Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Circuit City tries to install Avic N2, causes $12K in damage

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 09:30 AM
Suspension Yoda

Circuit City tries to install Avic N2, causes $12K in damage

http://consumerist.com/373753/

And the thread made by the user on the forums over at www.8thcivic.com.:
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/garag...tallation.html

disclaimer: this is in no offense to you, of course, kpr10is.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It isn't just CC either. I have personally seen cars from other B&M's look just like this and take zero responsibility.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:19 AM

looks like Avi got to it...
Old 03-31-2008, 12:38 PM

Saw this on ca.com. Not sure why the ducts had to be cut, I've personally done a Z2 in an 8th gen civic at work and it fit in the dash fine without any modification. I can see the splicing because we don't stock the 70-1722 harness for the dash of those cars at my store either, but yes, the other hacking is ridiculous. I'd like to see it in person.

Last edited by kpr10is; 03-31-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:43 PM

Matter of fact, the one I did was so long ago that the 8th gen was brand new. The Metra kit wasn't even out yet I don't think, if it was we didnt have it at my store, so the customer bought their own OEM Nav kit from Honda and had me use that. Since this was the case, I even took some pics of the install, and as you can see from the date on the pic, I did it on Oct 21, 2006.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:45 PM

P.S. Nilesh, It was a Z2 being installed for that guy VTECnical, not an N2
Old 03-31-2008, 01:09 PM
Play with my balls

Hondas are susceptible to any type of stupidity. CC is

I've seen/fixed some whacked jobs from Freeman's Car Stereo before too. They spliced the harness just like this for every connection. It was a 97 Accord, you'd figure they'd have a car harness for one of those. doh
Old 03-31-2008, 01:20 PM

Honda owners tend to be cheap, hence the CC involvement from the start.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:15 PM
Suspension Yoda

Blah, N2/Z2/W-2, all the same to me.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:52 PM
tastey wheat

oh...my... god..

like I've said before, there are some good and some bad shops in both big box and small install shops, gotta find one with a good reputation. Id be pissed if I was that kid, Id consider posting signs everywhere of what happened to warn people. Its unfortunate that they wont even pay for all their mistakes..

djfres, iirc the Z2 is a half an inch or so longer than the rest.. other than that yea, a dd is a dd.

edit: then again, the guy didnt really have to go to the dealer, did he? could have bought the busted parts and had them installed elsewhere for less labor hours i would think. Maybe he was afraid to go back to an install shop.

Last edited by mendon99; 03-31-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:32 PM

IMO that guy is getting fukced from both sides, CC and the dealership. Its true that the CC insurance company should handle everything without any CC affiliated employees having to do anything besides give him the refund if thats what he desires. Just like a car accident, the 3rd party handles it. But I could buy a 71-1722 and have his radio harness perfect in 5 minutes, whereas the dealer is probably replacing that entire harness, and at $95/hr labor no less.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:14 PM
Play with my balls

Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality Quality
Old 03-31-2008, 08:19 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by kpr10is
IMO that guy is getting fukced from both sides, CC and the dealership. Its true that the CC insurance company should handle everything without any CC affiliated employees having to do anything besides give him the refund if thats what he desires. Just like a car accident, the 3rd party handles it. But I could buy a 71-1722 and have his radio harness perfect in 5 minutes, whereas the dealer is probably replacing that entire harness, and at $95/hr labor no less.

Its alot more in involved than that. The ducts cannot simply be spliced, the entire duct work has to be replaced. Also they apparently cut a bar that goes behind the radio/near the duct. THIS I imagine is what made Honda claim the car to be unsafe to drive.

Not defending Honda, just sayin' ya know?
Old 03-31-2008, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Its alot more in involved than that. The ducts cannot simply be spliced, the entire duct work has to be replaced. Also they apparently cut a bar that goes behind the radio/near the duct. THIS I imagine is what made Honda claim the car to be unsafe to drive.

Not defending Honda, just sayin' ya know?
And I'm not defending CC.
I never claimed ducts could be spliced. For 12 grand it better be a whole lot more involved.

I still dont understand why anyone would cut any ducts in the first place. Theres plenty of room in that dash.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:31 PM

Also the wire cannot be respliced.

I wasnt implying that you were defending CC, just replying to your 'fix it in 5 mins' post.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:52 PM

That wasn't my point Mr. Stubborn.

The point of the example of that ONE harness was that I'm sure Honda isn't giving him any breaks and probably overestimated some of the parts or labor. You don't charge more to fix other people's hack jobs when you are forced to do so? I know I do. They probably did the same.

Not saying I blame them either. I'd do the same. I feel bad for whatever tech gets stuck doing that lol.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:58 PM

Honda is more definitely taking advatnage of the situation. They know CC's insurance is involved and theyre nickel and diming every cent they can. I cant blame them either.

I was just stating that some of it is actually legitimate. Just back off bish !
Old 04-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just wondering, would you take your clients around in a Civic?
Dr J
Old 04-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What you pay for = what you get
Old 04-02-2008, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima_SE
So please enlighten me.
Since he spent $3100, he apparently got an install accordingly.

What does a typical head unit install look like then?
What does someone have to spend for you to not cut the dash supports and a/c ducts, let alone do any custom work?

I'd love to hear this one.

Edit:
Oh yeah, P.S. Stop whoring to increase your post count, newb.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:17 AM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by kpr10is
Edit:
Oh yeah, P.S. Stop whoring to increase your post count, newb.
Does it count if I'm a ***** that pw's?
Old 04-09-2008, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima_SE
It isn't what you pay, it's where you pay it.