Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

mp3 headunit

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2001, 10:25 AM

mp3 headunit

rite now i'm looking to spend $300...here are my choices as of now...need to order or get one by this weekend...

1. jvc kd-sh99
2. rockford fosgate rfx9300

hey maximadave if u should read this thread what brand of mp3 headunit do u carry that are around $300 that's sounds good...

rite now i'm leaning towards the jvc unless someone can convince me otherwise...

anyone on board here has any of these head unit or have even heard it perform...please input ur experience here...
Old 10-06-2001, 10:31 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Retail wise:
Sony CDXMP450X at $329.00
Kenwood KDCMP8017 at $359.00

everything else is $400.00 and above

Maximadave

P.S. go with the JVC...
Old 10-06-2001, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by maximadave
Retail wise:
Sony CDXMP450X at $329.00
Kenwood KDCMP8017 at $359.00

everything else is $400.00 and above

Maximadave

P.S. go with the JVC...
i have looked into the sony and kenwood...the reason i am not considering them is just due to looks...they don't too apealing to my eyes...
Old 10-06-2001, 10:47 AM

Old 10-06-2001, 10:49 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

I dont blame you on the Sony and Kenwood
Old 10-06-2001, 01:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by maximadave
I dont blame you on the Sony and Kenwood
go with the jvc
my friend has one and its is way sic trust me and it looks hella sic
the quality is also good my friend loves it
Old 10-19-2001, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by Yellowbrother

this head unit rocks....i like it so far...after 1 hour install....10 minutes testing the unit...i like....tomorrow i will burn an mp3 disc to see how it plays....i paid a lil under 300 shipped to my door if anyone was wondering how much this cost....oh btw...i have bose system...bypass all the amps...and using my bose speakers in the rear...due to the low load of the bose speakers the rear plays a bit louder but nothing a fader control couldn't fix...
Old 10-20-2001, 11:02 PM

has the jvc player skipped at all yet? the reason i ask is because i owned an old jvc cd player and that sucker would skip alot. anyone notice this with jvc?
Old 10-21-2001, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by Gunner
has the jvc player skipped at all yet? the reason i ask is because i owned an old jvc cd player and that sucker would skip alot. anyone notice this with jvc?
it has yet to skip on me....on top of that i am not on my stock suspension...i got eibach/tokico...ride is harsher then normal...but like i said...i dunno if it's cuz it's new or cuz jvc got it rite this time...but it has yet to skip on me...
Old 10-21-2001, 10:10 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Even though I don't carry JVC, go with their MP-3 decks...very good

Maximadave
Old 10-21-2001, 05:56 PM

this head unit rocks....i like it so far...after 1 hour install....10 minutes testing the unit...i like....tomorrow i will burn an mp3 disc to see how it plays....i paid a lil under 300 shipped to my door if anyone was wondering how much this cost....oh btw...i have bose system...bypass all the amps...and using my bose speakers in the rear...due to the low load of the bose speakers the rear plays a bit louder but nothing a fader control couldn't fix...
Where'd you order it from? I saw it on the Zeb for $299 w/out shipping..I am growing fond of that player and may purchase it soon to replace my old clarion.
Old 10-21-2001, 06:13 PM

Where'd you order it from? I saw it on the Zeb for $299 w/out shipping..I am growing fond of that player and may purchase it soon to replace my old clarion.
um...i found it at an ebay store...it was $279 with $14.95 shipping...that guy was really prompt with everything...so was i...transaction took a total of 5 business day...
Old 10-21-2001, 06:21 PM

um...i found it at an ebay store...it was $279 with $14.95 shipping...that guy was really prompt with everything...so was i...transaction took a total of 5 business day...
Thanks for the quick reply.. Have you tried a CD-RW yet?
Old 10-21-2001, 07:50 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.. Have you tried a CD-RW yet?
i haven't tried my cd-rw disc yet...but i have tried my cd-r disc and it works like a charm..no prob reading mp3 files...now i dunno if it reads audio songs and mp3 files from cd-rw or just mp3 files...need to find that damn cd-rw disc to find out...
Old 10-29-2001, 04:02 PM

Hey yellowbrother...
So how has the JVC been treatin you?
Old 10-29-2001, 04:37 PM

Hey yellowbrother...
So how has the JVC been treatin you?
really good...but damn i still can't find a god damn cd-rw to try it on...but so far so good...can't wait to try it when i get a new amp added to it...i love the face out/angle feature that they have...let's me look at the unit better...and the mp3 id tag are coo too...it even has 4 band eq....bass control that only controls the sub...there's more coo features to it too...i am dropped and go over bumps all the time...it hasn't skipped on me yet...
Old 10-31-2001, 07:11 AM

I'm looking at the SH99 also. A friend of mine just bought one and it looks good. He's pretty particular about his audio gear also. This thread has just about convinced me to get it RIGHT NOW! I'm thinking about buying it here:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/pricesrite/kdsh99.html

Anyone ever heard of PricesRite.com?

