Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Remote Start for my 5th Gen...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 02:40 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

Remote Start for my 5th Gen...

Since I've had my Max for the past 1.5 years and cold weather is coming up, I've been eying several remote start systems (all DEI, of course). On my previous car, I had a Viper 300 ESP w/o remote start. I've been looking at several models, and will most likely have it installed by Circuit City for $160 (unless I buy it from Best Buy).

First off, I like the idea of a LCD remote for the better range and being able to easily tell system status. Of course, I'll have to buy the bypass module and get an extra key made (I need to, anyway). My add-ons will include the window automation system (530T). Does anybody know if this add-on will enable one-touch up/down for both front windows AND the windows going up on arming and being able to roll them down from the remote? Also, any opinions on add-ons and the Clifford DEI systems?

Here are the models I've been looking at:

Hornet 564T
Python 871XP
Viper 771XVR

Edit: Just noticed the Python and Viper I referenced above are essentially the same system...

Last edited by SilverGLE; 10-15-2007 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:11 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

I can guarantee after keyless entry,trunk pop,immobilizor bypass,etc are all factored in the price will be substantially more than the $160 you have in mind.

The 530T will give one touch on the PAIR of windows it is connected to. IF set to it will roll them up when arming and down via AUX channel. Just keep in mind you will need TWO 530Ts to cover all windows.

I would honestly pass on the LED units and spend the couple extra bucks for the LCD. More appealing and seems to be easier to view. Also range is more limited and response time is a bit slower compraed to the 'Responder' units.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:39 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

^ Well, I checked out CC's web site for their Firedog remote start install here. For $160, it should include the install of the bypass module (but, of course, not the module itself). However, I called my local CC and was told the module was $50 plus $15 to install. Yes, I'm counting integrating the trunk release and keyless entry adding some more to the install price, which is why I'm going to visit them either today or tomorrow for sure. As for the 530T, I'll only use it on the front windows, so I'd only need one.

I also agree... LCD > LED. I'd like as much range as possible, but 200 yards line-of-sight should be plenty (rough estimate). Now, for some of the systems that come with LED remotes, is it possible upgrade to a LCD remote?
Old 10-15-2007, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by SilverGLE
^ Well, I checked out CC's web site for their Firedog remote start install here. For $160, it should include the install of the bypass module (but, of course, not the module itself). However, I called my local CC and was told the module was $50 plus $15 to install. Yes, I'm counting integrating the trunk release and keyless entry adding some more to the install price, which is why I'm going to visit them either today or tomorrow for sure. As for the 530T, I'll only use it on the front windows, so I'd only need one.

I also agree... LCD > LED. I'd like as much range as possible, but 200 yards line-of-sight should be plenty (rough estimate). Now, for some of the systems that come with LED remotes, is it possible upgrade to a LCD remote?
I would predict an easy double on the overall price. Also bear in mind they charge for 'parts' this includes relays,some wiring,etc..

The LCD and LED are different systems, so the remotes will not work together.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:51 PM

Also if Im reading correctly, that $160 covers the labor Only. The remote start still needs to be purchased.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:42 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

^ Yup. I talked to them tonight at here's what I got, bearing in mind I'm going to stop by the CC install bay tomorrow afternoon so they can examine the car and I can get a better price estimate.

@ CC:

$50 for the bypass module and $30 to install. This is twice what I was told over the phone, and the audio guy in the store told me my best bet would be to stop by the install bay when they're open (got there right after they closed).

@ BB:

$52.99 for the bypass module and $35 to install it. And they charge $199.99 to install a remote start system. The guy in their install bay looked up my car in their system and told me I'd need a relay for the trunk pop but not for the interior light when I disarm the system.

Yeah, I'm very familiar with how the "basic" install quickly turns advanced and more $$$ with any car made within the past 10 years or so... So far, if I buy a DEI system somewhere else besides BB or CC, it's looking like $160 to install it, $50 for the module, $30 to install the module, and the price of the system. Basically $240 to get it installed if I buy somewhere else, $80 if I buy at CC or BB. Sucks that the LED and LCD can't be used together... Ah, well.

