Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Alpine and Computer Issues.............

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2000, 07:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

A couple more car computer issues I've run into -- I'm asking some opinions of people and I'm hoping you guys might know sumthin.....

For one, it seems I need to reset my Alpine unit (CVA-1005) each time there is a sync change -- example -- say the 1005 is on and I boot the computer. It syncs ok with the DOS boot screen, but when the video mode changes to the WIndows2000 desktop, it goes black.

However, if I wait until the computer is booted, then turn on the Alpine, I get my desktop. If I re-start the computer in this condition, the Alpine just goes black and stays black. If I then re-start the Alpine, I get my desktop. Seems like the Alpine locks onto one signal and stays there.. hmmm.. I've tried this with another video screen (my tv) and this does not happen.

Also, the fonts are miserably tiny in some programs. I've messed with windows so that the fonts (most fonts) are larger, but some programs (such as StreetAtlas) insist on keeping some of their fonts quite small and it makes them unreadable on the Alpine display. I've even tried using Accesibility Options to increase font size and contrast, which works great for general windows use, but some programs still have system fonts they are using which are very tiny. Any ideas?

Thanks guys,
/aac
Old 10-20-2000, 07:55 PM
Disco Biscuit

How many colors and what resolution?

May be too much for the monitor to switch to.
Old 10-21-2000, 09:05 AM

Re: How many colors and what resolution?

Originally posted by Whitemax
May be too much for the monitor to switch to.
640x480x256.

I think you missed an important part -- the monitor will go to the desktop no problem, but you have to start the 1005 AFTER windows is at the desktop. It's like the Alpine will sync to one mode and stick to it until re-started.

/aac

Old 10-22-2000, 10:14 AM

I might not have gotten the whole story, cause I'm a little confused. Is the computer hooked up into one of the video inputs on the Alpine? If that's the case and you have the correct signal selected, everything should work fine. It is just following what it is given. You should turn the resolution down, because otherwise its not getting used and wasting resources. How are you bypassing Alpine's video lock? Are you using a toggle switch?
Old 10-22-2000, 07:13 PM
Disco Biscuit

What I was thinking is

that the monitor may not be able to handle switching between refresh rates. It may be able to handle the settings, but not switching to it. What hz is your refesh rate set at? If it's too high, it could be causing a problem. If its like 75 to 85 hz it could be too much. Have you checked it? I only ask because I have seen similar problems your having when working on Computer monitors at work. People set the settings too high and it starts freaking out.
Old 10-22-2000, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by xtantmaxima
I might not have gotten the whole story, cause I'm a little confused. Is the computer hooked up into one of the video inputs on the Alpine? If that's the case and you have the correct signal selected, everything should work fine. It is just following what it is given. You should turn the resolution down, because otherwise its not getting used and wasting resources. How are you bypassing Alpine's video lock? Are you using a toggle switch?

The computer's video-out is connected to the video-in on the Alpine's AUX-2 video input. I select AUX-2 and everything is NOT fine.. flaky... sometimes I get a signal, sometimes I dont.

I am bypassing the Alpine no-video-in-drive mode using the control timer override from Pacific Coast Audio.

The resolution is at the lowest, 640x480.

The issue is more basic than that, though -- I mean, sometimes it doesn't even give the DOS BOOT screen...

/aac
Old 10-22-2000, 07:38 PM

Re: What I was thinking is

Originally posted by Whitemax
that the monitor may not be able to handle switching between refresh rates. It may be able to handle the settings, but not switching to it. What hz is your refesh rate set at? If it's too high, it could be causing a problem. If its like 75 to 85 hz it could be too much. Have you checked it? I only ask because I have seen similar problems your having when working on Computer monitors at work. People set the settings too high and it starts freaking out.

You can't set a refresh rate on Tv-out, at least not on this card. I think composite video/ntsc has one refresh rate built-in, no other choices. Remember this is not outputting VGA. It's outputting composite video.

/aac