Jim
Old 10-31-2001, 04:20 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

I dont sell JVC but I have heard good things about that model
Old 10-31-2001, 06:09 PM

Re: mp3 headunit

you definitely dont want a RF headunit, i can tell you that much
Old 10-31-2001, 11:53 PM

my model owns
Old 11-01-2001, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by OgreDave
my model owns
my model owns
Old 11-18-2001, 06:38 PM

hookin up jvc

hey yellow brother.. did you hook up the jvc on your own? if so.. this player doesn't have a remote turn on wire? which wire do i use? thanks
Old 11-18-2001, 06:54 PM

Re: hookin up jvc

hey yellow brother.. did you hook up the jvc on your own? if so.. this player doesn't have a remote turn on wire? which wire do i use? thanks
for ur amp u would wire it to the power antenna wire...it's blue...or blue w/ white strip...one thing u would notice with this headunit is that when ur unit is on whether it's radio or not...ur antenna will go up...
Old 11-18-2001, 08:22 PM

thanks yellowbrother... i have the player installed already.. have you tried a cdrw yet? if so which brand did you use? i tried one but for some reason all it said was "file check". thanks again
Old 11-18-2001, 08:48 PM

thanks yellowbrother... i have the player installed already.. have you tried a cdrw yet? if so which brand did you use? i tried one but for some reason all it said was "file check". thanks again
nah...i didn't find any of my existing cd-rw so i just gave up...i'm using a very cheap 100 pack cd-r for 16 bucks...and it works just fine...
Old 11-18-2001, 10:42 PM

for some reason the jvc player is splitting one mp3 song into a number of different tracks. has this happened to you? ive already tried three different name brands of cd-rs and all of them do the same.
Old 11-19-2001, 04:35 PM

for some reason the jvc player is splitting one mp3 song into a number of different tracks. has this happened to you? ive already tried three different name brands of cd-rs and all of them do the same.
hmm...that's new to me...i have 5 cd-r...with about 200 songs on each...i can honestly say i have listen to all 5....didn't do that to me...maybe it's ur burning software??? i have adaptec...
Old 11-19-2001, 06:37 PM

hmm...that's new to me...i have 5 cd-r...with about 200 songs on each...i can honestly say i have listen to all 5....didn't do that to me...maybe it's ur burning software??? i have adaptec...
i have it working correctly now.. the player works fine.. new problem now though. when you created your discs with adaptec, did the program change all your file names to MSDOS 8.3 file names? i cant figure out how to preserve the regular long file names
Old 11-19-2001, 07:16 PM

i have it working correctly now.. the player works fine.. new problem now though. when you created your discs with adaptec, did the program change all your file names to MSDOS 8.3 file names? i cant figure out how to preserve the regular long file names
what was the prob??? also...when i burn mp3 files...the only time it changes the file name is when the title format is wrong...it changes to a format to where mp3 player can read it...
Old 11-19-2001, 07:53 PM

what was the prob??? also...when i burn mp3 files...the only time it changes the file name is when the title format is wrong...it changes to a format to where mp3 player can read it...
it wasn't workin the first time cause i was using directcd and draggin and dropping files onto cdrs. once i used the data cd creator it worked fine.
except that it changes names... for instance if the name of the folder is Juvenile it will change it to JUVENI~1 cause it will only allow 8 spaces... does yours do this?
Old 11-19-2001, 07:56 PM

you should check out the jensen one, its only 199, check it out a crutchfield.com

its not as pretty as the ones ypou are looking at but way cheaper.
Old 11-19-2001, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by Mad Dhan
you should check out the jensen one, its only 199, check it out a crutchfield.com

