Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

help with install of 5 channel amp

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2001, 10:44 AM

help with install of 5 channel amp

ok
im kinda stuck here

this is my first 5 channel amp

i only owned 2 channels

so im kinda confused about the rcas

im running my stock head unit

that has 1 set of rcas out

now i hooked everything up but only channel 1 and 2 worked

or 3 and 4 worked if i moved teh rcas around

does this mean i have to install another set of rca wires??

do i have to buy a adjustable output adaptor???
and where does that hook up too?
do i have to do it also with the the 5 channel???

help me
Old 09-28-2001, 01:05 PM

Re: help with install of 5 channel amp

Originally posted by rino_2kmax
ok
im kinda stuck here

this is my first 5 channel amp

i only owned 2 channels

so im kinda confused about the rcas

im running my stock head unit

that has 1 set of rcas out

now i hooked everything up but only channel 1 and 2 worked

or 3 and 4 worked if i moved teh rcas around

does this mean i have to install another set of rca wires??

do i have to buy a adjustable output adaptor???
and where does that hook up too?
do i have to do it also with the the 5 channel???

help me

most 5 channel amps have a switch that controls the number of inputs and how many channels are driven. If there is no switch, then get a set of y adapters (female split to males) and hook them up that way. it is not best way to do it, but it is the cheapest. The best way ... buy a new head with 3 outputs.

I had to do that a long time ago with a stereo of mine and I was concerned about burning out the head, but I never had any problems. I know several people who are doing that now, so I'd say just get the adapters and go from there.

later,
Old 09-28-2001, 01:40 PM

well im looking to keep the stock head unit

i already have a set of rca coming from my stock head unit

and i have it hooked up to channels 1&2
now i need a set of rcas for channel 3 & 4
and i think for channel 5 too

i dont konw im kinda confused
Old 09-28-2001, 02:09 PM

well im looking to keep the stock head unit

i already have a set of rca coming from my stock head unit

and i have it hooked up to channels 1&2
now i need a set of rcas for channel 3 & 4
and i think for channel 5 too

i dont konw im kinda confused

what amp do you have??

you don't need another set of rca's. just get the y adapters and plug the y adapters into the amp. you can split them at the head but that is gonna cost you y adapt and rca's when you can just use the y adapts only. Once you plug in both sets on channels 1-4 channel five should work too. If it doesn't are you dead set on a 5 channel amp? If not take it back and get one that will work for your setup. I know mtx's 5 channel works with single inputs (it has the switch) and is a good amp.

what does your instruction/installation manual say?
Old 09-28-2001, 04:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Using Y-adaptors isn't a good idea because you won't be able to adjust front/rear fading and sub level. You should get a DIN or ½ DIN signal processor that splits the signals 3 ways and provides fader and sub level control. You have 3 DIN spaces in the dash, so there is plenty of room, and will end up sounding much better.
Old 09-28-2001, 07:36 PM

i got a alpine mrv 357 5 channel
Old 09-28-2001, 11:07 PM

i got a alpine mrv 357 5 channel

if you look on page 11 of your instruction manual it talks about the input channel selector switch. it has 3 different positions. most likely you will have to still use y adapters but that switch will help you installation process. i do not believe you can have one set of rca's run all speakers. the last switch position of "5" talks about a mixed signal. my suggestion is just to read that section over and determine which is best for you.

as for the other suggestion of a seperate 1/2 din unit ... i don't see how that would work since he's keeping his stock unit. there is no place in the dash to put that unit, and he would still lose his ability to fade with that unit. since that splitter would have to be mounted in the glove compartment, center console, trunk ... it would elimate driver's seat setting anyway. also since his amp will have input settings for front, rear, and sub he will be able to contour the sound there and not need to "shape" the sound from the head unit.
Old 09-28-2001, 11:11 PM

just saw this...

page 14 gives a diagram for the usage of 1 rca input. that should help as well.
Old 09-28-2001, 11:15 PM

do you have the same amp?
Old 09-28-2001, 11:38 PM

do you have the same amp?

no, after you told me the model number, I went to alpine's site and downloaded the manual. they have the manuals for all their products via .pdf downloads.

honestly if this is not the setup you are looking for, get your money back and get the mtx 5400 5 channel amp. that is the one i had and i know it can accept 1 input to run all 5 channels. i did it for about a month.

also, what sub(s) are you using. do you think the 100 watts is enought to power it/them. most likely you should only have 1 b/c the amp is only stable to 4 ohms on the sub channel. of course you could 2 ohm subs and such, but I was just wandering. that mtx's sub channel is stable to 2 ohms (the only amp to have this ability to the best of my knowledge).

Well good luck with whatever you do.

Later,
Old 09-29-2001, 09:21 AM

what was the model number you said on the mtx amp??
Old 09-29-2001, 10:58 AM

what was the model number you said on the mtx amp??

my bad, the 5400x was what I used to have. they have changed the model numbers and now it is the Thunder 4405.

