Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Who has a computer in their car??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2001, 07:06 AM

I've looked back SO many pages, tried searching, and cant find it now. i read someone's post a while back about their computer in the trunk, made it start up differently, its down to 55 seconds from start to music... i have an older pentium MMX i just want to take out of the case, and try to mount it in the trunk for Mp3's and maybe a few games. also, how would i use a mouse?? what are my options?? i dont want to go nuts with a touch screen, i wish... and what size fits in the BOSE space?? 5.6"?? thanks guys
Old 07-21-2001, 12:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by JeepRage
I've looked back SO many pages, tried searching, and cant find it now. i read someone's post a while back about their computer in the trunk, made it start up differently, its down to 55 seconds from start to music... i have an older pentium MMX i just want to take out of the case, and try to mount it in the trunk for Mp3's and maybe a few games. also, how would i use a mouse?? what are my options?? i dont want to go nuts with a touch screen, i wish... and what size fits in the BOSE space?? 5.6"?? thanks guys
Yeh I did the whole thing. Pentium3, 60 gigs, computer, in-dash screen, dvd, navigation, wireless high-speed internet, etc.

It was really cool for about a month. Then I had a fit and ripped it all out, designed a really nice high end audio system and that's being installed as I speak (see thread "Mainei30 surgery" in the Audio forum
Old 07-21-2001, 01:40 PM

ok, so why did you rip it all out?? wouldnt you want the DVD and GPS that your new system wont offer?? why go through all that just to take it out. please warn me so i dont do it all for nothing!! yikes i'm only looking to use my old computer for MP3's and screen saver or what not, maybe the occasional game of solitaire in traffic haha nothing huge though. thanks

Hall
Old 07-21-2001, 05:41 PM

Lets be realistic. DVD in car is rarely used while driving.. if anything its more of a hazard.. also, if you were to watch that with your car off, powered by battery instead of altenator, how long could you watch tv w/o charging the battery? (also, your battery doesnt like this unless its a deep cycle)

Its just not worth the money unless its a show car.

I think the same could apply for computer.. the only thing i can see a computer being used for is mp3s.. my friend has done it without a monitor, hacking win98a's bootup to make winamp the explorer, with a keypad plugin to control songs. (song list printed up)

But anyways.. dvd & screens in car just $ down the hole.. it looks all nifty, but so what?
Old 07-21-2001, 06:53 PM

i guess you have a point... but having so many songs right there would be pretty nice, considering i already have the computer... thanks anywho
Old 07-21-2001, 08:04 PM

i guess you have a point... but having so many songs right there would be pretty nice, considering i already have the computer... thanks anywho
Thats why i bought a mp3 deck.
Old 07-21-2001, 09:13 PM

ok, so why did you rip it all out?? wouldnt you want the DVD and GPS that your new system wont offer?? why go through all that just to take it out. please warn me so i dont do it all for nothing!! yikes i'm only looking to use my old computer for MP3's and screen saver or what not, maybe the occasional game of solitaire in traffic haha nothing huge though. thanks

Hall

Pretty much for the reasons Dave said. DVD is really neat/cool for a month or two, but it makes NO SENSE. Why would I sit in my car and watch a movie? I have a gorgeous digital 40" TV in my living room. Do I really want a movie going while I'm driving? I did this ONE time and it felt incredibly stupid.

Also, as for the Mp3's and visualizations and "wow" factor, yeh, that's novel for a few weeks. But it was SUCH a pain to boot, such a pain to keep it working, the video only synced half the time, etc.etc.

Plus my new in-dash MP3 player has some modest visuals, that's good enough.

