Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Factory Alarm with DEI Alarm Q

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 06:19 AM
I'm watching you, boy...

Factory Alarm with DEI Alarm Q

I've had this issue for awhile now, but I had a Hornet 564T installed in my 2000 Maxima back in October/November. I had to use the box to hold the key in order for the remote start to work (completely forgot what that DEI Part is called). But anyway, here's the issue. Everytime I take my car for service, or to a valet, or whatever, I put the Hornet in valet mode. However, every once in a while the factory alarm will go off.

This past weekend, I tried something different. I went to Firestone to have my tires balance and rotated, and I simply turned off the car, manually locked the doors from inside, and walked inside. I gave the guy my key, the work was performed, and whenever I got back to my car, I unlocked it with the Hornet remote. Upon opening the doors, the factory alarm went off again. I've been keeping the remote for the factory alarm in the glove box for when this does happen, so it was no big deal. But now I have a theory...

When I first got my Maxima and I had the factory alarm, I knew that I could lock the car with the remote and unlock the door with the key. I'm assuming that the chip in the key sends a signal to the alarm brain to disarm itself appropriately. Whenever I first had the factory alarm go off when disarming with the Hornet, I called DEI and questioned to them if the Hornet brain was sending the appropriate disarm signal to the factory brain. They told me to double-check the install with the installer (Circuit City, in my case). Could this be exactly what's happening? I bought the alarm opened but uninstalled off someone here on the Org (Mistake #1, I know) and found out that the first auxiliary channel doesn't work. Is it possible that my Hornet alarm isn't always sending the disarm signal to the factory alarm? Or did CC really just F it up that bad?

Cliffs: Hornet 564T installed in 2000 Maxima. Factory alarm sometimes goes off when Hornet alarm is disarmed via its remote. Is the Hornet brain not sending the right disarm signal to the factory brain?
Old 08-06-2008, 12:38 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

It should be quite simple actually ... anytime you use the key, button on the door or OEM fob it is setting the OEM alarm. If you use none of them then the Hornet will work fine and not cause the OEM to go off. Why does it do it sometimes? Most likely the chances are you (or someone) hit the button on the door upon exiting the vehicle.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:14 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
It should be quite simple actually ... anytime you use the key, button on the door or OEM fob it is setting the OEM alarm. If you use none of them then the Hornet will work fine and not cause the OEM to go off. Why does it do it sometimes? Most likely the chances are you (or someone) hit the button on the door upon exiting the vehicle.
That's what I was thinking... This last time is the only time I actually locked the door manually to test the theory that that also arms the Nissan alarm. From now on, I'll just had them the key and use that to unlock the door. Should keep this from happening 99% of the time.