Last edited by SilverGLE; 10-15-2007 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:52 AM
I'm watching you, boy...

I've confirmed the price at Circuit City for the bypass module... $50 for the part and $30 to install. Looks like they'll be installing my alarm after I purchase it. I'll probably go with the Hornet 564T, I'll just have to shop around and see what I can find locally... Thanks for the advice, Pearl96Max! By the way, what's your opinion on buying DEI modules off Ebay? Probably not going to bother with fleabay for something this important...
Old 10-16-2007, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by SilverGLE
I've confirmed the price at Circuit City for the bypass module... $50 for the part and $30 to install. Looks like they'll be installing my alarm after I purchase it. I'll probably go with the Hornet 564T, I'll just have to shop around and see what I can find locally... Thanks for the advice, Pearl96Max! By the way, what's your opinion on buying DEI modules off Ebay? Probably not going to bother with fleabay for something this important...
Definately search around, but check the reputation of who you find ... how long have they been doing this, warranty coverage,etc. While most will bash CC and BB some of the locations Do actually have competent installers. Also you know they will still be there if/when needed. I'm a mom&pop type shop myself, but nothing wrong with the Big boxes if you feel comfortable with them.

As a dealer myself I can't offer any support for shopping the fleabay route. In fact I'm quite anti fleabay myself.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Definately search around, but check the reputation of who you find ... how long have they been doing this, warranty coverage,etc. While most will bash CC and BB some of the locations Do actually have competent installers. Also you know they will still be there if/when needed. I'm a mom&pop type shop myself, but nothing wrong with the Big boxes if you feel comfortable with them.

As a dealer myself I can't offer any support for shopping the fleabay route. In fact I'm quite anti fleabay myself.
To the OP, decent circuit city installers are harder to come by these days seeing as how in the past year theyve restructured/laid off some managers, laid off everyone leftover from the commission days (i.e. employees with 4+ years experience), as well as lowered some starting pay rates. So please ask some questions to the installer who will work on your car because especially with add-ons like window automation, there are way too many n00bs out there. Not saying best buy or a local mom and pop shop will be any better in your town, just going off my own experience...knowing/trusting your installer is key.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:44 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

Originally Posted by kpr10is
To the OP, decent circuit city installers are harder to come by these days seeing as how in the past year theyve restructured/laid off some managers, laid off everyone leftover from the commission days (i.e. employees with 4+ years experience), as well as lowered some starting pay rates. So please ask some questions to the installer who will work on your car because especially with add-ons like window automation, there are way too many n00bs out there. Not saying best buy or a local mom and pop shop will be any better in your town, just going off my own experience...knowing/trusting your installer is key.
I completely agree! Back when I had my Viper install in my LeSaber, the installer at CC f-ed up the install and forgot the relay for the interior lights, as well as disconnected my headunit and CD changer. They fixed the interior light problem (another 1.5 hours) and fixed the headunit for free, since they installed it. But they swore up and down they couldn't fix the changer because I had the remote wire for it tapped on one side of the ACC fuse in the fuse box. FWIW, this was back in 1999... Finally had to get my dad to talk to the install manager, after I found out the CC store manager had 0 control over the install. :rolleye:

I'm seriously weighing my options, and will make a decision within the next month or so. I'm leaning towards BB, just because the guy I talked to seemed to know what he was doing, and spoke well of the morning install guy. Also, they were able to point me in the right direction for exact pricing. BB's longevity will definitely be > CC's, IMO, as well.

I'm not opposed to a local installer, but considering I don't know how much longer I'll remain in/around Knoxville (graduating in 2 months ) I like the idea of a chain that I can trust. Unless I find good deals on the modules (or find out that an ebay seller is a licensed dealer), I'll be sticking with only what I need: the bypass module.

Speaking of the bypass, have either of you bought blank keys off Ebay? I called some places today about getting extra keys made (I only have 2) and was quoted $70/each from a reputable locksmith (that supplies its own blanks). I'm hoping to buy a couple blanks off fleabay and have someone local program them all at once.

Last edited by SilverGLE; 10-16-2007 at 11:46 PM.