its not as pretty as the ones ypou are looking at but way cheaper.
yeah check out jensen...compare it to the jvc...look at the spec...and look at what each have to offer...not knocking on any deck but if i wanted to save money i could have gotten aiwa for 150....i'm not sayin jvc is the best but for what it offered...it was worth the money to me...
Old 11-19-2001, 08:14 PM

it wasn't workin the first time cause i was using directcd and draggin and dropping files onto cdrs. once i used the data cd creator it worked fine.
except that it changes names... for instance if the name of the folder is Juvenile it will change it to JUVENI~1 cause it will only allow 8 spaces... does yours do this?
are u referring to when the title scroll across the screen??? or just the title on the file itself??? if it's the file then i dunno...but like i said before...the only time adaptec wanted to change the title is when the title format was wrong...if it's the title scrolling across the screen....it has something to do with the "id tag"...i dunno what that is but that was mention in the manual...
Old 11-19-2001, 08:21 PM

are u referring to when the title scroll across the screen??? or just the title on the file itself??? if it's the file then i dunno...but like i said before...the only time adaptec wanted to change the title is when the title format was wrong...if it's the title scrolling across the screen....it has something to do with the "id tag"...i dunno what that is but that was mention in the manual...
the title of each file on my computer is what i want it to be. the file names are longer than 8 characters and have spaces and everything. when i use the data cd creator and create the disc, for some reason it changes all the file names to make the MSDOS compatible (8 characters or less).

lets say one of my files name is... (Juvenile) Ha
it will change to ... (JUVEN~1.MP3
these names also show up on the screen as it scrolls across

all the song titles and folders are cropped down to 8 characters or less. some of my files dont have good ID3 tags so id rather keep "tag off" so i can see the names that i gave them.
Old 11-19-2001, 08:27 PM

the title of each file on my computer is what i want it to be. the file names are longer than 8 characters and have spaces and everything. when i use the data cd creator and create the disc, for some reason it changes all the file names to make the MSDOS compatible (8 characters or less).

lets say one of my files name is... (Juvenile) Ha
it will change to ... (JUVEN~1.MP3
these names also show up on the screen as it scrolls across

all the song titles and folders are cropped down to 8 characters or less. some of my files dont have good ID3 tags so id rather keep "tag off" so i can see the names that i gave them.

here is my solution...altho i do not know what is causing the problem or what to do to fix it....if the mp3 files play fine that's all that matter rite??? so just forget about it and enjoy ur new mp3 player...
Old 11-19-2001, 08:36 PM

here is my solution...altho i do not know what is causing the problem or what to do to fix it....if the mp3 files play fine that's all that matter rite??? so just forget about it and enjoy ur new mp3 player...
are your song titles displayed the same way? i still dont understand why the damn adaptec program does it that way... unless there is just an option change i am overlooking..
Old 11-19-2001, 09:09 PM

are your song titles displayed the same way? i still dont understand why the damn adaptec program does it that way... unless there is just an option change i am overlooking..
some of my mp3 display the whole title and artist...some only display what u were saying earlier...but when i burn mp3 files...out of 200 song maybe it only change like 3 songs...
Old 11-23-2001, 02:00 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Rio

The rio's kick so much more a$$ than the regular units. These regular units force you to burn CD's !! What a pain in the a$$!

Get a Rio and just add/delete songs to it as you wish

so much cooler

http://www.riohome.com/products/riocar.htm
Old 11-23-2001, 03:33 PM

Re: Rio

Originally posted by MaineI30
The rio's kick so much more a$$ than the regular units. These regular units force you to burn CD's !! What a pain in the a$$!

Get a Rio and just add/delete songs to it as you wish

so much cooler

http://www.riohome.com/products/riocar.htm
and how much those bad boys cost again???? and then u would have to take the deck out to upload song to it??? i would much prefer use a cd-rw and keep record on top of it...if only if i could find the damn cd-rw
Old 11-23-2001, 05:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Rio

and how much those bad boys cost again???? and then u would have to take the deck out to upload song to it??? i would much prefer use a cd-rw and keep record on top of it...if only if i could find the damn cd-rw

It's a pull-out unit. You have software on your PC, build playlists, add songs, customize (Linux), etc. then communicate with the player via USB. It kix.

I hate having to deal with CDs, cd-r's, etc. they are a pain in the butt and nowhere near as flexible as the rio unit.

I dont know how much they are, I posted a link, check there

Quick Reply: mp3 headunit