As for GPS/nav, I can throw that in later. That's another thing that was neat for about a month. When do I need it? 99.99999% of the time I am in an area I know. The other times, I can bring a $6 atlas along.
Old 07-22-2001, 06:57 AM

aight (*bump*)
Old 07-22-2001, 07:57 AM

aight (*bump*)
I know this is rather a dead thread by now. But I saw this thingy once for MP3's that worked like this. It's this box type thing where you put your actual MP3 drive inside of it, close the box up and on the outside it projects your folders and files, etc. It has a standard headphone and AV out jack so you can plug it into a radio or one of those cheapo cassete thingys, I saw this on ebay a few weeks ago forgot the name but it was around 300 bones...
Old 07-22-2001, 06:30 PM

as far a the LCD since a 6.8 raw screen is the biggest vertically that will fit. U only get about a half inch space on either side of it. U can also use a 6.8 widescreen, but I don't think its as tall as the square one. AS FAR as using it I have a TV tuner that I use everyday, watch the news on the way home from work in traffic and what not. For the dvd I used a ps2 its only 300 bucks and U got dvd and ps2 games which R great for long trips w/friends.
Old 07-23-2001, 09:44 AM

JeepRage don't let these guys discourage you =)

JeepRage,
Without a doubt the best thing I've done to my maxima is the computer project... it is a novelty, and it is a "wow" factor but since mine works, it's also a great help. I have a 5.6" lcd in the dash with a 300mhz celeron in the trunk and a 20gb hd. I use it exclusively for mp3's and videos (both divx and music videos) and gps. The thing that helped me out i think is that i custom wrote the software to run it - so it runs just how i want it to (and looks damn good too with the winamp visualizations). I control it by remote and control the playing of all my mp3's (sure beats switching cd's) and the movies and music videos. Ever have to take a long trip somewhere? I went the other day to great adventure and with my ex gf in the car and 3 of my friends in the back the trip went alot smoother with fast and furious playing =)

like i said, what i think helped me along was the fact that i could custom write the program to play everything. i don't think i would be as happy if i had to rely on windows media player or winamp or something to play all my stuff.

i also think that with something like this you have to stay simple. No offence maini30 - but i think the reason your system got so frustrating and didn't work too well is because you made it too complicated. I have a small computer, big hd and a $50 video out car to my screen. aside from an IRMAN for the remote, that's it.

oh - and last thing - don't let anyone fool you... there is no substitute for video... at first i had my computer playing with no tv - just right to the stereo and i always thought "this is #$@##$^ cool!!!" Once i added video and could SEE the playlist and the songs coming up - and had a kickass visualization bumping with the music (that absolutely looks fantastic at night) I could never go back.

Sure it's a showoff peice... but isn't a stillen body kit? or nice rims?

go for it - and if you need help with any of the planning don't hesitate to email me... i always help whenever i can since a lot of people helped me to get my **** started.

anyway - click on the link in the sig to see install pics and specs. the pics are of the older system, i'm currently redoing everything with a custom trunk and updated software (this is taking so much longer than i expected but i'm working two jobs this summer sooooooooo) =)

hopefully by fall it will all be completed!!

take care,
chris
Old 07-23-2001, 10:13 AM

Re: JeepRage don't let these guys discourage you =)

Originally posted by CKNY
JeepRage,
Without a doubt the best thing I've done to my maxima is the computer project... it is a novelty, and it is a "wow" factor but since mine works, it's also a great help. I have a 5.6" lcd in the dash with a 300mhz celeron in the trunk and a 20gb hd. I use it exclusively for mp3's and videos (both divx and music videos) and gps. The thing that helped me out i think is that i custom wrote the software to run it - so it runs just how i want it to (and looks damn good too with the winamp visualizations). I control it by remote and control the playing of all my mp3's (sure beats switching cd's) and the movies and music videos. Ever have to take a long trip somewhere? I went the other day to great adventure and with my ex gf in the car and 3 of my friends in the back the trip went alot smoother with fast and furious playing =)

like i said, what i think helped me along was the fact that i could custom write the program to play everything. i don't think i would be as happy if i had to rely on windows media player or winamp or something to play all my stuff.

i also think that with something like this you have to stay simple. No offence maini30 - but i think the reason your system got so frustrating and didn't work too well is because you made it too complicated. I have a small computer, big hd and a $50 video out car to my screen. aside from an IRMAN for the remote, that's it.

oh - and last thing - don't let anyone fool you... there is no substitute for video... at first i had my computer playing with no tv - just right to the stereo and i always thought "this is #$@##$^ cool!!!" Once i added video and could SEE the playlist and the songs coming up - and had a kickass visualization bumping with the music (that absolutely looks fantastic at night) I could never go back.

go for it - and if you need help with any of the planning don't hesitate to email me... i always help whenever i can since a lot of people helped me to get my **** started.

