Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Who here would be interested in kick panels and a "stealthbox" for 5 th gens?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2001, 05:30 AM
Disco Biscuit

Who here would be interested in kick panels and a "stealthbox" for our cars?

OK, heres the deal. I'm considering to make for sale custom fiberglass kick panels for 4th and 5th gen cars, (INCLUDING 5-SPEEDS) Heres the catch. These will be for midrange speakers (4") and a tweet, with the woofer left in the door. I have also been making fiberglass baffles for the doors and am also considering making them for sale, so various sized woofers can be made to fit perfectly, as they would be built to the specs of the specific woofer a person has. Both Delio and Turd Furguson are using some that I have built for them, and they could answer any questions you may have about how well they work. I am also looking into building a "stealthbox" like enclosure for 5th gen cars only, without woofer so the buyer can choose their own sub of choice.

Please note: This is only an idea at this point. I would like to see what kind of intrest there would be for such products.
I dont have prices at this point.Let me know!!!!!
Old 11-08-2001, 05:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I can vouch for the baffles

Hey don't give up on us 4th genners Jonathan. I would love a new set of kicks hehehee But seriously the baffles are very very good.
Old 11-08-2001, 06:06 AM

Totally interested here. Perhaps I'll trade in or sell my XR650-CS's for the XR 3 ways!!
Old 11-08-2001, 07:45 AM
Disco Biscuit

Now remember, the kick and baffles would be for both the 4th AND 5th gens. Only thing for 5th gens only would be the box...
Old 11-08-2001, 11:19 AM

If you can get some custom kickpanels made for the 3rd gen, I'd be interested.
Old 11-08-2001, 12:42 PM
Very sound, Mike

If it looks nice and the price is right, why not?
Old 11-08-2001, 12:45 PM

Got my attention!

I have a 5-speed 2001 Max Se I would be very interested in getting more info especially for the BOX!!!! Any ideas for the Stealth location???
Old 11-08-2001, 01:23 PM
Disco Biscuit

It would be in the same location as the JL Stalthbox for the 4th Gens
Old 11-08-2001, 01:38 PM

Im not intersed of of course. But I do have some q's to maybe help people decide. How do you anticipate the final look being? Will it be a tear drop shape? And if so will it extend to the floor. Or will it be another shape. How far do you anticpate them sticking out? How are you going to fasen them in. Will it be with the factory snaps or another way. Also how are you going to have it fasten in the rear by the firewall?

These questions with answers should help people deceide.
By the way doesn't q form have some already?
Old 11-08-2001, 01:45 PM
Disco Biscuit

No Q-Forms doesnt have one for the Maxima. I'm anticipating them being a somewhat teardrop shape, but until I can actually build a prototype, and sculpt it, I wont know for sure. It should mount like the factory panel, very simply and easily. As far as how large they are, I am planning on designing them with a 4" midrange only, so as to limit how large they are and how far they stick out. This is mainly keeping us 5-speed guys in mind. The total size should be no more than the width of the dead pedal. Again, Until I can build the prototypes, I cannot say for sure.
Old 11-08-2001, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by Whitemax
No Q-Forms doesnt have one for the Maxima. I'm anticipating them being a somewhat teardrop shape, but until I can actually build a prototype, and sculpt it, I wont know for sure. It should mount like the factory panel, very simply and easily. As far as how large they are, I am planning on designing them with a 4" midrange only, so as to limit how large they are and how far they stick out. This is mainly keeping us 5-speed guys in mind. The total size should be no more than the width of the dead pedal. Again, Until I can build the prototypes, I cannot say for sure.
Here is a suggestion that could help you out. Since your going for a 4" midrange why not build a semi flat kick that does not stick out more than the factory kick...that way the dead pedel is still there. The magnet can stick back into the cavitey that is behind the kick. The only thing is that the computer peice that is back there will have to be moved up under the dash not a big deal and i'm sure most will do it. For those with 5th gen's why not have them mount the tweet in the a piller...it works. But if you want to keep the tweet in the kick then you can mount it with a custom coaxial peice out of aluminum or into a prefab grill. or build it next to the mid closer to the door aimed up a little. Just some thoughts to help you get going.
Old 11-08-2001, 02:00 PM
Disco Biscuit

Thanks for the suggestions. Those are all ideas I've been toying with actually. The idea of a flatter kick panel is what I'm trying to go for, I just dont want to tell people that it would be flat until I can play with it, and get them aimed properly.
Old 11-08-2001, 04:02 PM

id be interested..
Old 11-08-2001, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by Whitemax
Thanks for the suggestions. Those are all ideas I've been toying with actually. The idea of a flatter kick panel is what I'm trying to go for, I just dont want to tell people that it would be flat until I can play with it, and get them aimed properly.
I can prob help you get going in the right direction if you'd like. Mine are very unadtrusive. But of course there 6"s so with a 4" it you should be able to follow basically the same thing we did and make it work. Again if you want...i can either email it to you or post it here let me know. Also you can see a pic of the passenger side kick on my hompage.

