Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

JL goes to the web...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 12:55 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Cuz their over-priced, and at their price point there are tons of other better products.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by filtor1
Wow, a Flatline failed? That sucks. I wonder what the failure rate is one them. I would assume relatively low.

yea it kinda sucked cause its not under warrenty now, but don't get me wrong, it had unparalleled sound quality and was loud as hell
Old 08-15-2007, 05:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I remember how some of the local shops had this whole elitist attitude when it came to JL products. I would usually ask them what makes them so much better...most of the time the response was "because they are JL Audio".

I am running one of their subs...I was curious, and I got a really good deal on it. I ended up liking it, but I would never pay what they are asking for it. There are other subs in that price range that I would go after instead.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:34 PM

what happened to your RLp Juan?
Old 08-15-2007, 05:43 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

He's selling it: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252724
Old 08-15-2007, 08:47 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by 1996blackmax
I remember how some of the local shops had this whole elitist attitude when it came to JL products. I would usually ask them what makes them so much better...most of the time the response was "because they are JL Audio".

I am running one of their subs...I was curious, and I got a really good deal on it. I ended up liking it, but I would never pay what they are asking for it. There are other subs in that price range that I would go after instead.

Thats like the sales pitch from the local rep here .. "How can I interest you in JL?" "Why would I want it?" "Well, because its JL. Why wouldnt you?" Buahahaha Ill leave me response to that out.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
what happened to your RLp Juan?
Parag hit the nail on the head.

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Thats like the sales pitch from the local rep here .. "How can I interest you in JL?" "Why would I want it?" "Well, because its JL. Why wouldnt you?" Buahahaha Ill leave me response to that out.
I would have liked to been there to see and hear the reps reaction.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:53 PM
Droppin logs

I can't say this is surprising, this does suit those elitist *******s I met pushing JL Audio in the past.

:stilllovesogw6sthough:
Old 08-16-2007, 06:57 AM
Disco Biscuit

Ummm negative. JLs warranty policy always sucked anyway. Even if you buy it over the counter from a dealer its 90 days. This is unless of course you pay them to install it to..
Yeah. I dropped good money on a Stealthbox bought from a JL dealer. 9 months later the surround literally fell apart, and they said 'Sorry. its out of warranty. But we can sell you a replacement sub for $150"
I loaded it with a 10' Titanic from Parts Express and never looked back........
Old 08-16-2007, 09:59 AM

I've learned one thing on the org...if you dont usually like what Don likes...it automatically sucks :P

yes everyone on here hates JL but JL doesn't suck, not by a long shot. JL DEFINITELY wouldn't go bankrupt if they didn't go online, i know this for a fact since I myself am in the car audio business.

and before you go bashing me telling me i probably haven't listened to the stuff you guys have, i bought TWO sets of the rainbow soundlines component sets for my fronts and rears last year when you guys had that GD going on and honestly i didn't really see what the big hype was about them. I promptly switched them out for 2 sets of Infinity's Kappa Perfect 6.1's which were a much better component set.

ok back to your reguarly scheduled bash of JL =P
Old 08-16-2007, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by prince_starbai
I've learned one thing on the org...if you dont usually like what Don likes...it automatically sucks :P

yes everyone on here hates JL but JL doesn't suck, not by a long shot. JL DEFINITELY wouldn't go bankrupt if they didn't go online, i know this for a fact since I myself am in the car audio business.

and before you go bashing me telling me i probably haven't listened to the stuff you guys have, i bought TWO sets of the rainbow soundlines component sets for my fronts and rears last year when you guys had that GD going on and honestly i didn't really see what the big hype was about them. I promptly switched them out for 2 sets of Infinity's Kappa Perfect 6.1's which were a much better component set.

I think you may have your facts a bit confused. Since JL lost their three top dealers they are in a heap of financial issues. Just with the loss of Tweeter itself put them there. Give Manville a call and ask if you still feel your 'facts' are that solid.

Whos bashing? I simply stated theyre a decent Mainstream company and better can be found at a more reasonable price. Youll find the general responses to be the same.

Hey if you like Kappas ... more power to you. But your referring to One line, from One brand. Have you auditioned Hertz? Dynaudio? Morel? Alumapro? Critical Mass? SEAS? DLS? Brax? Etc...
Old 08-16-2007, 10:16 AM

Components FRONT AND REAR?