anyway - click on the link in the sig to see install pics and specs. the pics are of the older system, i'm currently redoing everything with a custom trunk and updated software (this is taking so much longer than i expected but i'm working two jobs this summer sooooooooo) =)

hopefully by fall it will all be completed!!

take care,
chris
like mainei30 convinced me a few weeks ago that the computer was a bad idea, but like i go to your site and i see your phat a$$ **** im like WOOOOOOOOOOOO, im gonna email you dude i need more info,!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2001, 11:20 AM

Re: JeepRage don't let these guys discourage you =)

Perhaps a decent point, no offense taken. When I do something I tend to overdo it, yeh. But I couldn't deal with boot times, shutdown issues, etc. etc. it drove me crazy. Detracting from the old project was a complete lack of elegance - nothing worked easy, nothing was intuitive, the display on the screen suked, even at low-res, the dash piece looked like crap, the Alpine unit was unreliable for video syncing (I, too, used video out) etc. etc. It took several minutes to boot, if I was lucky. Remember, elegance and daily workability isn't required for show cars -- I mean, the guys you see at HIN, etc. are there all of the night before making everything work right -- and then you usually can't touch the thing coz they know it'll crash and take an hour to get working again...

My new in-dash RIO is a perfect solution from my perspective. Zero boot time, zero problems, tons of storage, visualizations and nice display (granted not as nice as 6" color screen with winamp, but that's a tradeoff I can live with).

I agree with you.

However, after lots of thought, lots of work, and lots of cash, I think the solution I have in my car now is the best one I've done yet. It's got an elegance and (as you mention) simplicity that my last one couldn't even touch.
Old 07-23-2001, 09:17 PM

Re: Re: JeepRage don't let these guys discourage you =)

thanks for all help so far, keep it coming guys!!

Hall
Old 07-24-2001, 05:29 AM

Re: Re: JeepRage don't let these guys discourage you =)

Originally posted by MaineI30

Perhaps a decent point, no offense taken. When I do something I tend to overdo it, yeh. But I couldn't deal with boot times, shutdown issues, etc. etc. it drove me crazy. Detracting from the old project was a complete lack of elegance - nothing worked easy, nothing was intuitive, the display on the screen suked, even at low-res, the dash piece looked like crap, the Alpine unit was unreliable for video syncing (I, too, used video out) etc. etc. It took several minutes to boot, if I was lucky. Remember, elegance and daily workability isn't required for show cars -- I mean, the guys you see at HIN, etc. are there all of the night before making everything work right -- and then you usually can't touch the thing coz they know it'll crash and take an hour to get working again...

My new in-dash RIO is a perfect solution from my perspective. Zero boot time, zero problems, tons of storage, visualizations and nice display (granted not as nice as 6" color screen with winamp, but that's a tradeoff I can live with).

I agree with you.

However, after lots of thought, lots of work, and lots of cash, I think the solution I have in my car now is the best one I've done yet. It's got an elegance and (as you mention) simplicity that my last one couldn't even touch.
excellent - i saw your post on the new setup... i like. =) I'm not sure I could go without a screen but that rio sure looks pretty interesting. too much $$$$ for my wallet though Do you have a website with specs on it or information, I'd be curious to read about it.

btw - congrats on the new set up - looks like you are pleased.
Chris
Old 07-24-2001, 06:17 AM

rio etc

excellent - i saw your post on the new setup... i like. =) I'm not sure I could go without a screen but that rio sure looks pretty interesting. too much $$$$ for my wallet though Do you have a website with specs on it or information, I'd be curious to read about it.

btw - congrats on the new set up - looks like you are pleased.
Chris
Thanks man. I definitely am pleased.

The Rio is at:

http://www.riohome.com/products/riocar.htm

buttons on left for more info.

later
Old 10-28-2001, 05:35 AM

here is mine

I have done it nicely with bookPC and a 6.4" monitor for mp3 and visual effect.

take a look at my link:

http://members.sounddomain.com/chrislee8dotcom

I took it out cause my learning purpose is reached and I need my computer back!!! hehe

Computer project is cool but it is not professional enough, it is very hard to do it perfectlly without the professional tools.