Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Interesting comments about capacitors

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Interesting comments about capacitors

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/car-...-better-7.html

Check out the posts by "CarAudioGuru" - he is a distributor for Audison apparently. Makes for interesting reading if you can ignore most of the other idiots who post in the thread.

Quote -
TurboCad6 -stiffening caps should ALWAYS be used, but on the WHOLE system NOT the bass amp. Caps are just BIG AC filters (hook up a dual trace scope -all REAL car audio retailers have them (yeah right!!) Look at the DC in (looks like a moving semi flat line) and then notice the AC components on top of the DC. Huge spikes above and below the DC. This is AC ripple. Check in front of the cap, then after the cap. At least 20 dB ripple reduction! This is what caps really do! Filter out AC Ripple! Makes ALL audiophile car audio systems sound better as the DC is filtered. And anything over 2 Farads is a total waste of time. RF proved that years ago. As well as Alma Gates. Her Bronco(way back in the PPI days) had something like 40 capacitors. Did you know that after running the Bronco for weeks with caps, they disconnected them because the vehicle played LOUDER without the caps connected??? Interesting,Huh!!! Again...take all of this will a grain of salt. Test Test test. Prove it to yourself. Caps are a REALLY good thing and should be in EVERY system out there. My opinion. Asta
Old 07-02-2007, 04:53 PM

Until I see SQ competitors using em(and winning)...I have no real basis to even consider this idea.