Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Replacing Factory Stereo W/ Another Factory Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Replacing Factory Stereo W/ Another Factory Stereo

Hi. It has been a while since I have posted, but here's the situation. This isn't exactly a Maxima question, but it is Nissan related. My mother has a 2002 Altima. Her factory CD player started ejecting CDs for no apparent reason. Well, after her doing without a CD player for almost a year, I ordered her a replacement factory CD player from Greenleaf Auto Parts, a national insurance and salvage company. The CD player has a 6 month warranty. On the receipt is the VIN# from the donor car.

When I bought the CD player for her, they told me I would have to take it to the dealer to get an anti-theft code for the stereo. I haven't hooked it up yet, but I called a dealer to see if there was a fee for them to provide me with the code. They said they would have to reprogram the CD player and I would be charged an $85 fee for the "reprogramming."

What exactly do they have to reprogram? I can install the CD player myself, so that's not a problem. I called another dealer and they want $120 to do whatever needs to be done.

Isn't this something that I should just be able to show up to the service department and get done for virtually no $?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:57 PM

Factory Nissan radios dont have theft codes the way Hondas and other cars do. Someone is bullsh!tting you.

Do the install and see what happens. Should work fine.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

See, that's what I thought. I will be glad when the thing gets here so I can try it out. I just thought something sounded funny about the whole "reprogramming" thing. If nothing else, I would swap the CD mechanism between the two radios and put the original back in there.