Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Specific HD radio reception question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 07:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Specific HD radio reception question

I posted this in the Northeast forum but didnt get much help. Can anyone here that has HD radio give me their thoughts on whether the HD receiver will help me get the Yankees games with my new aftermarket HU.....Please see my full post below.

I would appreciate it.

My post in the NE forum:

"Hey guys.

Although you may not want to help me because of what I am about to say, I am indeed a Yankee fan in the Boston area. Flame away......

Anyway.....i am going to get my new headunit installed soon and I have heard that reception is much worse with the aftermarket HU, especially with the AM stations. Right now with the stock Bose, I can get the yankee games most of the time with a little static here and there, but I am pretty sure that with the new HU, I wont get the games at all.

I have thought about getting XM satellite to get the games, but I dont want to pay the monthly fee, and who know whats going to happen with the merge with sirius. Also, I know nascar switched pretty recently from XM to Sirius, so i am hesistant because MLB could possible someday do the same thing.

I am now looking into getting a HD receiver to try to get the games, but I dont know if I would get reception from the NY station up here. So I was wondering if you guys could help me out and try tuning in to am 880 with the HD and see if it comes in clearly before I go spending $200 on a receiver. Or if you have any thoughts on whether I would be able to get NY stations with HD in the boston area, that would be great as well.

I appreciate any help or advice you guys can give me.

Thanks."
Old 06-11-2008, 07:59 PM
tastey wheat

go to HDradio.com, and select your area to see if the station you want is even brodcasted in HD, it may not be as not many are currently. Is HD radio worth it? It probably isn't worth the price tag yet IMO, but the stations are definately night and day clearer.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:42 AM

I did go to that site and the station that I want to get does broadcast in HD. However, its out of NYC and I am in Boston. Like I said in my original post, i can get the games normally at night with the stock bose radio with a little static here and there, never in the daytime though.

So my main question is does HD radio with an aftermarket get better reception of weak signals than the stock radio?

Any advice or personal experience is always appreciated.

Thanks.

ps - mendon....that face in your avatar freaks me out.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have another HD radio question.......I bought a Visteon HDZ300 unit that hooks to the antenna in the back of the stereo....How hard is it to get to the back of the radio on a 2004 Maxima without bose. Can't find a post on that anywhere....HELP!!!!

Thanks
Old 06-26-2008, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jrogerb
I have another HD radio question.......I bought a Visteon HDZ300 unit that hooks to the antenna in the back of the stereo....How hard is it to get to the back of the radio on a 2004 Maxima without bose. Can't find a post on that anywhere....HELP!!!!

Thanks
its easy.

pull the trim around the shifter, pull the vents out above the radio, pull the radio.
there are a few screws. use a flathead with a rag wrapped around it to pull trim pieces out.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:39 PM

I just installed a Dual HD 6425 HU, and I am having real problems pulling in 880 from Boston. Granted, it was difficult with the OEM, Non-Bose unit, but at least I could get something. I do not think the reception is as good as the OEM. I don't know if it is the HU or the antenna adapter that I had to use to go from the diversity antenna to the motorola plug.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by 2DMax
I just installed a Dual HD 6425 HU, and I am having real problems pulling in 880 from Boston. Granted, it was difficult with the OEM, Non-Bose unit, but at least I could get something. I do not think the reception is as good as the OEM. I don't know if it is the HU or the antenna adapter that I had to use to go from the diversity antenna to the motorola plug.
Thanks for checking. I had my alpine 9885 installed last week and I am finding the same thing. I can get 880 sometimes still, but with more dead spots and a little less quality than with the stock. But I was expecting none at all so, I'm ok with it. I didnt think the HD would do too much, but figured I would ask. I am still considering getting the HD because the FM stations are a bit staticy with the new head unit and hopefully the HD will filter the static out.

Thanks.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:09 AM

I think you will be disappointed.
If the analog signal is weak, you are going to have a lot of "cut outs" with the HD signal. So if you get a HD tuner, make sure you get a good return policy with it.
The good thing, if the HD signal goes out, you can revert back to an analog signal, but then why have the HD if it is going to bounce back and forth between the two, just give me the analog. I wish there was a way to lock in the analog and prevent it from trying to get HD1.
I live and work in the Boston area, and with my OEM HU, would bounce between 107.3 and 97.7 for WAAF, but now, this head unit has difficulties pulling in either one. Same for 92.5 and 93.3. WBCN is pretty good, even their HD2, so is 92.9 HD1 & 2 and 98.5 HD