The infiniti Kappa Perfect's make your EAR BLEED with how BRIGHT they are.........YES i've owed a set. YES i've heard the soundlines and a bunch of other component sets
Old 08-16-2007, 10:22 AM

ah don, wasn't specifically referring to you when it came to the bashing of JL... look at the rest of the posts in here to see what i mean =)

yes you are right in the sense i haven't heard some of the others you have mentioned, but i'm also assuming their price point is much higher too :P

back to JL, yes they are fairly expensive but if you look around you can find them at decent prices... because they are expensive doesn't mean they "suck".

burnurass, yes you are correct if you have them set at 0 or +4DB... at -3DB, they are "perfect"

to each their own though.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:27 AM

btw don, saying in your previous post that JL is a decent mainstream company, and then on the first page saying JL = just lousy seem to contradict themselves :P
Old 08-16-2007, 10:56 AM

thank god someone else here thinks that the rainbow comps aren't so special...
Old 08-16-2007, 11:02 AM

btw don, saying in your previous post that JL is a decent mainstream company, and then on the first page saying JL = just lousy seem to contradict themselves :P

For the price ... Ill stick with Just Lousy. Overall theyre decent mainstream products, just overpriced.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by adampit
nice amp you got... (RF T20001BD).. i have the same one :P lol
Old 08-16-2007, 12:04 PM
PGMFI

I love all the JL subs. I have probably had more than 20 of them over the years and never had one blow or fail.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by adampit

Which ones are you referring to?
Old 08-16-2007, 12:23 PM
tastey wheat

Originally Posted by 1996blackmax
Which ones are you referring to?
pretty sure hes referencing the SLCs.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:24 PM

yes everyone on here hates JL but JL doesn't suck, not by a long shot.
wrong...... I have a 12W6 and am quite happy with it.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:40 PM

ok out of 3 pages you're one of the few =)... read the rest of the posts in this thread lol.

i'm glad you like them though =)
Old 08-16-2007, 02:51 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Alot of us have had experience with them as well, and for the money, I don't see how they can compete with anything from dls/rainbow/arc etc etc when it comes to price to performance.

JL makes good products, their marketing is what drives their prices so high. I just can't say that I would purchase their products at the prices they are at.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:58 PM

ok out of 3 pages you're one of the few =)... read the rest of the posts in this thread lol.

i'm glad you like them though =)

I have read them....

I don't think most people actually think they make bad products. Having a crappy warranty, and prices that I also think are a bit high are some issues. While not really within their control, the whole snobby attitude from the dealers when it comes to their product line does not help. The W6 is a nice sub, I just would not pay what they are asking for it.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:24 AM

+1 that JL makes some great products. Some of it is overpriced; thankfully there are lesser known brands that equal or surpass them in performance. I've been out of the car audio loop for so long I have no idea who the current players are, though. It's one thing to say that JL is too expensive, but to say that their products are crap is silly.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by quickcanary
+1 that JL makes some great products. Some of it is overpriced; thankfully there are lesser known brands that equal or surpass them in performance. I've been out of the car audio loop for so long I have no idea who the current players are, though. It's one thing to say that JL is too expensive, but to say that their products are crap is silly.

Maybe crap is a strong word. But the wh0red out name leaves it with alot to be desired. Theres absolutely nothing extraordinary about their products to deserve all the hype they receive. Like I told Manville afew years back at CES .. if they invested half as much effort into their products as they do into marketing, then they would really be on to something. Good marketing on their part? No, EXCELLENT marketing from them.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:52 AM

What about the w7 SUB, it redefined what subs are supposed to do!
I use JL audio Amps and Subs, not a big fan of the components, but when I worked at tweeter we sold that line more than any other line and we had minimal problems. I know Jl isnt the best but, they are pretty good. Yes they are expensive but they also have to maintain a huge overhead and loss of their top retailer, I.E. tweeter, who hasnt paid them in more than 11 months
So what will you do to generate income, go to a reputable online company or ***** yourself out to Best Buy! I would go to Crutchfield who probably sells more car audio than any other online company! Also what defines a good speaker? Or Car Audio COmpany? Is it because Don Sells it, it is good or is it because it has the ability to make a name for itself in the market better than other brands! I love my Amps and i love my sub, but we really need to look at what determines a Car audio Company to be bad!
Old 08-21-2007, 12:03 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

The W7 didn't re-define anything. It's not winning any competitions like some other companies super woofers are. If anyone re-defined the sub how about the SPL subs from Premier, or Digital Designs, or the XXX, hell what about the PG Cyclone?
Old 08-21-2007, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by JPIZZLE
What about the w7 SUB, it redefined what subs are supposed to do!
I use JL audio Amps and Subs, not a big fan of the components, but when I worked at tweeter we sold that line more than any other line and we had minimal problems. I know Jl isnt the best but, they are pretty good. Yes they are expensive but they also have to maintain a huge overhead and loss of their top retailer, I.E. tweeter, who hasnt paid them in more than 11 months
So what will you do to generate income, go to a reputable online company or ***** yourself out to Best Buy! I would go to Crutchfield who probably sells more car audio than any other online company! Also what defines a good speaker? Or Car Audio COmpany? Is it because Don Sells it, it is good or is it because it has the ability to make a name for itself in the market better than other brands! I love my Amps and i love my sub, but we really need to look at what determines a Car audio Company to be bad!

