Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

I'm an idiot...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2001, 09:19 PM

I'm an idiot...

I wasn't being careful enough and after screwing in a terminal on my cap not totally straight all of the threads are ruined. Nothing screws in there tightly, it gets to a point and then just spins around. This sucks if the $100 piece of equipment is ruined just because of one terminal.. Any way to fix this or another good way to attach the power leads? Man, all the installation of my new 4 guage went so easy too...ALWAYS has to be a crimp in things.

Thanks if there's any way to help this problem.

PJ
Old 11-11-2001, 12:43 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Where did you buy it at?
Old 11-11-2001, 06:07 PM

New off of Ebay.

Why do you ask?

PJ
Old 11-11-2001, 08:34 PM
jmax

Just tap it out to a larger size and replace the screw apropriately. And you probably know someone with a set of taps, ask around.

Old 11-12-2001, 12:10 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Go with Jmax's suggestion. I was curious if you bought it locally maybe they would of exchanged it for you.

Maximadave
Old 11-12-2001, 05:35 PM

Tap it out?

Never heard of taps...What do they look like, how do they put new threads into the hole? I'm gonna go ask my dad if he has any...Hopefully this will work, thanks.

PJ
Old 11-13-2001, 12:39 AM

Re: Tap it out?

Originally posted by speednsound007
Never heard of taps...What do they look like, how do they put new threads into the hole? I'm gonna go ask my dad if he has any...Hopefully this will work, thanks.

PJ
it's a tool kit you can purchase for not that muhc money.. you can either rethread a hole, or re thread the threads on a bolt, or screw.. very good investment for people that work on their own cars.. i'm just too lazy to get a set myself... but it's definately a tool to get.. just make sure when u tap (re-thread) the hole, you put the tool in straight. or else it'll make thigns worse.
Old 11-13-2001, 01:52 AM
STFU n00b!

Re: Tap it out?

Originally posted by speednsound007

PJ

taps.. they're what you use to cut threads in a hole you've drilled. they look like a screw, but they've got "flutes" kinda like a drill bit with threads. you drill out the hole to a size just smaller than the threads you want to cut (you've already done this part), then you run the tap down into the hole and it cuts threads into it. back the tap out, then you can stick a screw down in the hole.
in your case, you'll need one called a bottom-tap of bottoming tap. these have flutes all the way tot he end of the tap, as where a "regular" tap starts small and works it's way up to the full-size threads.
the problem is that the screw in the hole you're working on needs threads all the way to the bottom of the hole in order for the screw to screw all the way down.

Your best bet if you don't want to go out and buy a tap (they're $2-20, depending on size and quality) you can go to almost any mechanic or machine shop and they'll re-tap the hole for you in about 5 minutes. they'll have these tools laying around the shop, as they're common shop tools. Just be sure you completely discharge the cap before you hand it to someone else. wouldn't want to zap someone that's doing you a favor! :
Old 11-14-2001, 03:38 PM

Waht about just using some solder?
Old 11-15-2001, 06:25 PM

tried soldering

it didn't wanna stick to the poles very much, it wasn't working very well. I didn't think i'd be able to get a very good connection with that either since i need downforce to hold the ring terminals on tight. Found my dads taps. The biggest one may still be small though, trying it out soon. If it's too small I'll buy one at a local hardware store or something.

PJ