Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Question about JL Audio.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2001, 06:09 PM

Question about JL Audio.....

I am in the process of upgrading my system...I have a Pioneer HU with a Sony XPlod amp...I am looking to get rid of my MTX Subs and replace them with something else...I was looking at JBL GT12's, with my Sony amp ( 1200 watt Max ) Then I was also looking at the JL stuff....How are the WO series subs ?? I want something that will really boom and can take a good beating and still last ....I listen to rap and hip hop....so thwe bass is always there....Any suggestion ...And I can afford the W3's...too much $$$
Old 10-18-2001, 06:58 PM

Re: Question about JL Audio.....

Originally posted by Black90SE
I am in the process of upgrading my system...I have a Pioneer HU with a Sony XPlod amp...I am looking to get rid of my MTX Subs and replace them with something else...I was looking at JBL GT12's, with my Sony amp ( 1200 watt Max ) Then I was also looking at the JL stuff....How are the WO series subs ?? I want something that will really boom and can take a good beating and still last ....I listen to rap and hip hop....so thwe bass is always there....Any suggestion ...And I can afford the W3's...too much $$$
I would keep your subs and upgrade the amp, thats probably whats holding you back. No matter what u decided to do u should upgrade the amp and get the Jl's, Not the jbl's

Adam
Old 10-18-2001, 07:02 PM

well the subs are pretty much blown....But the JL W0 series says they only push 125 max....thats pretty crappy isnt it....I need something that pounds, and can handle the power...Thats why I thought the JBLS would be ok....
Old 10-18-2001, 10:15 PM

it's all about the amp..............well mostly.
Old 10-19-2001, 05:56 AM
OG and counting...

Originally posted by victor
it's all about the amp..............well mostly.
Since you are looking for a crisper bass "attack", you probably need to save your pennies and get the W3s. Then you would need to get a better amp to drive them. A good suggestion would be the JL Audio 250/1 or the JL Audio 500/1.
Old 10-19-2001, 06:13 AM

Originally posted by Black90SE
well the subs are pretty much blown....But the JL W0 series says they only push 125 max....thats pretty crappy isnt it....I need something that pounds, and can handle the power...Thats why I thought the JBLS would be ok....
Ok, time to point out a misnomer. The JL spec sheet says the Wo series will take 125W RMS. Basically if you can give them 125W of power, you are just beginning to give them what they really need. I had a W0 for a while and I was pushing a little more than 250W through it and the thing never faultered. You say that's pretty crappy, but that is not true. These subs were designed to play very musically with very little power. So you can get away with buying an amp that doesn't put out too much power but still get a decent sub that can rock the house.

Now about the (1200W Max) Sony amplifier, what is the model number please?

My suggestion to you is to sell your Sony amp and get a good amp...ie MTX, Rockford Fosgate, Kicker, JL. Then buy some good subs. I'm not trying to diss the JBL's, but if you want to go with a high quality sub, go with the JL's. You won't be disappointed. Prinz can back me up on this. My subs can and do rock the house!!
Old 10-19-2001, 08:25 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

I agree with Dustyroads too

I have 2 JL 10W3D6's with a JL250/1 sub amp and it kicks butt...

Maximadave
Old 10-19-2001, 10:19 AM
OG and counting...

Originally posted by Dustyroads

Ok, time to point out a misnomer. The JL spec sheet says the Wo series will take 125W RMS. Basically if you can give them 125W of power, you are just beginning to give them what they really need. I had a W0 for a while and I was pushing a little more than 250W through it and the thing never faultered. You say that's pretty crappy, but that is not true. These subs were designed to play very musically with very little power. So you can get away with buying an amp that doesn't put out too much power but still get a decent sub that can rock the house.

My suggestion to you is to sell your Sony amp and get a good amp...ie MTX, Rockford Fosgate, Kicker, JL. Then buy some good subs. I'm not trying to diss the JBL's, but if you want to go with a high quality sub, go with the JL's. You won't be disappointed. Prinz can back me up on this. My subs can and do rock the house!!
Very easily. I have heard Dusty's system and it cranks.
Old 10-19-2001, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by Dustyroads

I have to agree with him, I have 2 jl WO-4's in a 4 cubic foot box(2 for each) and I have to tell you, you will not be dissapointed.
Old 10-19-2001, 03:27 PM

I have 2 12"W3's in a sealed box, hit 137.4 DB in the simply imports custom car show at the rt.18 flea market, wasnt as good cause of my crappy car, in fact, i was goin to get the 12"W6's, but then the 12"W7's came out, so ill opt for them, they like $250-$300 each retail, if ya got the cash, get the better ones, hope i helped, L8R.
Old 10-20-2001, 12:58 PM

Re: Question about JL Audio.....

INVEST IN A GOOD AMP