You will get more power than what they are saying as mtx amps are way underrated. with mine at 12.5v I was getting 55 watts in a 4 ohm load into the 4 channels, and 136 watts at 4 ohms on the sub channel. At 2 ohms the sub channel was pushing 274 watts. Also the sub channel has class d circuitry so it is pretty efficient.

Oh, and I am not married to mtx products. I know there are better amps out there. I used to say they were the best (and still feel for the money they are!) but after hearing the ppi's, xtant's, and the ma audio's I know they can be beat if you got the money.
Old 09-29-2001, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by ispeed

as for the other suggestion of a seperate 1/2 din unit ... i don't see how that would work since he's keeping his stock unit. there is no place in the dash to put that unit, and he would still lose his ability to fade with that unit. since that splitter would have to be mounted in the glove compartment, center console, trunk ... it would elimate driver's seat setting anyway. also since his amp will have input settings for front, rear, and sub he will be able to contour the sound there and not need to "shape" the sound from the head unit.

Umm, if he has 3 DIN spaces in his dash, and has a single-DIN unit mounted there, that leaves 2 full DIN spaces to mount a ½-DIN unit. And like I said, you can get signal processors with faders and sub level controllers. Look at the Alpine ERE-G180. I have one mounted right underneath my Alpine HU in the dash. Very simple. Very effective.
Old 09-29-2001, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by Micah95GLE

Umm, if he has 3 DIN spaces in his dash, and has a single-DIN unit mounted there, that leaves 2 full DIN spaces to mount a ½-DIN unit. And like I said, you can get signal processors with faders and sub level controllers. Look at the Alpine ERE-G180. I have one mounted right underneath my Alpine HU in the dash. Very simple. Very effective.

the stock head unit in the max is a double din unit. now unless we are talking about 2 different cars there is not 3 din spaces available (there may be in the '95 but not in the 5th gen!) if he wants to add one of those processors he has the options of moving the climate controls to make a din space, or mount it in the glove box, or center console. Now I'll admit that one those processors will help, but how often do you use your fade??? everthing you lose with the y adapters in regards to the fade can be made up by adjusting the input gains on the amps.

If he has the gxe stock radio that is single din with the pocket underneath those modules are a definate option for him but at the same time, why would he keep his stock unit? That is such an easy replacement there is no real reason to keep it for an upgrade!!! Without seeing his car I would bet he has the double din unit and therefore he cannot mount a processor like you are suggesting!
Old 09-29-2001, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by ispeed

the stock head unit in the max is a double din unit. now unless we are talking about 2 different cars there is not 3 din spaces available (there may be in the '95 but not in the 5th gen!) if he wants to add one of those processors he has the options of moving the climate controls to make a din space, or mount it in the glove box, or center console. Now I'll admit that one those processors will help, but how often do you use your fade??? everthing you lose with the y adapters in regards to the fade can be made up by adjusting the input gains on the amps.

If he has the gxe stock radio that is single din with the pocket underneath those modules are a definate option for him but at the same time, why would he keep his stock unit? That is such an easy replacement there is no real reason to keep it for an upgrade!!! Without seeing his car I would bet he has the double din unit and therefore he cannot mount a processor like you are suggesting!

The fader on the signal processor is the fader that I used to tune the system. All of my HU controls are set to zero or center. And you still wouldn't have sub level control with Y-adaptors. And I bet he has a single-DIN HU. The third DIN space is the storage pocket under the HU cutout.
Old 09-30-2001, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by Micah95GLE

The fader on the signal processor is the fader that I used to tune the system. All of my HU controls are set to zero or center. And you still wouldn't have sub level control with Y-adaptors. And I bet he has a single-DIN HU. The third DIN space is the storage pocket under the HU cutout.

well if you look at his profile it says he has the se model. that doesn't come with a single din unit. and if you look at the 5th gen maxima it only has a double din space for stereo equipment. like i said, if you want a 3 din opening you will have to move the climate controls or take away the center air vents. and yes you can have everything set to zero and tune your system from there. since i agree with this point, please understand what i am saying ... if he has the double din unit (which i bet HE DOES ... IT IS NOT PRACTICAL FOR HIM TO MOUNT THIS TYPE OF UNIT! if he absolutely wants to have control he can get a crossover, an eq or any number of units, but practicality is the point here!

i think he can get by with only one set of y adapters and everything will be fine. but we can sit here and agrue "if's" and "but's" all night long, but it really depends on what is important for him.
Old 01-22-2002, 07:42 PM

Is it practical to move the climate controls?

the options of moving the climate controls to make a din space
I have a 2k2 se with the bose double din HU. I'm looking to add my empeg to the dash.

With all digital climate controls, is it as simple as splicing longer wires into the climate controls so I can move them to the armrest?

If I move the climate controls, is it a standard 1 din space in there? is it deep enough? With wires, the empeg needs at least 6.5".

The climate control faceplate looks just a bit wider than would fit inside the center armrest. Has any actually done this and taken pictures to show how they got it in?