Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Anyone know if PPI Amps. . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2000, 08:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Are 1 Ohm stable? I have a PPI 2400 Amp, and because I thought I was getting a different amp, I got a 2 Ohm Sub. Because of this I haven't bridged the Amp to get the full 400W of power I can get from it as I doubt the Amp is 1 Ohm stable. . .

Also. . . If you think it is stable, how would i go about bridging the amp? I know it shouldn't be that hard, I just want to make sure i do it correctly.
Old 10-26-2000, 09:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

No, not that I know of. I've got both a PC2150 and PC4100 and they're only 2 ohm stable. I'd think you'd be trying your luck taking it to 1 ohm.

Originally posted by Adidas_Boy
Are 1 Ohm stable? I have a PPI 2400 Amp, and because I thought I was getting a different amp, I got a 2 Ohm Sub. Because of this I haven't bridged the Amp to get the full 400W of power I can get from it as I doubt the Amp is 1 Ohm stable. . .

Also. . . If you think it is stable, how would i go about bridging the amp? I know it shouldn't be that hard, I just want to make sure i do it correctly.
Old 10-26-2000, 09:36 PM
jmax

You can do two things. Since PPI has not posted the full specs on that amp you can call or email them to see what that would do to the amps performance and your warranty. You can also contact the sub manufacturer and see what load it presents to an amp in the frequency range you are driveing the sub. The load the amp sees varies across the spectrum we hear and it is rare that a speaker drops as low as what they are frequently rated. But check with the manufacturer.

Old 10-26-2000, 11:07 PM

if you try to run the ppi amp to 1 ohm it will get very hot when playing it loud, when it gets hot it will not produce clear music and the amp will not last long. it's best if you run it at 2 ohms.
Old 10-26-2000, 11:31 PM
jmax

97GLES Do you have experience with this amp? Let us know where you came up with the theory that this amp will get hot with sub rated at 2 ohms otherwise.

Old 10-27-2000, 05:44 AM

Also...

...as far as I can remember, the only 1 ohm stable amp that they still have around was the Pro650 (yeah, it's been renamed since the 2000 models came out). However, I never remember hearing about one other than that one that could handle a 1 ohm load at spec.

Also. . . If you think it is stable, how would i go about bridging the amp? I know it shouldn't be that hard, I just
want to make sure i do it correctly.
Old 10-27-2000, 06:14 AM
Disco Biscuit

Hey Jambo, find a place to do your install yet?

Old 10-27-2000, 06:15 AM

Originally posted by jmax
97GLES Do you have experience with this amp? Let us know where you came up with the theory that this amp will get hot with sub rated at 2 ohms otherwise.
i just made it up. not only did i have them we used to sell them and dropped the line because of lost of bass after 30 min. of loud playing vol. we picked up the rockford line and they will run up to just about 45 min before losing 2 or 3 dbs. i had 2 600 2ch and 2 400 4 ch in my car with 3 red top battery and i changed from ppi to fockford same set up and they rocked. don't forget that rockford has a better pwr. supply and runs between 9 volts and 14 volts. and they get hot too but not as hot like ppi
Old 10-27-2000, 07:00 AM

Re: Hey Jambo, find a place to do your install yet?

Not yet. Gotta get outta football season first so that my weekends are free to get out and do some installer interviewing. I'll keep ya posted, though!

Originally posted by Whitemax