely have her buy your car. Her cars are kept mint. Youre probably the only person (while itd be a close race) who babies them more than she does. But for that reason I think she wants to just buy new and keep it for a long time.

D-Bo, if she does go for something of that size, itd definitely be the M35. Her driving + gas prices these days = the 45 would be a complete waste.
Thank you though for actually suggesting something. So far Im the only one who has brought up every car in this thread, which was not the point.

Well poop on her than !

Old 05-22-2007, 07:09 PM

So far Im the only one who has brought up every car in this thread, which was not the point.

Im trying to help you think for yourself.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:12 PM

I suppose I would have to agree then, but at the same time the flip side is that the entry level big brothers also really wouldnt suffice.
As far as size?

I dont picture her going any bigger than a G/TL/Lexus GS. Im not sure how the TL compares to the G, or the Lexus GS. It will probably be a very quick decision on size, as soon as we sit in it, whether the IS/TSX size class is too small, in which case its probably going to be those other three in the running assuming theyre close in size.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:24 PM

Not for size, but for status. From the sounds of it she really needs something that stands out and screams money. The TL/G and yes possibly even the GS just dont do that. Id say something more along the lines of a 5 series or E class.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:26 PM

how about a Passat? They look ok and are a decent size.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:28 PM

Nice car, but I think hes leaning more towards the japanese made vehicles due to price and longevity.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:36 PM

Not for size, but for status. From the sounds of it she really needs something that stands out and screams money. The TL/G and yes possibly even the GS just dont do that. Id say something more along the lines of a 5 series or E class.
The money isnt in her wallet to do any screaming, so a compromise between the two will have to do.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:37 PM

eh just convince her to buy very well maintained used .. mine !
Old 05-22-2007, 08:07 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

fx45/m45 x5
Old 05-22-2007, 08:09 PM

your useless

:read:

Old 05-22-2007, 11:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Has she looked at the suv like the X3,X5,FX35, RDX or MDX?
Old 05-22-2007, 11:04 PM

Kevin told me that good MPG is required...that rules out SUV's.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How about the Hybrid Lexus RX?

Originally Posted by slickrick
Kevin told me that good MPG is required...that rules out SUV's.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:08 AM
tastey wheat

i still vote the G, IS250/350, or Ac TL (lots of car for the money).

the lexus seems like its got the 'classiest' image to me out of those three...

did she ever consider a caddy? maybe an STS? too $$?

edit: nvm, those are prolly gas hogs.

Quick Reply: Im bored, and its dead. Opinions please.