By the way I think its a good idea to make these for the masses. Thats why I wanna help.
Old 11-08-2001, 07:13 PM

I'd be very interested in the sub box. Do it!!
Old 11-08-2001, 09:48 PM

loox like many are interested.. i say go for it before some other company makes it, then get a copyright.
Old 11-08-2001, 09:57 PM

I want a 5.25" kickpanel thing made Or even 6.5" so I can fit what I have in my doors now (pretty deep so I dunno about that ..)

Then move up to 8"rs in the doors. That'd be sweeeeeeet.
Old 11-08-2001, 11:22 PM
jmax

Hey Jon,
Let me know if you want a hand with anything. Or the names of places I get my composites from. I can also put together a kickpanel with 5 1/4, and probably 6 1/2 inch drivers. But the dead pedal would most likely have to go, as it should never be used by a serious driver anyway. And If the dead pedal is a requirement my vehicle can not be used as a mold.

Old 11-08-2001, 11:26 PM

Originally posted by jmax
Hey Jon,
Let me know if you want a hand with anything. Or the names of places I get my composites from. I can also put together a kickpanel with 5 1/4, and probably 6 1/2 inch drivers. But the dead pedal would most likely have to go, as it should never be used by a serious driver anyway. And If the dead pedal is a requirement my vehicle can not be used as a mold.
if you wanted to build a set of kicks that still uses dead pedals u can actually still use your car as a mold.. just get a peice of wood, cut it to the shape of the dead pedal, and work around it..
Old 11-08-2001, 11:30 PM
jmax

I don't remember what shape the dead pedal had. Mine has been gone a long time.

Old 11-08-2001, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by jmax
I don't remember what shape the dead pedal had. Mine has been gone a long time.
uh oh.. see if u can find another 4th gen person i'm guessing it's close to 3x6x4" i'm gonna chop my deadpedal off soon too..
Old 11-09-2001, 05:22 AM
Disco Biscuit

Well, I have thought about loosing the deadpedal, but have been kind of staying away form builfing kicks that would need me to remove it, just becuase some might sell their car later on and want it to stay.Plus I (for now) am trying to come up with a kick that is super easy to install, without having to break out the deadpedal. If the dead pedal was to go, then I would look at dropping th 4" idea, and using 5.25" instead. But again, we shall see.....
Old 11-09-2001, 06:18 AM

Keep us posted! I'm quite interested. I had a question before how would you be covering the kicks? Factory or close to factory vynl (sp??). Also there will be a difference in interior colors so were you planning on covering the pods as order were made or find a neutral color? Just some things to consider. Good luck and as I said, keep us posted!!
Old 11-09-2001, 06:33 AM
Disco Biscuit

Originally posted by Dustyroads
Keep us posted! I'm quite interested. I had a question before how would you be covering the kicks? Factory or close to factory vynl (sp??). Also there will be a difference in interior colors so were you planning on covering the pods as order were made or find a neutral color? Just some things to consider. Good luck and as I said, keep us posted!!
They would be covered in Vynil that matches the factory color as closley as possible, OR leave it non covered so the buyer can cover it how he or she chooses...
Old 11-09-2001, 08:56 AM
EddieClayton

I'm interested, or rather I will be when I get my Max. I could put my CD Tech 3 way set to use.

Old 11-11-2001, 11:19 AM

I maybe interested for my 2k GXE 5spd, depending on the price. How much?
Old 02-26-2002, 09:44 PM
MaximaFreak

I ran across this thread in a search, what the hell happened? I am SO interested in kicks for a 4th gen. I've been looking for them for years. I don't have the patience to build my own and I know other people have them and could just make a mold to mass produce. Hell, if someone can just UPS me a tin foil/resin'd mold I'd appreciate that. I just don't want to deal with the angling of the tweet. I'm so **** it would take me weeks

Anyone wanna jump in on this?
Old 02-26-2002, 10:32 PM
jmax

Email Jonathan a.k.a. Whitemax. But don't expect the tweeters to be perfectly angled for your ears. But I am sure he can make a very good approximation, possibly angle both toward the center of the car.