Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

New front speakers.. what is involved?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2001, 07:14 AM
I aim to misbehave.

Hi again.. I may be purchasing a pair of JBL Power component speakers for cheap in the near future. I am totally inexperienced in car audio installations and I am wondering what it's going to take to upgrade the front speakers. I already have an aftermarket HU (Blaupunkt Alaska). Do I need to do any rewiring or anything? What's the deal with crossovers and such? Please educate me! I am eager to learn, tell me everything!

Thanks!

Speebs
Old 07-17-2001, 08:23 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally posted by Speebs
Hi again.. I may be purchasing a pair of JBL Power component speakers for cheap in the near future. I am totally inexperienced in car audio installations and I am wondering what it's going to take to upgrade the front speakers. I already have an aftermarket HU (Blaupunkt Alaska). Do I need to do any rewiring or anything? What's the deal with crossovers and such? Please educate me! I am eager to learn, tell me everything!

Thanks!

Speebs

not if i buy the component set first!!!!!!!!heheheheh
Old 07-17-2001, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by Speebs

Thanks!

Speebs
A Component speaker set usually comes with a set of passive crossovers so you won't have to worry about that. To install your speakers, you can either use the factory wires or run new speaker wires. If you're installing an amp, you'd probably be better off running new speaker wires although it's not necessary.
I don't remember if the 95 Max has factory tweeter locations... if not, you're gonna have to find a place for them either in the door panel or you can look into kick panels...
In all, replacing speakers is fairly easy, although the tweeter install will take a lot more time.

good luck
Old 07-20-2001, 08:24 PM

I'm also looking for new front door speakers for my '99 max. I'm going to be running the front two speakers on an external amp that I'm currently using for my JL 12W0. I'm looking to spend around $80-$120 for the front speakers. What company makes the best speakers for the amount of money I'm willing to spend?
Old 07-20-2001, 08:57 PM
Disco Biscuit

For that price I would concider a good used set or check www.soundcity.com They have an outlet site, where you can get closeouts pretty well priced....
Old 07-21-2001, 09:19 AM

components for cheap!!! where?

Speebs since i still have them hooked up in my car i'll tell you how i did it. the shape of the flush mount for the tweeter is almost the perfect shape and size of the tweeter hole in the door. i did have to use a knife and widened the hole a bit to fit it in the door. i put some double-sided 3M tape on the back of the crossover and stuck it to the back of the door. having the crossover in the door is good b/c you can have all the wiring within and don't have to worry about running wires out of the door( which is a PITA)

the crossover has an input terminal for the original speaker line, and then a set of output terminals for both the midbass driver and the tweeter. its straightforward, just make sure to match + with + and.....

almost any component speaker needs an amp to sound its best.
Old 07-23-2001, 06:17 AM

Re: components for cheap!!! where?

Check out www.speedsound.com and look at the pioneer compression horn tweeter speakers. ALthough coaxial, they have a built in crossover so to speak to eliminate lows from goin to the tweets. Crutchfield sells them for like 160, I got them for I think 90.

Originally posted by seven
Speebs since i still have them hooked up in my car i'll tell you how i did it. the shape of the flush mount for the tweeter is almost the perfect shape and size of the tweeter hole in the door. i did have to use a knife and widened the hole a bit to fit it in the door. i put some double-sided 3M tape on the back of the crossover and stuck it to the back of the door. having the crossover in the door is good b/c you can have all the wiring within and don't have to worry about running wires out of the door( which is a PITA)

the crossover has an input terminal for the original speaker line, and then a set of output terminals for both the midbass driver and the tweeter. its straightforward, just make sure to match + with + and.....

almost any component speaker needs an amp to sound its best.