It redefined what exactly? PLEASE share this breakthrough in modern technology so we could all be in awe.

Not saying Crutchfield is bad or good, but they could have done in house promoting to maintain pricing. Crutchfield whether others want to believe or not DOES hurt the independants from time to time. Its not all That expensive to have a couple more guys run the internet division.

You sold alot of it? Well of course you did, its the most mass marketed product in the industry. The name is selling primarily, Not the product.

Did you ever think perhaps Don sells it because it IS good? I research hard and long before bringing on another manufacturer, I dont make them good, theyre that way and that is what makes me choose them. Whatever you have against me, you seriously need to get over.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:27 PM

I concur. The JL Audio line is totally over priced, their warranty sucks hot cow biscuits, and the CS department is worse than DELL's.... I'll admit some of their products are mediocre, but not worth Ben Kruise's money... Good Luck to JL!!!
Old 08-21-2007, 12:31 PM

It redefined what exactly? PLEASE share this breakthrough in modern technology so we could all be in awe.

Not saying Crutchfield is bad or good, but they could have done in house promoting to maintain pricing. Crutchfield whether others want to believe or not DOES hurt the independants from time to time. Its not all That expensive to have a couple more guys run the internet division.

You sold alot of it? Well of course you did, its the most mass marketed product in the industry. The name is selling primarily, Not the product.

Did you ever think perhaps Don sells it because it IS good? I research hard and long before bringing on another manufacturer, I dont make them good, theyre that way and that is what makes me choose them. Whatever you have against me, you seriously need to get over.
So when can I pick up some Audiobahn subs from you??? I heard they sell like mad.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:19 PM

What competitions are you speaking of Iasca, DB DRag, ... ! Most People dont shell out 1000 for a sub to compete in. I competed in DB drag and I know the w7 were fierce and I know they really dont have any competition for one sub in the same class seeing they are 13.5inches and compete against single twelves ! You speak of all the reat brands out there and you here of them winning competitions but no one ever says who wants to try these against the w7! I like the PG and Diamonds, but you cant say they are any better than the w7. Also they w7 can be used in SQ. My two cents
Old 08-21-2007, 01:30 PM

orgers can verify my 15" avalanche was as loud and cleaner than a 13.5" w7 on half the power...both subs in maximas too. W7 is a good sub, but its not the Bugatti of car audio...more like an Aston Martin.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:41 PM

that is exactly what I wanted to hear, that it is not junk by any means. keep in mind though your 15 inch has more surface area so it should play louder and my be a little more efficient, but who cares
Old 08-21-2007, 02:05 PM

I think it is almost time for a poll to see how happy people are with there jl audio
and if they would by jl audio products again.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:15 PM

that is what i am talking about
Old 08-21-2007, 02:57 PM

JL ftw amirite?
Old 08-21-2007, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by slickrick
So when can I pick up some Audiobahn subs from you??? I heard they sell like mad.
nevAr !!
Old 08-21-2007, 03:25 PM

What competitions are you speaking of Iasca, DB DRag, ... ! Most People dont shell out 1000 for a sub to compete in. I competed in DB drag and I know the w7 were fierce and I know they really dont have any competition for one sub in the same class seeing they are 13.5inches and compete against single twelves ! You speak of all the reat brands out there and you here of them winning competitions but no one ever says who wants to try these against the w7! I like the PG and Diamonds, but you cant say they are any better than the w7. Also they w7 can be used in SQ. My two cents

Any competition, who are these most people? I have several that are spending that PER amp and PER components. Subs, HU,wiring,etc .. SEVERAL thousands of doallrs. I honestly dont know ANY 'budget' competitors.

So your comparing a 13.5 Vs a 12? If your gonna compare lets use apples on both ends, k? Ill gladly put a Cmass UL12 against that 13.5 any day of the week though.

Ive heard as well as installed the w7 and I would prefer alot of other drivers. And since we are so set of w7s redefining, why not call their original maker over at ID? IF and thats a BIG IF the w7 redefined anything at least give the credit where it is due..
Old 08-21-2007, 03:27 PM

that is exactly what I wanted to hear, that it is not junk by any means. keep in mind though your 15 inch has more surface area so it should play louder and my be a little more efficient, but who cares

Where did I say it was junk? Efficenciency is determined by cone size now? Interesting...

Quick Reply: JL goes to the web...